Healthy Foods for Camping Trip

Does anyone have some suggestions for healthy foods that are camping friendly? We camp a lot and I need some better choices than the usual camping type of foods. I try really hard to not anything that's processed either, my body just does not tolerate it well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am gluten intolerant which makes it even harder since I don't like ANY gluten free breads....they're nasty!

I currently take greek yogurt, fruits, granola, fat free milk, protein bars, tri-tip steak, chicken breast, salad(but it usually goes bad pretty fast), eggs, nuts, cottage cheese, string cheese, and protein shake.

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Sounds like a pretty good start. What about peanut butter and carrot sticks, celery stalks? And raisins or dried cranberries?
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180 Member
    Sounds like a pretty good start. What about peanut butter and carrot sticks, celery stalks? And raisins or dried cranberries?

Oh yeah....peanut butter and apples is one of my favorite things to eat. How the heck could I forget that? LOL :smile: Thank you for your suggestions.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    hard boiled eggs!
    home made trail mix
    clif bars (if you can)
    lots of dried fruit, nuts & seeds.

if you have a camping stove, oatmeal
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Black bean salad = YUM.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Sound pretty good so far!

If you go camping a lot you could try making your own versions of dehydrated foods? That would cut down on the "processed" factor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2115897_dehydrate-package-food-backpacking.html
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Hummus has got some protein and I eat it with pretzels or tortilla chips but if you like raw veggies, they go good together too.
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180 Member
    hard boiled eggs!
    home made trail mix
    clif bars (if you can)
    lots of dried fruit, nuts & seeds.

if you have a camping stove, oatmeal

Thank you for the suggestions! I do take eggs with me & hard boil them. As much as I LOVE oatmeal it has gluten in it. :frown:
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    How about johnsonville turkey sausage and chicken sausage? That's what we are taking with us. No bun needed, I prefer mine without bun and mustard.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Turkey hot dogs. They only have 90 calories and about 8g of fat!!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Are you camping or hiking? I use couscous, which is very easy to prepare and has quite a bit of protein. Dried or dehydrated foods are good, fresh is always best.

Cliff bars are organic and very tasty for snacks. I also make my own trail mix, cheerios (vanilla yogurt flavored if you can find it) mixed nuts, dried fruits, and whatever else looks good. I use the Arnold sandwich thins instead of hamburger buns.

You can also pack tortillas and make some awesome wraps and camp,

To second what some of the others have said, eggs, any chicken or turkey based sausages are always a great option. You can also google up camping recipes and then adapt them to your needs.

With camping, if you eat it at home and have a good cooler full of ice, you can eat it at camp.