Flaxseeds

Options
teanabean
teanabean Posts: 168 Member
Tell me how I can add them to my diet. I can't get over the fact they look like teenie tiny bugs. :S I have never eaten them before but a friend of mine told me of their nutritional benefits so I need some suggestions please :)

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    pick up some flaxmeal & use it to make muffins
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/appleflaxmuffin.htm

or take flax oil. Barleans makes some super tasty flax oil supplements in liquid form.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    husband grinds them in a coffee grinder and adds to oatmeal, I put in homemade bread- in pancakes or waffles- sometimes I will put them on top of a salad, like sesame seeds.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I got the flax seet meal - the whole seeds are undigestable from what I have heard. The meal does not look like bugs. I sprinkle it on yogurt with fruit and agave nectar for breakfast, or mix it into a smoothie.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    grind them and throw them into smoothies/protein shakes, over salads, in yogurt, etc. You can add it to almost anything and it doesn't really have a taste. I buy it ground and keep it in the freezer.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I add as spoonful to my yogurt, cereal etc. It takes on the taste of what ever you put it into. It's pretty good actually.
  • wannabeslim67
    Options
    I have some organic flax seed and I just sprinkle a spoonful on top of my morning oatmeal along with some blueberries, but I have been told that they should be ground, otherwise they can harm your insides? Does anyone know if this is true? Cause I just sprinkle them on whole. But I guess of you can't get over the way it looks, you could put it through the grinder...
  • teanabean
    Options
    Well from what I have read, they will cause you to have diarrhea if they aren't ground.
    I will grind some up tomorrow and try them in my morning smoothie :)
    thanks!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Don't put the whole seeds into oatmeal. I learned that the hard way...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Add it to anything to make a crunchy topping or filler.
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I put a tablespoon or so of the ground flax seed on top of my salads. They have a very yummy nutty taste that adds a lot!
  • KQmom
    KQmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Nature's Path- Pumpkin Flax Granola Cereal, and love it!! Also good to sprinkle on top of some yogurt and berries for a yogurt parfait, YUM!
  • wannabeslim67
    Options
    OK, sorry to ask, but what happened? It doesn't do anything to me at all. And I really enjoy the nutty flavor. But maybe I'm OK because I actually chew the little buggers, so I guess I kind of do the grinding with my teeth?
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Do not buy the seeds - buy ground flax. The seeds just go right through you:)
    I put it in a lot of my foods--smoothies, salads, yogurts,
    when I bake I add it to my cookies, breads, muffins, cakes.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    She's right-- you have to ground them, or they'll pass right through your system not doing you any good. I usually buy the already ground flax, or I just grind a bit in my magic bullet.

I use flax in a TON of stuff too-- Make smoothies, and throw a tablespoon of ground flax in there. I also put it a tablespoon in my oatmeal in the morning, various cookie recipes, and I have an excellent recipe for Flax Sunflower Seed Bread for my breadmaker. We live RIGHT by a flax mill, so I have a bunch of recipes that I haven't used yet either. I find you can use it a lot like wheat germ.. throw in a bit here and there. Very rarely will you even notice it!
  • teanabean
    Options
    I keep hearing the whole seeds aren't absorbed but I just put some whole seeds on top of my nutella toast this morning and it was really good and I did not have diarrhea. But I chewed them up. I will be getting a grinder. Went to use mine this morning and saw it had broken :(
  • alannahjstewart
    Options
    I usually put a tbsp or two in my smoothie in the smoothie, I also add it to almost all other recipes I use. Whether it be cookies or muffins. Just make sure you use ground flax seed otherwise your body will not absorb all that it needs to.
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    I've read that you shouldn't heat flaxseeds, otherwise they lose their nutrional benefits??