Camping Food

Options
I'm going to be camping for about a week and I was wondering if anyone knew any good foods to bring a long? I'm not sure if fresh fruit and veggies would last that long especially if it's hot.
Thanks =]

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    maybe you will need to invest in another cooler for fruit. watermelon, apples, bananas can stay out, packages bars are good. potatoes, meat. can you pick up supplies half way through your trip?

Peanut butter and bread is great.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on "camping", there's actually 50 pages of posts to look at.

I bring baby carrots, grape tomatos, cucumbers, celery and hummus for dipping
    Apples bananas oranges watermelon honey dew canteloupe grapes
    oatmeal, eggs, turkey bacon, cereal milk for breakfast
    soups, sandwiches, salads for lunch
    steak, chicken, pork chops, sweet potatoes, asparagus, zuchini, squash, mushrooms, onions, for dinners

If you HAVE to have smores. make sure to take your time and toast your marshmallow until it's a golden brown, use nutella as your chocolate, and a low fat graham cracker.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on "camping", there's actually 50 pages of posts to look at.

I bring baby carrots, grape tomatos, cucumbers, celery and hummus for dipping
    Apples bananas oranges watermelon honey dew canteloupe grapes
    oatmeal, eggs, turkey bacon, cereal milk for breakfast
    soups, sandwiches, salads for lunch
    steak, chicken, pork chops, sweet potatoes, asparagus, zuchini, squash, mushrooms, onions, for dinners

If you HAVE to have smores. make sure to take your time and toast your marshmallow until it's a golden brown, use nutella as your chocolate, and a low fat graham cracker.
    2 regular smores has 400 calories n them, what a great idea to lower the calories using nutella. I loved bakes sweet potatos they r so yummy! It bein so hot camping n the south cold things r a must, The cooler for cold fruits & veggies is a great idea
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! I completely forgot about sweet potatoes and I LOVE them lol.
  • Sarw27
    Sarw27 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too since I'll be camping in August... luckily though, I'll be camping in prime locale for fresh fruit and veggies, so I'll be buying a lot while I'm there!

You could try getting some fruit that is not quite ripe yet, that will last longer... and things like nuts and seeds and bars are easy to take along. I'm looking forward to the BBQ because that means all the fat will drip off of my meat! The hardest thing for me will be taking things like chicken instead of typical crappy camping food like hot dogs.