Hidden Calories

Options
LoriIAM
LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
Watch out for Chipotle's Viniagrette! 260 calories! Kraft Classic Italian Viniagrette only has 60. That's what I was expecting. I should have looked before I ordered, took home, and ate. Next time I'll use my own dressing.

Has anyone else been surprised like this?

L

Replies

• kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I don't struggle so much with hidden calories as I do with hidden sodium. I have high-ish blood pressure, so I try very hard to stay within my range. It's almost impossible to eat in a restaurant, or even at someone else's house, without going over. So frustrating.
  • JessicaJune
    JessicaJune Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Panera's balsamic vinegarette. I ordered a cafe salad the other day and when I asked the employee if they had a low-fat dressing, she said it was the balsamic. I got it on the side thankfully and when I looked up the calories at my office before eating it, come to find out the serving they gave me was 26g OF FAT!!! Needless to say, I threw away their dressing and zipped over to WaWa really quick for some fat free italian. Insane.
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been to restaurants and thought I made a good choice only to get home and learn differently!! I think they should post a nutritional chart either on the menu or in the restaurant.... It makes me so angry to know that they have all these hidden calories! I have learned that before I go I plan what I am going to order just so I don't get the wrong thing! Glad I am not the only one who has struggled with this at restaurants! Good luck and vest wishes :)
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been to restaurants and thought I made a good choice only to get home and learn differently!! I think they should post a nutritional chart either on the menu or in the restaurant.... It makes me so angry to know that they have all these hidden calories! I have learned that before I go I plan what I am going to order just so I don't get the wrong thing! Glad I am not the only one who has struggled with this at restaurants! Good luck and vest wishes :)
  • LoriIAM
    LoriIAM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Chipotle does post the calories. I just didn't read the viniagrette, assuming ... erroneously.:cry:
  • Adrianamdelacruz
    Options
    Panera's balsamic vinegarette. I ordered a cafe salad the other day and when I asked the employee if they had a low-fat dressing, she said it was the balsamic. I got it on the side thankfully and when I looked up the calories at my office before eating it, come to find out the serving they gave me was 26g OF FAT!!! Needless to say, I threw away their dressing and zipped over to WaWa really quick for some fat free italian. Insane.

Holy crap!! Good to know!
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Vinaigrette is basically oil with a few drops of vinegar! Best bet is to either make the dressing yourself or keep some in the office fridge that you know won't be very calorie heavy.
    My FAVORITE trick for salad dressing out and about is to order it on the side then dip my fork into it so it's coating the tines and then take up bites of the salad. It gets just the right amount of flavor from the dressing and really spares calories. Plus, I use so little of the dressing I don't even worry what dressing I order (since it's so little of it).
    I hope that helps someone :)