Gaining weight from strength training?

Options
k2d4p
k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
I have added a lifting regimen to my workout routine for the past 2 weeks and I have gained 6lbs. I understand the concept of retaining water and I know that the body has to adjust to a new exercise. I am really not freaked out at all about it. I actually look better physically. I can already tell a difference.

My question is: About how long will it be before I start to lose weight again? I had about 15lbs to lose, but it has now been bumped up to 21lbs to lose. I eat really well, so eating is not an issue. I lift about 3 times a week.

Replies

• Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - you have moved to the next phase of weight loss. Give yourself another week then you should start to see your weight go down again. I try to eat half my workout calories - that keeps me maintaining when I change my routine - but an FYI is that muscle weighs significantly more than fat so you are seriously building muscle. Way to go!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't gain any weight from strength training. You could lift huge weights and not gain an ounce unless you eat more than your maintenance. Good job lifting though, most girls think it will make them a huge she-hulk when that is no where near the truth. I doubt you'll hold on to that weight though, like you said, you're probably just retaining water