suggestions?

Options
A couple of friends invited me to an Italian restaurant for lunch Friday. They don't have a website (they are a small family run place) and I'm am the worst person for picking the healthier foods! (I always fail those "which is healthier" quizzes!)

Any suggestions on what to go for? Stay away from? Etc.

I'm already planning on getting half of it in a to go box before I start...even though it's going to be a smaller lunch portion.

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A couple of friends invited me to an Italian restaurant for lunch Friday. They don't have a website (they are a small family run place) and I'm am the worst person for picking the healthier foods! (I always fail those "which is healthier" quizzes!)

Any suggestions on what to go for? Stay away from? Etc.

I'm already planning on getting half of it in a to go box before I start...even though it's going to be a smaller lunch portion.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast. I think every place serves those.
  • zoepane
    zoepane Posts: 209
    Options
    big salad
    chicken breast
    pasta with red sauce
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I donno...but have a lovely time out and good luck with your choices!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the cheese. Especially the Alfredo dishes. I learned that the hard way at Olive Garden.
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm going with Princess... Having it split in 2 it's wise and already a good choice. Don't stress over it. Portion control is the whole thing and once in a while everyone deserves a treat.

Whatever you have there, it's only bad if you feel so bad about it, that you come home and start binging, since you "anyway messed up". Enjoy a day out, it's awesome that you have friends to have lunch with! :flowerforyou:
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A garden salad with dressing on the side (low cal/fat preferrably)
    Minestrone or pasta e fagioli for soup choices
    Skip the bread
    Order baked fish or chicken breast
    Eat only a serving size of pasta without a meat or cream/cheese-based sauce--take the rest home
    If you can...skip dessert!

Good luck and enjoy! I loooove Italian food!
  • ninabonina
    Options
    choose salad, or choose speghetti with marinara sauce. no cheese. and limit the bread and don't drink. Choose Water. Eat only recommended portions, don't eat the whole plate and bring home the rest to eat another day
    Good luck!
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    If you can...skip dessert!

:laugh: after a pizza or pasta I never get myself to order desert. I'm too full :sick: I had to have just a salad (no meat or cheese in it) for dinner in an italian restaurant to get to order (and find out what that was) the panna cotta (don't beat me for it :embarassed: , I do allow myself treats every now and then and again :laugh: ).
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    A lot of them usually have a lemon chicken breast w/veggies.

If Olive Garden they have a delightful Apricot Chicken dinner that is yummy.

If they offer whole wheat noodles those are good... but the portion will likely still be huge, so put half in a box and eat half there.

In general you want: whole grain noodles, greens, veggies, grilled meat, tomato sauces, or extra virgin olive oil :) Mmmmmm.