Skewed perspective

Options
aflane
aflane Posts: 625 Member
I've been working on losing weight since January 4, and according the scale, I'm having quite a bit of success (95.5 lbs down so far). My clothing sizes have changed several times now, I'm stronger, and my endurance has improved greatly. But when I look in the mirror, I still see the same me from nearly 6 months ago. I think my mirror perspective is skewed. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm having the opposite problem. I have gone down in clothes size, feel better, move easier, don't have problems breathing, my back and hips don't hurt. I feel so thin and fit, I forget I am still obese. I get shocked when I see my self walking by a window and I am still really big. I feel so much better. I will continue to lose, I'm on a role. I am assuming our perspectives will change as time goes by.
  • BigClaire88
    Options
    Are you able to keep some before and after photos? Because the change in your body size and shape will take time, it might be hard to notice the difference when you look in the mirror because you don't see the day to day change, but if you can take a photo every so often I'm sure you'll see the difference :)
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Simple answer, yes. I've yo-yo'd all my life, and when I was skinny I felt fat and being fat I feel even fatter. Just think of all the little tiny girls out there who think they're fat. It's really hard to have a realistic perspective on yourself. Honestly, I don't know if there is a way to get over it, but I think the best thing to do is try not to obsess about it. When people say you look great, say "thank you" and just let it sink in, and listen to how your body feels now and how great it is to get into the clothes you are wearing. Hopefully, eventually your brain will catch up to your body. But in the meantime. CONGRATULATIONS! You look great!
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    At last, someone has put up the question that's been bugging me for an age! I'm doing quite well with this weight loss lark, 22lbs down in 2 months. Friends and family all say I look much slimmer, but I just don't see it! I'll agree, my clothes are falling off me and I feel much healthier, but my body shape doesn't seem to have altered much at all! I have another 2 stone to loose before I'm back to my ideal weight, but I do hope I start to see a difference soon!
  • McghanK
    McghanK Posts: 120
    Options
    Wow! great job. Yes, I understand what you mean. It's hard to notice even though your clothes fit better and you go down in size. This is going to sound like something you might not want to do, but I recommend you do so you can actually see it. Take a picture of yourself in like a bra and underware and put them somewhere, either in a a journal or something like that. Then, in a month or 2 take another one with the same clothes and same positions. I can promise you that you will see the difference. That's the only way I can notice! ;) Good luck!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. Intellectually I know how different I look. I work at a Senior Center and every day people tell me (I have 150 grandparents!) Something that has helped this time is making sure I wear clothing that fits my body. In the past I would wear a size 20 until I was a size 14.
    I believe my problem will never go away, my vision is just skewed, so I keep telling myself that reality and my version of reality don't match and I am wrong. My hips (big trouble area) have gone from 51 in. to 42 in. When I do the laundry I always put one pair of pants in that I wore at my heaviest so when I fold my clothes I see and feel how much smaller my clothes are now.
  • crystlgrn
    crystlgrn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I had this problem also. People kept telling me how great I looked and how much difference they could see but I couldn't see any change. So, I forced myself to take a current picture and I got a photobucket account and created a side-by-side with an old picture of me and the new one. Then i could finally see the difference. I still didn't see a huge difference but still I could see something and that was encouraging.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem: body dysmorphia. I've lost two (plus a little) pants sizes (10 to a 6), but I look in the mirror and don't see a change. I know that I've lost, and I know that I look better in pictures, but when I wake up and look in the bathroom mirror, I still think about how much more I need to lose to be happy. I still have "fat days." I'm starting to seek professional help for this; it's a psychological issue.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've been working on losing weight since January 4, and according the scale, I'm having quite a bit of success (95.5 lbs down so far). My clothing sizes have changed several times now, I'm stronger, and my endurance has improved greatly. But when I look in the mirror, I still see the same me from nearly 6 months ago. I think my mirror perspective is skewed. Anyone else have this problem?

I have lost about 130lbs and still see myself as "disgustingly fat". No matter what ppl say I just dont see what they see. i look in the mirror and see fat everywhere. I know exactly what you are going thru
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I think its because you see yourself everyday so you dont really see any difference instead of going by the mirror why dont you find some picture from pre-weight loss and compare them so some now pictures :)
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I had the same feelings. I went shopping for new clothes because my old ones were falling off of me, I've gone from a size 24 to a size 16 so far, and I had difficulty not buying the big baggy clothes because I didn't think I looked any different. If my 18 year old daughter hadn't been shopping with me that day, I never would have picked out the clothes that "reveal" my new body that is taking shape.

Your mind needs to adjust to your new body, the trigger will happen when you least expect it and when it does, you'll be like "damn I look great!!"
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Photos help. I didn't take before photos and I wish I had. I was avoiding the camera so I don't think there are any real before photos for me.

Take measurements. I can't see changes but I know they are there because the inches are slowly coming off.

Wear clothes that fit (as the above poster said).

Keep a list of your NSVs (non-scale victories). Mine for today: having to tie the drawstring on my pants so they don't slip down.

Take some time each meal to appreciate the changes that you've made in what is on your plate. If you have a treat meal, appreciate that you've earned it with good overall habits and a lifestyle choice that makes treats possible.

I think most women look in the mirror and see a bigger person than is really there, even very thin women. I'm not expecting that to change, so my suggestions are about where to find success outside the mirror.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Please! Please! Please!! Google How to look good naked!!
    Started as a UK series on TV and Canada adopted (a kinda lame) version. But it is amazing to watch and might help put some things into perspective for some folks. I helped me understand people see me differently. How I percieve my body is not entirely accurate! Just a suggestion......
  • stepha1013
    stepha1013 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had this too. I had at one point lost over 30+ lbs and people would tell me how good I looked but I wasn't to goal but their words kept me comfortable with where I was.

Recently I had weight creep back on and didn't realize it either.

The only thing that was a reality to me was pictures to look back on. Take them weekly and stay focused until you get to where YOU are comfortable. You look fantastic. You've done a great job so far!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I've lost 30lbs and went from size 12/14 to a 0/2 - and I can't see it. I know my clothes are small, I'm more fit. I have very low body fat - but I don't see it at all. I think mine came from years of a mom pointing out anyone and everyone who was "fat" or lost or gained 10lbs - but I really don't notice it in myself or others. I find that when a friend loses weight it has to be 40lbs for me to notice a difference.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!