gained two pounds :(

Options
I'm so frustrated! I haven't weighed myself for about two weeks because the scale makes me really uneasy. but, I worked out about five times a week, including going on long runs and other cardio machines at the gym, like the elliptical, for two weeks since I've last weighed myself. every time I worked out I burned between 300 to 500 calories, according to the heart rate monitor I bought. my eating habits were good and I stayed under or just hit my calorie limit every day. so, how did I gain two pounds?!! I'm so disappointed. I went from 134 to 136 in two weeks. I was hoping the number would be 133 or 132. anyone know anything that would cause this? I am so stressed about it

Replies

• spinurbuttoff
    Options
    Stress can cause it, but also muscle gain.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - Did you measure yourself? There could be a list of reasons why you gained 2lbs. It could be muscle, It could be water weight, it could be heavier food on the stomach, It could be this, It could be that. Measure yourself and see what that says before you get too much more disappointed.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It could be water weight. Any reason you're in the TOM where water could be retaining? Eating anything with high sodium? Keep at it. It WILL happen! :-)
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree, it was probably muscle gain. Focus on the measurements instead of the scale. Your workout dedication is amazing!
    Don't lose heart!
    R :)
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm so frustrated! I haven't weighed myself for about two weeks because the scale makes me really uneasy. but, I worked out about five times a week, including going on long runs and other cardio machines at the gym, like the elliptical, for two weeks since I've last weighed myself. every time I worked out I burned between 300 to 500 calories, according to the heart rate monitor I bought. my eating habits were good and I stayed under or just hit my calorie limit every day. so, how did I gain two pounds?!! I'm so disappointed. I went from 134 to 136 in two weeks. I was hoping the number would be 133 or 132. anyone know anything that would cause this? I am so stressed about it

It's only two pounds. It's probably water weight.
  • denverdeb1
    denverdeb1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When you first work out, you gained weight. Just hang in there, it will drop. Your body may be holding on to fluids from the working out. Just ignore the dang scale it is evilllll. How are your clothes fitting, did you measure yourself? Look at those clues to see if you are gaining muscle, muscle weighs more than fat!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? Are you eating too much sugar or sodium? My weight fluctuates depending on these factors.

Our weight naturally shifts up and down of the course of a week or so, anywhere from 1-5 pounds. I wouldn't stress :)

Also, if you're anywhere near that time of the month it could account for some water retention (which could definitely equal 2 pounds). Don't fret, if you're doing all you can do, you'll see results. Patience, friend!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Could i t be because you area or about to be on your TOM?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    The scale shouldn't be your only measure of success. Measure yourself. Muscle doesn't make you heavier. One pound of fat wieghs the same as one pound of muscle. It just takes up waaaay less space.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes feel?
    I know you don't wanna hear this, but it could be muscle gain? (remember muscle is heavier than fat!)
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 3500 calories over your reccomended intake for two weeks in a row, you didn't gain two pounds of fat. Perhaps its water retention from exercising in your muscles.. It could also be that you need to watch your sodium intake or possibly if its your TOM that affects your weight too. Hang in there, the numbers will start going down soon!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    it could be water retention... at least from my experience that's always what it is and it makes me go crazy. how much sodium did you eat the day before you weighed yourself? i have found this has a lot to do with it as well. because i eat a decent amount of sodium, i try to drink A LOT of water a day or two before i'm going to weigh in. also, pickles have made me gain 10lbs over night before (granted I ate 15 of them lol).

so yeah, i have to go on a "mini diet" two days before i want to know my weight so i KNOW i won't have water retention. For example, I was drinking A LOT of (like seven) diet pops every day, weighed myself (after two weeks) and had gained 5 pounds. I kind of flipped out so I decided NO POP for a while and within 12-24 hours I had lost all 5 of those pounds.

i know people say "muscle weighs more than fat" (which is true) but i read on the bodybuilding.com forum that you can only gain about 2-3lbs of muscle per month, and unless you were eating 3500 calories over your deficit every day, it's unlikely that you gained any fat.

hope that helps!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Don't stress it's only 2lbs.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 3500 calories over your reccomended intake for two weeks in a row, you didn't gain two pounds of fat. Perhaps its water retention from exercising in your muscles.. It could also be that you need to watch your sodium intake or possibly if its your TOM that affects your weight too. Hang in there, the numbers will start going down soon!

this
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I can gain 2 pounds in one day. It can be a lot of things. Just stick with it and it'll come.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    If that picture is you, now, I would say not to worry about weight gain. You may be at your maintenance weight.
  • gabbylisa17
    Options
    Could be gain from food not digested yet. Things like pasta can take 2 days to digest and cause 2-3 lbs extra weight. Weight yourself tomorrow and see what it says. Keep up the good work!
  • cdalt24
    cdalt24 Posts: 55
    Options
    ahhh thank you so much everyone. I never thought I'd get this many replies, you guys are the best! thank you so much for all the support and encouraging words, when I talk to my non-MFP friends none of them really get it, so thank you.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It could be you're not eating enough....

Arre your goals set correctly? Read the MFP basics link in my signature....
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    Looks like you have plenty of responses so i will be brief. I used to do a lot of what you are doing in the gym from last Sept 2010 till Feb 2011 & wasnt seeing much results. Cardio doesnt really continue to burn calories, you are only burning while you are doing the exercise. I would recommend weight training. I do ChaLean Extreme but there are plenty of things out there. I am into building lean muscle, not bulking up, and that muscle will burn my fat. Of course we want to burn fat so that's the most EFFECTIVE way of doing it. I am always about more bang for my buck. (or time in this case) It could be water weight like some have said you will fluctuate a little bit so don't fret but if you want real results do weight training. Heavier the better. Any more questions or help, friend me & we can talk.