Quitting Smoking

Options
Has anyone quit smoking while using this site and watching calorie intake? If so, by what method? Cold turkey or did you use some kind of patch/gum/etc? I want to quit so I can get in better physical shape and work out harder and longer without getting so winded. I'm nervous about gaining weight though. Is it too hard to try to stick to a certain calorie level while quitting? Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Replies

• AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I honestly think its mind over matter when it comes to eating when you quit. I quit cold turkey for a year and didnt gain weight.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I quit while on mfp. I just tapered off and after really exercising regularly I noticed it made me not want to smoke also. Don't worry about gaining weight at first you might not lose as fast but you will still lose and your body will readjust and pick back up again, best time to do it is now!
  • mrsmichellewilson
    mrsmichellewilson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in Sept. I went cold turkey. Sorry to say but it was one of the hardest things I have ever done but also one of the most rewarding! I did gain weight even though I tried not too but I was not using MFP.....I think that if I would've had more success if I would've been tracking my calories and having all the MFP support. Good Luck to you ....I know you can do it. Remember....One day at a time :-)
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I quit while on mfp. I just tapered off and after really exercising regularly I noticed it made me not want to smoke also. Don't worry about gaining weight at first you might not lose as fast but you will still lose and your body will readjust and pick back up again, best time to do it is now!

And I am so ready after almost 8 years of a pack a day.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost two years ago. I wasn't using this site, but I was using WeightWatchers.com at that time. I used the nicorette gum for about a week, then cold turkey after that. I didn't gain weight because I was focused on losing weight. It did take me a while to get to the point where I was successfully losing a pound a week (the rate that I like to lose at), but losing slowly at first was definately worth it.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

One piece of advice that has worked for me: MONEY. Figure out how much you are spending each month on cigarettes, open a savings account, and have that amount transferred to your new savings account every month. Watch the money grow, and feel proud of all you've done. Know that if you pick up a cigarette again, the savings will stop.

Money was very motivating for me, anyway! Plus, think of exercising with healthy lungs!

Replace the cigarette "high" with an exercise "high". Exercise will help with stress, too.

Hmmmm, I'm trying to think of what else worked for me... Try to stay away from places that allow smoking, and if you smoked in your car, either start chewing a BIG WAD of gum while you drive or eat raw broccoli when you drive (I know that you are not supposed to replace cigs with food, but broccoli when driving worked for me!).

Good luck, and great job making this decision!
  • daisymae9801
    Options
    I quit smoking almost two years ago. I wasn't using this site, but I was using WeightWatchers.com at that time. I used the nicorette gum for about a week, then cold turkey after that. I didn't gain weight because I was focused on losing weight. It did take me a while to get to the point where I was successfully losing a pound a week (the rate that I like to lose at), but losing slowly at first was definately worth it.

YOU CAN DO THIS.

One piece of advice that has worked for me: MONEY. Figure out how much you are spending each month on cigarettes, open a savings account, and have that amount transferred to your new savings account every month. Watch the money grow, and feel proud of all you've done. Know that if you pick up a cigarette again, the savings will stop.

Money was very motivating for me, anyway! Plus, think of exercising with healthy lungs!

Replace the cigarette "high" with an exercise "high". Exercise will help with stress, too.

Hmmmm, I'm trying to think of what else worked for me... Try to stay away from places that allow smoking, and if you smoked in your car, either start chewing a BIG WAD of gum while you drive or eat raw broccoli when you drive (I know that you are not supposed to replace cigs with food, but broccoli when driving worked for me!).

Good luck, and great job making this decision!

Those are great suggestions -- thanks!!
  • daisymae9801
    Options
    Another question...anyone try to quit when their significant other smokes? My boyfriend currently smokes and is not at the point where he's ready to quit yet. How can I quit when he smokes? We spend a lot of time at his house while we look for our own place and both he and his mom smoke inside the house.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 7 weeks ago - I was already at my current weight then (so pretty much at goal)

I used Allen Carr's "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" and I have to say I have found it pretty easy? no cravings, no urge to overeat.

I smoked 10 per day for 16 years up until 7 weeks ago !!!

I am finding myself a little more hungry than before and I haven't been as strict with myself in recent weeks [I was never overly strict, but I have given myself a it of a break because I don't want the fact I have stopped smoking and am calorie counting to become too overwhelming!]

I haven't had a loss in 6 weeks but I put that down to being so close to goal weight anyway!

I'd happily put back on a few lbs and be a non smoker but I am pretty sure it wont come to that!
    Taking into consideration I have had a week off work, a Birthday (so a fair amount of wine and a few nice meals out, plus little exercise) I am very pleased with my current situation!

