HIT workouts? curious

Options
I just wanted to know what exactly that was referring to. Is it when you sprint for a bit, walk fast, then slow kind of work out? If it
is constantly changing your effort, I was wondering how you all do this on a treadmill----I try to do something similar, but I find when I am sprinting it difficult to adjust the treadmill. If I am wrong, then I would like to know more anyway! Thanks!

Replies

• jasthespazz
    Options
    hi!

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. I figure it's better if I just show you what I do, then you'll be able to get it.

elliptical-

3 minutes: maximum effort (level 20)
    1 minute: minimal effort (level 5)

and so on and so forth. on a treadmill, it would be sprinting or a FAST jog for three minutes and then a mild walk for 1 minute.
    of course this can be adjusted, but it's called HIGH intensity interval training for a reason. treadmills can be much more difficult though, so try building your way up first. maybe jogging for three minutes and a slow walk for one. this is just regular interval training. some people suggest doing 60 seconds full effort 15 seconds minimal. but it's all up to you! I find three minutes and one minute to be highly effective.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Also, some treadmills have a pre-determined programs where you can enter your minimum speed and maximum speed. It will then time your segments for you as well as give you a moderate pace in between.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    hi!

HIIT stands for high intensity interval training. I figure it's better if I just show you what I do, then you'll be able to get it.

elliptical-

and so on and so forth. on a treadmill, it would be sprinting or a FAST jog for three minutes and then a mild walk for 1 minute.
    of course this can be adjusted, but it's called HIGH intensity interval training for a reason. treadmills can be much more difficult though, so try building your way up first. maybe jogging for three minutes and a slow walk for one. this is just regular interval training. some people suggest doing 60 seconds full effort 15 seconds minimal. but it's all up to you! I find three minutes and one minute to be highly effective.

Whoa! You've got your workout a little backwards!

HIIT would be 3-5 minutes of jogging/walking - 1 minutes of sprinting / repeat
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Besides speed intervals, you can also incorporate intervals of varying inclines for maximum HR elevation. That's the premise behind HIIT routines. To jack up your HR to roughly 85% of your max for a short period of time, followed by a recovery period at a moderate-low speed and incline, just long enough for you to catch your breath, and repeat the process again. It's such an effective process that it doesn't need to be done any longer than roughly 30 minutes.

Any longer at an elevated HR may have the counterproductive action of breaking down more muscle than you'd like. It's all subjective to be tailored to your personal benefit, but HIIT routines are never actually able to become "routine" to where you can become used to it, since you can always go faster at a higher incline, or elongate the intensity burst periods. Play around with your comfort zone, then go a step above it. Over time, you can adjust that burst of intensity as you adapt.
  • jasthespazz
    Options
    what? ahhhhhhh! no! oh well... this is how much personal trainer taught me how to do it. maybe the methods vary? thank you SO much though. id hate giving her what she didn't want. :D

i still like my workout though...

thank you!