OT-- Ideas for a Christmas Wedding

Options
Good Afternoon Everyone,

December is right around the corner and I feel like I have so much left to plan and do!

I am at a loss for a few things so I figured I would tap into the creative minds of all my pals here.

1. Decorations - I am getting married on December 27th, which is right around christmas. I would like to take advantage of the season, but I don't want it to be too corny. I have to worry about the church and the reception hall.

2. Music - Mainly for the ceremony. What did all you folks have for music at your ceremony? Also, a first dance song. Future Hubby and I really don't have a song that is uniquely special to us. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic first dance songs?

I feel so overwhelmed and I am sure I am not doing something right. We are both in college (hence the December wedding) so our budget is really tight and I am making a lot of things by hand.

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts about any subject.

Thanks Pals! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

December is right around the corner and I feel like I have so much left to plan and do!

I am at a loss for a few things so I figured I would tap into the creative minds of all my pals here.

1. Decorations - I am getting married on December 27th, which is right around christmas. I would like to take advantage of the season, but I don't want it to be too corny. I have to worry about the church and the reception hall.

2. Music - Mainly for the ceremony. What did all you folks have for music at your ceremony? Also, a first dance song. Future Hubby and I really don't have a song that is uniquely special to us. Does anyone have any suggestions for classic first dance songs?

I feel so overwhelmed and I am sure I am not doing something right. We are both in college (hence the December wedding) so our budget is really tight and I am making a lot of things by hand.

• Jules4506
    Options
    I got married at Christmas time and the wondeful thing about that is all the holiday decorations in the church....mainly in the form of beautiful red and white poinsettias!!! Take advantage of that and incorporate those colors into your ceremony!
  • Jules4506
    Options
    As for music - we didn't not get to dance at our wedding because the reception hall we choose was carpeted and they wouldn't let anyone dance! My brother and his wife choose Willie Nelson's "Georgia" (she is a big Willie nut).
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'm getting married, not at xmas time though, but i have been scanning a LOT of wedding magazines and one had all these fab ideas for an entirely white wedding. With the snow and all that prettiness I think it would work well. I don't think using christmasy decor will be corny, just don't turn it into a christmas party. :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    As for music - we didn't not get to dance at our wedding because the reception hall we choose was carpeted and they wouldn't let anyone dance! My brother and his wife choose Willie Nelson's "Georgia" (she is a big Willie nut).

They wouldnt LET anyone dance?? Are you freakin kidding me. I'd kill someone.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Suggestion for first dance-- "Could I have this dance for the rest of my life," sung by Anne Murray.
    Vishenka_04.gif
    "Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?
    Would you be my partner every night?
    When we're together it feels so right.
    Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?"

Beautiful harmony-- love the words-- I wish I'd known of it when I got married. We had "Endless Love' which was pretty and all-- but I LOVE the other one.
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    Decorations--Try choosing your color scheme first, red and white is beautiful, my daughter-in-law had that color scheme and it was July, but anyway, once you choose your colors, it should be easier to find the other things.

Will you be using a florist?

Silk flowers are really beautiful, but they are also expensive.

Music--my favorite love song would have to be , i'm not sure of the correct title, but you'll know--"The Wind Beneath My Wings"?

I'm not sure, but the for ideas it might help to check out the bookstores and craft shops for books on wedding planners and craft magazines on wedding themes.

Congratulations and Best Wishes:flowerforyou:

I am a hopeless romantic
    greenie
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    First - Congratulations!

Now for my ideas:

1. For decorations - for a church might include candles on each pew (the church might also still be beautifully decorated for the holiday so you won't have to add much to it) or a large bow (maybe red velvet or silver or gold). For a place other than a church - hard to say for sure not knowing but I'd say maybe poinsettas, topiaries, and/or holly berries would look awesome. Maybe for centerpieces something rustic like a candle surrounded by fir and some pine cones or a frosted hurricane lamp with a candle surrounded by a holly wreath.

2. We got married in a church and the Choir director played both the organ and piano, and we had a soloist who did two songs that we requested (Ava Maria and the Irish Blessing). As for our first dance it was to our "special" song "I Do (Cherish You)" as performed by Mark Wills. If you're having a DJ (or a band) I'm sure he or she would have some other ideas for you.

What are some of the ideas you're thinking of now?
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I would love to be a wedding planner...

Okay, for Decor, I would avoid the typical red wedding entirely. I've always dreamed of a winter wedding with just plain pine trees with white lights in them. A very natural, earthy look. For bridesmaid dresses I would have like a muted champagne, gold color. And I would make that play of the pine branches and gold/white by color theme.

As for music... here was what we did:

Ceremony
    Bridal Party Entrance - Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring
    Bride's Entrance - Ave Maria
    Exit song - Ode to Joy

Reception
    Bridal Party Entrance/Introductions - Crazy Train (Ozzy Osborne)
    Cake Cutting - Love me tender (Elvis)
    Background dinner music - Rat pack music
    First Dance - This Kind of Love (Sister Hazel)
    Mother/Son Dance - What a Wonderful World
    Father/Daughter Dance - I loved her first
    Bridal Party Dance - Friends in Low Places
    Garter Toss - Another One Bites the Dust
    Bouquet Toss - These Boots are Made for Walking
    Last Dance - Goodnight Sweetheart
  • His_Kelly
    His_Kelly Posts: 248
    Options

What are some of the ideas you're thinking of now?

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas thus far!

Well, for decorations, I bought a bunch of swags from Michaels last year on their after christmas sale. I decorated them with red berries and pine cones. For candle holders, my idea is to cut some birch logs in half, drill holes for candles, and decorate somehow.

