Another tip from Jillian Michaels: Think your metabolism's g

Options

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I'm at maintenance and the 12 lbs. times my weight of 135 is just about what MFP has me at for maintenance so I agree that this is for re-setting the metabolism and not losing weight.
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight.

eh?!
    that is 700 cals a day over what MFP recommends as my daily allowance!
    i would be a whale if i did this!

Not if you did it only for 4-8 weeks at the beginning of trying to lose weight...what she says makes a lot of sense. It's taken me 2.5 years of calorie counting & eating back my exercise calories to get mine back to "almost normal". Probably would have been better to do it her way...

One more good reason to eat back your exercise calories...otherwise it's just another "crash diet" where you are way undereating and screwing up your metabolism.

Lisa, what you said makes a lot of sense. I think I've been denying myself food for so long that I am afraid to eat. I've trained myself to think that less is better. Interesting how I never really lost weight eating less.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight.

eh?!
    that is 700 cals a day over what MFP recommends as my daily allowance!
    i would be a whale if i did this!

Not if you did it only for 4-8 weeks at the beginning of trying to lose weight...what she says makes a lot of sense. It's taken me 2.5 years of calorie counting & eating back my exercise calories to get mine back to "almost normal". Probably would have been better to do it her way...

One more good reason to eat back your exercise calories...otherwise it's just another "crash diet" where you are way undereating and screwing up your metabolism.

Amen =D.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    She doesnt mention eating back the calories though. and she wants you to workout so you should burn at least 300 a day. But maybe she was talking with a smaller person. For me is sounds fine i would be at 1700 calories by this and with workouts it would drop down my calories to 1200 to 1400 a day.
    [/quote)

This is how I think it is. Mfp set your calories not taking workouts into account and suggests you eat them, as it adds it to your calorie intake when logged.
  • yvmgil
    yvmgil Posts: 6
    Options
    Great tips, Thanks
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Mine would be 1596 which is not much more than where I am currently at maintenance, 1450 plus my exercise calories.

I think what she is saying is that in order to fix what you have screwed up with the years of yo-yo dieting (read it again people) is to take your current weight x 12 and stick to that for 1-2 months to fix your body; then you can start with a deficit and start losing weight the healthy way. I think she hit the nail on the head with this one.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    She doesnt mention eating back the calories though. and she wants you to workout so you should burn at least 300 a day. But maybe she was talking with a smaller person. For me is sounds fine i would be at 1700 calories by this and with workouts it would drop down my calories to 1200 to 1400 a day.
    [/quote)

This is how I think it is. Mfp set your calories not taking workouts into account and suggests you eat them, as it adds it to your calorie intake when logged.

Oops, i managed to type my reply into the quote :blushing:
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yah - I would imagine that at this point it's just resetting your metabolism so that afterwards you'll be able to being a healthy lifestyle. If you're constantly yo-yo dieting and you can't seem to lose weight, you don't really have a BMR to figure out how to subract from since you've fluctuated it so much. By starting off setting your BMR to a normal rate you'll be able to figure out how many calories you'll need to burn/decrease from daily in order to lose weight!
  • mpchaplin
    mpchaplin Posts: 19
    Options
    I know it sounds like a lot, but when I can vividly remember back in undergrad when I was starting to lose weight I would limit my calories one week and then slacken that restriction the next week, and I would lose weight (I was also exercising). All I know is that there is something to be said about letting your body realize you aren't trying to starve it. And like she said, this is for people who are majorly restricting their calories, not doing it in a smart, reasonable way.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bump....
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    I think what she is saying is that in order to fix what you have screwed up with the years of yo-yo dieting (read it again people) is to take your current weight x 12 and stick to that for 1-2 months to fix your body; then you can start with a deficit and start losing weight the healthy way. I think she hit the nail on the head with this one.
    [/quote]

I agree with this ^

To the OP... Thanks for posting. Very interesting.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I zig-zag my calories. If I take my body weight x 12 calories, it equals the amount of calories I eat on my high zig zag day. This seems to make sense to me. Luckily, I rarely did 'yo yo diets' in the past, so my metabolism isn't messed up, just a little slower. It seems to have gotten better since I started averaging 4000 burned calories a week.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    wow I would have to eat 500 more cals them mfp says.
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    My average calories burnt is 1950 (incl exercise) a day. My weight (155) times 12 equals 1860.

I agree with resetting your metabolism after yo-yo dieting or extended periods of eating at a deficit. I did this last fall and although I gained 5 pounds, I was able to restart my weight loss this year and it went much faster than before the reset. Now, I eat at maintenance for 1 week, after every 3 months of "dieting", to reset my leptin levels and sanity :wink: . It works!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options

Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly.

There is no way that this would be correct, I did the math and mine would be eating ,2664 calories. I have my goals set to 1550 calories a day every day.

Try eating 1 Tblsp of Virgin Coconut Oil to boost your Metabolism, Its great for that and many other things. I bought some and read a post on here someplace were that is all that person did and she didn't exercise and lost a ton of weight with pics to prove it! Doesn't hurt to try it. I decided to try it because my Metabolism seem to be slow.
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    12 calories per pound is exactly what MFP has me at for .5 lbs a week weight loss. It's right on. I would say that you can't apply this equally to both men and women. The reason women generally are only allowed half the calories a man is because they lack of muscle mass of a man. MFP doesnt take in to account various frame sizes that plays a huge part when shooting for an ideal body weight be it male or female. This notion of resetting ones metabolism is quackery lol. JM is a exercise goddess not a nutriton and biology mastermind.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Mine would be 1596 which is not much more than where I am currently at maintenance, 1450 plus my exercise calories.

I've starved myself on some days, binged and purged on other days, ate like a mad woman on the rest.

My body needs more than ninety days to understand what I'm doing...

Thanks for posting!
  • nwachim
    nwachim Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    12 x my current weight gives me fewer calories (1620) than what I eat now (1900) - and I lose fat.

But rather than a simple math equation to find my calorie goal, I'd rather use something that uses a bit more info, like height, weight & body fat percentage. I set my goals according to the info and tools here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 Works beautifully.