Steel Cut Oats question......

Options
I am going to try Steel cut oats (I hate the taste and texture of oatmeal).....so I wanted to ask if anyone knows the liquid to oat ratio for just one serving? I would probably make it on the stove top if that makes a difference. I am really trying to eat healthier :) it is just finding things that I can swallow :) lol........thanks in advance....

Replies

• greeneyes490
    greeneyes490 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am going to try Steel cut oats (I hate the taste and texture of oatmeal).....so I wanted to ask if anyone knows the liquid to oat ratio for just one serving? I would probably make it on the stove top if that makes a difference. I am really trying to eat healthier :) it is just finding things that I can swallow :) lol........thanks in advance....
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I make it in a rice cooker. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. 35 mins.
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats (aka—yummy oatmeal)

1 tbls butter
    2-½ cups hot water (but not boiling)
    pinch of Salt

Put pan on med-high to melt butter.

Add oats when butter is melted—stir to coat oats with butter. Toast the oats until it smells nutty (about 2-3 minutes) Stir to keep them from burning. When the oats are a golden color or there is a nice nutty aroma (it smells kind of like popcorn) add 2 ½ cups of hot water. Stir. Turn heat down to low (I put ours on about 3) Cover. Cook 20-25 minutes.

At the 20-25 mark add a pinch of salt, and stir a little (don’t over stir or it will get mushy?—that’s what I’m told) Wait until creaminess you prefer is achieved (I have yet to figure out what my husband eans by this, however; I normally just turn the heat off, leave the pan where it is and come back to the oatmeal when time allows—like after I’ve done ten other things and the oatmeal turns out perfect every time.)

Add anything you would like.

This makes a lot of oatmeal, but I just measure out the amount & reheat the next day (last me a few days or so)

I peronally like to eat mine with Aduki beans (or Great Northern Beans) 1/4 cup of almonds, cut up fruit & a little sweetner of my liking. Great for the heart!!!
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    it's suppose to be 3 cups water, 1 cup oats.
    But I do 2 cups water, 1 cup fat free mile, 1 cup oats and add some grounded flaxseed after it gets done cooking.
    I highly suggest you make it stove top, but if you use milk watch it carefully it will boiler over FAST!
    I LOVE MY STEEL CUT OATS :happy:
  • greeneyes490
    Options
    I make it in a rice cooker. 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. 35 mins.

does it matter the size of rice cooker? I think my in on the larger side
  • greeneyes490
    Options

1 tbls butter
    pinch of Salt

Add oats when butter is melted—stir to coat oats with butter. Toast the oats until it smells nutty (about 2-3 minutes) Stir to keep them from burning. When the oats are a golden color or there is a nice nutty aroma (it smells kind of like popcorn) add 2 ½ cups of hot water. Stir. Turn heat down to low (I put ours on about 3) Cover. Cook 20-25 minutes.

At the 20-25 mark add a pinch of salt, and stir a little (don’t over stir or it will get mushy?—that’s what I’m told) Wait until creaminess you prefer is achieved (I have yet to figure out what my husband eans by this, however; I normally just turn the heat off, leave the pan where it is and come back to the oatmeal when time allows—like after I’ve done ten other things and the oatmeal turns out perfect every time.)

This makes a lot of oatmeal, but I just measure out the amount & reheat the next day (last me a few days or so)

I peronally like to eat mine with Aduki beans (or Great Northern Beans) 1/4 cup of almonds, cut up fruit & a little sweetner of my liking. Great for the heart!!!

That sounds really good.....and I didn't realize that you could reheat for days after it is cooked (good to know :))......if i add a little less liquid would it come out not so mushy? or do i need to stick to the exact liquid measurement? I was thinking of adding ground flax seed and sugar free maple syrup....
  • greeneyes490
    Options
    But I do 2 cups water, 1 cup fat free mile, 1 cup oats and add some grounded flaxseed after it gets done cooking.
    I highly suggest you make it stove top, but if you use milk watch it carefully it will boiler over FAST!

Ya I have never been crazy about the texture of things cooked in the microwave so I prefer the stove top whenever possible.....and I love ground flax seed and it is a great way to sneak it in :).....thanks for all the info cyclingdiva72, stacystar, journeyfree.......I think I will try it this weekend......:)
  • stacystar
    Options

I forgot to put 1 cup of Steel Cut Oats (Silly Stacy) I corrected it now.

1 cup of Steel Cut Oats
    1 tbls butter
    pinch of Salt

• stacystar
    Options

1 tbls butter
    pinch of Salt

That sounds really good.....and I didn't realize that you could reheat for days after it is cooked (good to know :))......if i add a little less liquid would it come out not so mushy? or do i need to stick to the exact liquid measurement? I was thinking of adding ground flax seed and sugar free maple syrup....

Not sure about the less liquid. My hubs has worked with this and tried many different things--The texture is kind of nutty (if that is a texture) I have never found steel cut Oats to be mushy--it's just so yummy. Maybe decrease the cook time. This is a slight twist on Alton Browns Steel Cut Oats receipe.
  • BBCoachKel72
    BBCoachKel72 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Ya I have never been crazy about the texture of things cooked in the microwave so I prefer the stove top whenever possible.....and I love ground flax seed and it is a great way to sneak it in :).....thanks for all the info cyclingdiva72, stacystar, journeyfree.......I think I will try it this weekend......:)

I'm not sure if the steel cut oats will get soggy? I have never had that problem. The way I prepare my oats it usually makes enough for 4 days, as long as I put it in an air tight container.
    I do like the texture of the steel cut vs. regular oatmeal. Regular oatmeal can turn to paste if you cook them too long..YUCK! :ohwell:
    Some of my favorites variations are to add blueberries, strawberries or any berries (fresh or frozen), chopped walnuts or slivered almonds, fried egg whites and sometimes, but not often I will add some brown sugar.
    Have fun with the oats they are SO yummy and good for you! :happy:
    :heart: Kelly