My tip with smoking is not to look at it as giving up - look at at 'stopping' - there is nothing to give up and everything to gain!

The book doesn't work for everyone and I had it for 18 months before the timing was right for me to read it... It has been a revelation though and being a non smoker is liberating!
  • mpchaplin
    mpchaplin Posts: 19
    Options
    I just wanted to say that the nicotine replacement products (gum, patches, etc.) are safe and there to help you. Don't feel like going cold turkey is the "better" way. Whatever gets you to stop smoking is the best way. Also, people who quit gain about 10 lbs on average. But that 10 lbs is still healthier than smoking. If you are tracking your calories with mfp or ww then I know people can both quit and keep the weight gain down, or avoid it completely.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Another question...anyone try to quit when their significant other smokes? My boyfriend currently smokes and is not at the point where he's ready to quit yet. How can I quit when he smokes? We spend a lot of time at his house while we look for our own place and both he and his mom smoke inside the house.

My OH still smokes and we live together !!!

I don't make him smoke outside - it seems mean as it is half his home - we only smoke in one room anyway (well ventilated - windows always open, plus we both work full time)

Him smoking around me doesn't bother me at all, I guess it's a bit like losing weight in that respect - you have to make the decision and do it for yourself... You cannot let anyone else (no matter how much you love them) effect your choice to become a non smoker.

Of course your BF should be considerate to the fact you want to stop and make life as easy for you as possible.

My OH would smoke outside if I asked him, I just haven't yet.

We are working toward being a totally non smoking household in the not too distant future but until he is ready to stop I am not going to force the issue.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    my fiance is still in the process of quitting, you really have to put your foot down for yourself. We don't smoke in the house so it helps when he has to go outside to do it. If he smokes in the house maybe you could ask him to only smoke outside or stick to a room you don't go into. Is he trying to quit as well, if so you quitting will really help him as well. Be strong and just say no, if you are ready then thats half the battle
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I used Allen Carr's "The Easy Way To Stop Smoking" and I have to say I have found it pretty easy? no cravings, no urge to overeat.

That's what did it for me too. And I had THREE other smokers in the house. I liked it so much I bought his diet book. THAT was crap.
  • Doubleube68
    Options
    I also read Alan Carr's book to quit smoking! Wednesday will be 6 months. I was already overweight at the time and ended up gaining another 8 pounds or so...GLADLY!! I have tried almost every way to quit out there and always said, it is not the physical withdrawal, but the mental withdrawal that keeps me smoking. Every time I would be MISERABLE when I tried to quit. Because you smoke while reading the book, your mind is preparing to quit while you are still smoking. By the time you finish reading the book you are mentally ready (at least, I was!)

I only have smokers around me (but no one smokes in the house)...2 of my co-workers smoke, my boyfriend, bestfriend and my sister all smoke and those are the people I am around the most. I guess I just made up my mind I was going to quit and didn't care if they smoked or not....it wasn't about them, it was about me. The hardest thing...going to Las Vegas, where you can smoke everywhere, and not smoking, TWICE! :)

My suggestion, don't worry about a few extra pounds for now (of course, don't go overboard with food.) Focus on quitting and once you feel good about that, then you can focus on your weight loss.

Good luck!! It is worth it to be free!!!
  • Doubleube68
    Options
    I heard his weight loss book was bad...I never bought it. But, his smoking book is AMAZING!! :)
  • vlc1979
    vlc1979 Posts: 227
    Options
    I used Chantix last year, been smoke free for 13 months now.

I wasn't trying to loose weight and gained b/c i was LAZY about it and figured I would just deal w/ the weight later

Smoking burns around 200 calories a day

My advice, eat eat eat, if it helps!! Make it vegies and sugar free candies and gums or other low cal options. I say, once you get the habbit kicked, then the weight will be easier to deal w/!

Best decision of my life!!!
  • daisymae9801
    Options
    I appreciate all the tips and encouragement guys! :) I'm a little nervous about gaining. I will ahve to pick up that book you guys mentioned. Also, I was leaning towards the patch. Has anyone had success with this?
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in March using Champix. It was amazing easy. Champix helps to deal with the cravings in the beginning. I only used it for about 8 weeks and then weaned myself off. I also use a quit smoking forum which I have found to be so helpful. If anyone is interested at checking it out, it is at http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?folderId=4&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=ab-quitsmoking.

I have learned so much about this dirty addiction that there is no way that I will ever start again. This time is right and in so doing, I am also ready to face the challenge of more exercise and losing weight. Great sight here and absolutely love the phone app with the barcode scanner. A real beaut.