I have seen people do some wonderful things with Tulle and white lights, but darned if I know how they did it! Future hubby was thinking of adding a few small xmas trees with lights on them at the reception, but I have to wonder if that wouldn't be to christmassy.

I was thinking of buying some bulk jingle bells and personalizing them with a sharpie to say our name and date for favors. That way, people would have something to ring to get us to kiss and something to take home. I was also looking into scattering some Andes mints on the tables for a little treat.

For songs, We were thinking of Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse, but are not sure if it is the 'right' one yet.

I bought silk flowers from a craft store that was going out of business (red day lillies and cala lillies) I am going to have to make my own arrangements, bouquets, pins, etc. Ahh!! It could get ugly :noway:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Christmas weddings are wonderful to work with.

I read about a couple who decided to buy up all the trees in the tree lots for next to nothing, same with the white lights, and they covered the trees with a million lights, and lined the walkway into the church, into the foyer, with white-lit christmas trees, and played classical music. Guests proclaimed it 'magical'.

Good luck, and congratulations.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Suggestion for first dance.... She's the Boss by J Giles Band :wink:
  • ladybug3
    Options
    :love: A beautiful song for your first dance would be "I Will Be Here" By Steven Curtis Chapman. Here are the words:

Tomorrow morning if you wake up and the sun does not appear. I will be here.
    If in the dark we lose sight of love, Hold my hand and have no fear, Cause I will be here.

Chorus
    I will be here when you feel like being quiet;
    When you need to speak your mind. I will listen.
    And I will be here when the laughter turns to crying;
    Through the winning, losing, and trying, we'll be together,
    Cause I will be here.

Tomorrow morning if you wake up And the future is unclear, I will be here.
    As sure as seasons are made for change, Out lifetimes are made for years, So I will be here.

Chorus
    I will be here, and you can cry on my shoulder;
    When the mirror tells us we're older, I will hold you.
    And I will be here to watch you grow in beauty,
    And tell you all the things you are to me;
    I will be here.

I will be true to the promise I have made.
    To you and the One who gave you to me.

Also, I don't think that white lights would be too christmasy. Just my two cents! :flowerforyou:
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options

For songs, We were thinking of Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse, but are not sure if it is the 'right' one yet.

You'll know when it's the right one.

Also, congratulations! Weddings are so much fun, and a Christmas wedding sounds like a really great idea!

If it was me, I would make it really kitschy and make Christmas tree ornaments for favors that have the wedding date and a simple Thank You for Sharing Our Day! and a picture of the two of you on them. I would serve hot chocolate with marshmallows with the cake too. Or just have milk and cookies in lieu of cake. Cost effective, really memorable, and CUTE.

But not everyone has my taste. Just make sure you put pictures up after the wedding!
  • greenbaum9
    Options
    your silk flowers sound beautiful; now, about making the arrangements, this may sound dumb to you but MICHAELS craft stores carry Martha Stewart line of supplies,and how-to ideas for weddings.

:smile:
    greenie
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    First of all, may your marriage be blessed through the years of your lives!

Now, here's where I twist the situation just a bit...I had a beautiful wedding, small but with lots of candles, expensive flowers, a catered meal, DJ, the songs were precisely picked, the whole nine yards. Five years later our marriage was over. I completely understand wanting that "dream" wedding...every girl does. Please just don't get soo wrapped up and concered about everything being "just right" that you lose sight of why the two of you are becoming husband and wife. The adoring smile on his face when he first sees you come down the aisle and the evident love between the two of you during the ceremony will fill the church with the decorations of love. And even if you don't feel like you've selected just that perfect song for your dance, once you have danced it together at your wedding, it will always be special and when it is heard later you will be reminded of your special day.

Relax, breathe, and just remember that it is love which makes a marriage, not all the other stuff. And 50 years from now when the two of you are still walking along hand in hand that will show your true hearts of the important things in life.

Many blessings to you and your future husband! :heart:
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    First of all, may your marriage be blessed through the years of your lives!

Now, here's where I twist the situation just a bit...I had a beautiful wedding, small but with lots of candles, expensive flowers, a catered meal, DJ, the songs were precisely picked, the whole nine yards. Five years later our marriage was over. I completely understand wanting that "dream" wedding...every girl does. Please just don't get soo wrapped up and concered about everything being "just right" that you lose sight of why the two of you are becoming husband and wife. The adoring smile on his face when he first sees you come down the aisle and the evident love between the two of you during the ceremony will fill the church with the decorations of love. And even if you don't feel like you've selected just that perfect song for your dance, once you have danced it together at your wedding, it will always be special and when it is heard later you will be reminded of your special day.

Relax, breathe, and just remember that it is love which makes a marriage, not all the other stuff. And 50 years from now when the two of you are still walking along hand in hand that will show your true hearts of the important things in life.

Many blessings to you and your future husband! :heart:

I totally agree. Not that I have much to compare... I've only been married a year. I stayed pretty calm through the whole planning process and remembered that it was more important to focus on the marriage and not the wedding. Hopefully that works out well for us in the long run. :heart:

I did everything myself for the pew decorations and the table centerpieces and only spent $250. I had bought everything the day after Thanksgiving at like 5:00 am with the door buster sales at all the craft stores. Everything turned out beautiful.

I have to say, though, that the most magical part of the day was walking down the aisle. I promised myself that I was going to only look at my husband as I walked down the aisle. I'm not sure how I didn't burst into tears while doing it, but just watching his face and seeing all of his emotions was a once in a lifetime experience. So that's my biggest piece of advice! Don't be the bride lookng at all of her guests while she walks down the aisle. Lock eyes with the man you're about to marry. I promise it will be amazing. :flowerforyou: