Healthy Habits you've always had?

Options
2»

Replies

• lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised people still think fat is bad for you. Your body needs fat for vital functions, especially your brain. Eating animal fat (and vegetable fat) is genetically optimal. We were designed to thrive on fats... from a long long time ago. The fat free hysteria started back in the 80's or whatever still misinforms young people today...

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/fats.html

Healthy habits: I floss my teeth regularly.

I agree that omega 3/6 is important to brain function, and cardioprotective, etc. It would be misleading, though, to imply that there is very much of it in, say, beef. Grass fed may have more than its grain fed cousin, but it is still only around 5% of that present in fish. I don't really consider that enough to offset the other problems with the fat in red meat, and would agree with keeping it as trim as possible. However, I will confess that it is very difficult to find a contemporary study that shows a correlation with red meat and heart disease (though processed meats do not fair as well).
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised people still think fat is bad for you. Your body needs fat for vital functions, especially your brain. Eating animal fat (and vegetable fat) is genetically optimal. We were designed to thrive on fats... from a long long time ago. The fat free hysteria started back in the 80's or whatever still misinforms young people today...

I agree that omega 3/6 is important to brain function, and cardioprotective, etc. It would be misleading, though, to imply that there is very much of it in, say, beef. Grass fed may have more than its grain fed cousin, but it is still only around 5% of that present in fish. I don't really consider that enough to offset the other problems with the fat in red meat, and would agree with keeping it as trim as possible. However, I will confess that it is very difficult to find a contemporary study that shows a correlation with red meat and heart disease (though processed meats do not fair as well).

From what I understand, saturated fat combined with carb related over-production of insulin (and leading to insulin resistance) combined is what leads to heart disease... and red meat should be eaten in moderation, as all things, of course.
  • lovejoydavid
    lovejoydavid Posts: 395 Member
    Options

From what I understand, saturated fat combined with carb related over-production of insulin (and leading to insulin resistance) combined is what leads to heart disease... and red meat should be eaten in moderation, as all things, of course.

Metabolic syndrome is such a murky depth. I carry a specialty cert in cardiac medicine over and above my critical care cert, and can honestly plead ignorance to much of the causation of my patient's problems. What I do know is that the DASH diet is effective in reversing much of it, and makes for great primary prevention. Insulin resistance, as near as I can tell, seems to be connected to adiposity, whether that is due to TNF-α and IL-6 expression (or other such evils) is a great question of the time. Hyperglycemia, though, undoubtedly causes some heart disease (kills of endothelium), but then, inflammation and high triglycerides can do that by themselves. Avoiding simple sugars, sodium, processed foods, keeping weight down, being active and eating a complex, rich diet seems to solve 99% of all problems, and the rest is near to hair splitting.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Avoiding simple sugars, sodium, processed foods, keeping weight down, being active and eating a complex, rich diet seems to solve 99% of all problems, and the rest is near to hair splitting.

...we can definitely agree on that!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've always had breakfast
    I've always preferred water over any other drink