can i take a break on vacation?

Options
I'm going to an all inclusive resort tomorrow. I just can't decide if I should "live it up" for 4 days since I'm on vacation or "suck it up" and be really good. I paid for the free food and drinks so what should I do?? What are your thoughts? Can't decide....

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I say...don't go all out, but do enjoy yourself! Try to choose healthier options, but also enjoy some of the other food options too!
  • rere210606
    rere210606 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take the break just dont go too overboard. Enjoy your vacation especially since you payed for it!
  • danssmith
    danssmith Posts: 25
    Options
    I'd say live it up! But accept that it will undo some of your hard work. I lost 10lb before going all inclusive for 2 weeks. Put on 2 lb, would have been more but made sure I went for long walks on the beach and swam every day.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Live it up BUT know your limits and take advantage of their programs, dancing, yoga, bike, any excursions that you get you moving. Swim in the pool and get some exercise in. These things are fun and you are getting your monies worth at the same time. Also make decent food choices and dont eat until you are stuffed. Last time i went away i gained 13lbs in 7 days. lol this was before i was eating healthier. We sat at the bars, drank all day long, and waited to eat the entire time.
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i just came back from vacation, i ate alot more stuff then i intended. However we did spend 6 hours at a water park and we ended up working all those calories off. Granted i didnt loose weight while on vacation, but i didnt gain anything either. I also picked one meal each day to " break the rules" so to speak then i tried to be good the rest of the day, i also continued to log my calories and what exercise i got so i can see where i was.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    For 4 days, I wouldn't worry about taking a break.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to an all inclusive resort tomorrow. I just can't decide if I should "live it up" for 4 days since I'm on vacation or "suck it up" and be really good. I paid for the free food and drinks so what should I do?? What are your thoughts? Can't decide....

I always give myself a free pass on vacation. I personally would regret not trying all the yummy food. I went on a cruise two months ago and some of my best memories are the delicious food! I'm glad for trying everything I wanted even if I did gain some weight. Just get right back on plan when you're back and find some time to work out while you're there.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I agree enjoy yourself, just don't get to carried away!
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I think you should live it up. Chances are likely that you'll still make health(ier, at least) choices if you've been doing this for a while. I've noticed that even when I decide to splurge I still keep nutrition in mind. Have a blast!
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    You should prolly just go for it, I know I would BUT that depressing after holiday feeling is made that little more depressing when you step up on the scales! I usually know I can burn it back off in time though.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    :drinker: LIVE.IT. UP.!! It's vacation! Live life! Your hard work won't be undone just sidetracked. It's all relative, really. Enjoy your stay!
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    You can 'live it up' without going completely off the rails. :wink:

I say have a great time, relax. You know what to do, have a blast.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I would have fun, and do everything in moderation. Have a drink, but dont overdo it.

I am going to be doing the same thing this coming weekend. My husband and I are getting away Fri-Mon and going to the beach. I plan to watch what I eat, and try to get in some exercise at least once a day. Probably will be taking 30 Day Shred with me, going for a jog on the beach, and taking advantage of the little gym that my hotel offers.
  • tntrav44
    tntrav44 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an all-inclusive resort! Here's how I managed:

I tried a little bit of everything, I didn't take full portions.

I limited myself to 2 fun island drinks a day.

I made sure to do something active every day, whether it was a walk, dancing, water aerobics, or swimming. I came back from 2 weeks of vacation and I had actually lost a pound!
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    My personal theory is that if you consider this a diet and binge occasionally you continue the yo yo way of thinking. Do as you do today, as you will do when you get to goal. Live in the present not wait for tomorrow when I get/have/am...

I would enjoy food as you should be now, be conscious of portions and own your choices. If you go a little crazy, make better choices next meal. Continue.. rinse.. repeat...
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! You can pick it back up when you return.
  • luelue1971
    luelue1971 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I was on an amazing roll of eating great, working out and losing weight nicely. I went to Disneyworld and "enjoyed" the free dining plan. We walked constantly but I managed to gain 10 pounds. I thought when I got home that whatever damage I did would be undone when I jumped back on track. The problem was I didn't jump back on track. I ended up gaining 22 more pounds until a couple of weeks ago when I finally got my act together.

I guess it depends on you. But for me I would be especially careful with my choices and not go overboard just because I had paid for it. It's just not worth it to me.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over it. If you've established some new good habits, let the habit run, but enjoy yourself otherwise. If you stress over the daily food and log, you won't enjoy yourself as much, and in the end, you may resent the whole lifestyle change. Be smart, without worrying too much. Even if you gain a pound or two, the "recharge" will make it easy to get back in focus upon your return home.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have just come back from 5 days away, and was reasonably good (apart from the alcohol!), with one bad meal a day, like someone here suggested. I put on a pound, which i am not too fussed about as I know if i stick to my cals this week and work out as normal it will go again.

At the end of the day, its your holiday, so enjoy!!
  • luvmykid28
    luvmykid28 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trip and I continued to log in as much as I could. I ate what I wanted, but found that I was more aware of was I was eating and didn't eat as much. I also made healthier choices and used the stationary bike or swam for at least 20 minutes a day. You'll be fine, just enjoy yourself.