How to find a good sports bra...

Options
2»

Replies

• georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm (only) a 34C, so I don't have the issues some of you ladies do but finding something that doesn't make me look totally flat-chested while still providing some support is important to me. I bought some at Old Navy this weekend that I actually really like because they fit well and have some padding. I ran in one this morning and I'm sold. They were $20 for two ($14-16 for one), so a pretty good deal, and the matching shorts made of a very nice wicking material were also $10 each.

My sister swears by the Champion sports bras sold at Target. She's about the same size as I am but she apparently has issues with most sports bras causing chafing under her arms when she runs marathons and other long distance events. She says that the Champions are the only ones she's found that don't cause that problem for her.
    Interestingly enough, I found a Danskin sports bra at Walmart for about $11-$12, with snazzy styling and foam cups, which actually is acceptable for a medium size (D-cup) with light running. I haven't had much luck with underwires; they always hurt in action. Moving Comfort and, I think, CRX?, are good choices. Some people double up the bras.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Endure by under armor. It's a front zip racer back style. I am a 32f/g an got the D one (which is a L)...they may have XL if you're a bigger cup but it holds my girls down! About 50 bucks at sports chalet. With a good bra you'll pay but it's worth it!!!!

Been SEARCHING for an Endure UA bra for weeks now... I tried on the one with the zip front and the one without, much prefer the one without, but I don't think they make it in my size!! I think they only make D cups with the zip front, which is such hard work to zip, i'm afraid to wreck the zipper! haha

Anyone tried the Lulu brand bras?? The Ta-ta tamer or the new one (forgot what it is called but looks like the ta ta tamer anyway) - i was looking at on the weekend, but i was too lazy to try on. i generally try to stay away from sports bras with clasp backs, but it may be time to try them out.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    depends where you are. if youre in the UK, i really rate the debenhams own brand ones. Zero bounce.

I also have a freya underwired one which i LOVE
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I also am very large chested and the only thing that I have found that works for me is by Under Armour. It is also 'binding' but it's kind of necessary when it comes to all that bouncing!

edit: I just read the post before mine which is talking about the same bra! I will say that I have the zip front one which I like, but I am so squeezed into the bra that it threatens to unzip, so I use a safety pin to keep it up.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am a 34G, and I have tried every bra under the sun it seems like. For me, enell is the only way to go. But I would not suggest getting enell unless you are a D+.
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    Lol. I thought I had a big chest until I saw some of these postings.

I have a stretchy razor back one that I really like. It's actually a size too small, but as others suggested, that helps keep everything in place. It's not cotton, so it doesn't soak up all that sweat like my others. It also passes the bounce test.

I saw those at Old Navy that someone mentioned. They were a lot like the one I have. The sign on the rack said that would prevent chaffing. However, it didn't make sense to me. It seems like it could rub over time. I know there are a lot of sports bras out there that are specifically for running, but I'm not going to spend $50 on something like that right now. It sounds like the one I have will probably be fine.

Thanks everyone for your input!
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    A good sports bra is going to be one that feels good when you run, one that holds the girls so you don't even have to think about them while you run :). Every woman is different, but personally, the Nike pro bras work best for me.
    Here's a link:
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?sitesrc=uslp=#l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-380936/pgid-282969

I just looked yours up. $28.00 is not a bad price. However, the one I have looks a lot like this one, just from Walmart instead.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    . . . You absolutely want that band snug up against your rib cage. . . .
    Avoid bras that hook in the front or --God forbid--zip in the front

YES to snug bands! I hate mine ride up to my shoulder blades (I will never go back to VS, they don't know how to handle above-average busted women and don't carry small band (<34")-large cup(DD+) sizes anyways.

And YES to back closures, for me, because I've never had good support w/front closure (those always seemed to push the ladies together & cause a huge uni-boob NOT attractive or comfortable! (like this .. ΘD-< .. instead of .. ΘB-< .. ) (look at it sideways) =P

:laugh: I just checked my tag of my regular bra- the one I am wearing today is a 42 J- I also have bras that are 42i; 42k and 42l- even when I was a 34 rib cage size (years and years ago) I wore a G or H- and while I really miss my old underwire, back hook, non-unaboob bra- this enell (which is non, wired, front hook and total uniboob) works well - the girls only bounce when I attempt jumping jacks, very little movement with running

However, that being said , I think that it is really designed more for the D-DDD range because even though it holds me in place I still get eenie, meenie, minie and moe (ie the four boobed look as the girls overflow the top) I could go up a size but then it wouldn't be tight enough on the rib cage.

I finally decided that the most important qualities are bounce control and I can breathe- with this one I get those, I haven't found any other bra approaching my size that gives me that

so it all depends on what YOU need

a great online shop is
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/apparel/tops/bras/c0-c1-c2-c3.html (US based but will ship internationally)

for UK/EU based MFP'ers I find these two websites to be a great resource in sports bras

http://www.lessbounce.co.uk/

and

http://www.boobydoo.com/ and boobydoo.co.uk

they both ship internationally
  • eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bravissimo.com
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like the Moving Comfort Maia bra.

I second that. :smile:
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    . . . You absolutely want that band snug up against your rib cage. . . .
    Avoid bras that hook in the front or --God forbid--zip in the front
    YES to snug bands! I hate mine ride up to my shoulder blades (I will never go back to VS, they don't know how to handle above-average busted women and don't carry small band (<34")-large cup(DD+) sizes anyways.

And YES to back closures, for me, because I've never had good support w/front closure (those always seemed to push the ladies together & cause a huge uni-boob NOT attractive or comfortable! (like this .. ΘD-< .. instead of .. ΘB-< .. ) (look at it sideways) =P
    :laugh:
    .... even though it holds me in place I still get eenie, meenie, minie and moe (ie the four boobed look as the girls overflow the top) I could go up a size but then it wouldn't be tight enough on the rib cage. ...
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: OH YEAH I forgot about the 4-boob thing! I always have that problem w/bras that are supposed to "submerge" (okay exaggeration there :tongue: ) and support and I start spilling all over the place! ugh (yes I know due to wrong cup size/shape, but I usually try ON my cup size!!) :grumble:
    so it all depends on what YOU need
    yes, Yes, YES.
    The best we all can do is tell our personal experiences and then each person can see which seems to fit their situation closest and go from there :flowerforyou: