New to Running - What is a good "time" for a 5k?

Options

Replies

• peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    any time is a good time to run - but I prefer going out when it's not too wet and not too hot
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The C25k program is about running continuously for 5km OR 30min, not 5km IN 30min. Lots of people dont get that then feel all let down when they dont make that goal.
    Any running is great running, so be proud of that fact.
    Also, aim for distance first then build up your speed. If you run too fast just to make someones idea of a good 5km time you are going to hurt something and not be able to run at all. Slow runs are just as important as fast ones.
    It took me 10 weeks to complete the C25k as I got a cold and took a week off, I was also 33 and had 2 x 6mth old babies so running on no sleep lol.
    You can do this.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the c25k and signed up for a 5k in Aug. I just started week 3, but ended up doing a 5k with my husband last Sat. I ran what I could and walked some. I ended up with a time of 34:40. So now I have a time to beat in Aug. Most runners work at beating their last time. If you want to sign up for one now, walk/run it and create a baseline time. Then do your training and work at beating your time. Also once you are able to run work at beating your last time. That is one of the things about running you are working at your pace, the only one you have to worry about beating is yourself. I know I'm not a 20 year old runner, so I am not looking to win the race, just finish it and feel good about myself.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "bad" time. :smile:

Just completing a 5K makes you a winner in my book!

This.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    I have done the C25K app and I took a couple of extra weeks when I felt I wasn't ready to move on. 9 weeks is a guide only so take your time if you need to! I am running my first race in 2 weeks and I am soooooo excited. It's really a good idea to have something to work towards- especially for those times you need motivation!
    Good luck!
    You CAN do it!
    I am hoping to finish in under 30 mins- but we'll see!!
  • Rosy103
    Rosy103 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just sign up......I have a torn ACL that my doctor refuses to operate because of my weight which in turn caused me to be even less active making matters worse. I signed up for my first 5k and it inspired me to train for it. I started at 54 minutes...oh the shame. But I kept going....on race day I did 49. So on a trip to Dallas I got up one morning and signed up for another. 47 minutes .......so now I'm going to meet the kids at the Vampire 5k .....and this mornings training session had me at 43:18......look out. Wait I forgot the best part of the story........I lost 25 pounds. Yea me! Jump in the water is fine
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    I finished the c25k in August with other people on cool running, when we all finished we kept running and increased our distance each week. I ran my first race Ever in November (the Turkey Trot) and to my surprise I ran in 36 minutes. I started running when I was 42, I'm now 45 and still running. good luck :)
  • brandoncpage
    Options
    I'm a freshman athlete at William Peace at WPU, 18 year old male. I run four or five times a week... I usually complete a 5k into 21:00-21:30 minutes. I like to think I'm above average physically, considering how often I train. I would say a good time would be between 24:48 and 26:18. You would average an 8:00/8:30 mile.
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am 38 I did my very first 5K last Oct I didnt trained all just wanted to know how bad out of shape I was the first one took me about 2hrs and it was bad out of shape. Ive been joggin since then and I can jog 4 miles in 1hr I believe is a improvement. I am planning to do another 5k in the near future. Plan your 5K not right away enjoy your jog/runs theres a lot help here and do some more research.

Good Luck!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think there are several things that will determine your time. I run a lot, but I run slow. Call it genetics. I don't know. I am happy if I run a 35 minute 5k. When I tried training to get faster, running wasn't fun anymore. So I run slow and that's how it is. Most people that I know have a time between 35 and 40 min for their first 5k.
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    I did my first 5k 2 months after completing the c25k. A group of us also went on to the 10k board I liked feeling like I had a goal. 3 years later and I'm still running. Good Luck :)
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what other think is a good time. A good time for you will be what you can complete the distance in. The time will get less as your fitness, endurance and skills improve, but don't hurt yourself either by trying too hard. When I started back in Feb I could not run 500 m let alone 5 km. I can now jog 5 km in under 45 min with a current best of 43:44. I have lost 58 lbs so far and I am 51 with bad knees too.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options

This.

This again. Sign up for one soon (this weekend or next) so you can "experience" one. Most of all, whether walking, jogging slow, or any combo, enjoy crossing the finish line:) and hang up the bib somewhere to be proud you finished.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

This.
    I wanted to keep it under 30 for my first 5k, and 25 was my next goal which I (just barely) met. I'm going for under 24 next time. It's kinda how the game's played.

My PR right now is 25:34. Looking to be able to increase and hopefully get closer to 22 minutes!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Best answer: WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT! I suggest signing up for a fun run like a color run or something else like that... that way you won't feel the "pressure" to finish in any certain amount of time but you can take a stop watch and time yourself... and believe it or not... just having others running along side you will push you even harder!

I did my first color run in May and it was awesome! I finished in about 40min... I ran 2/3 of the time and walked the rest. There were A LOT of people walking the whole way. Go for it and have fun!

My 2nd color run is this Saturday.... I'm finishing 3mi in about 36 min right now on a treadmill... which is a little slower than last time... so we'll see how Saturday goes. Good luck!
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for distances rather than speed until the distance is so easy/automatic that the only way to make it tougher is to increase your pace.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    the first race is exciting enough to begin with. just go to enjoy it :)

pick one - use it for motivation and have a great time - the sooner you sign up the cheaper they are too btw.
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My 1st 5k I did in 45 minutes and that was with walking 10 -15 mins of that. Im a slow runner.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    It's taken me longer, but I started on the treadmill and running on the hard ground seems to take more out of you...
    Good luck to you whenever you decide to start.

If you enjoy treadmill running set your incline to 1 or 1.5. It is more realistic to running outside.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I ran sprints. So completing a 5k is good to me.

My best time is like....00:43:41
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!