Weight loss on vacation???

Options
I am at my halfway mark in my weight loss - 25 down, 25 to go- YAY! I am the thinnest I have been in 10 years- YAY! To celebrate my 40th bday, I am going to Maui for 8 days (can I get a "woot woot"?) So.... why am I nervous and worried? I am not sure how to lose weight while on vacation.

I am staying in a condo on the beach. I have planned a trip to the grocery store to buy breakfast/lunch/snack materials to help keep my calories down most of the day, but i DO plan on eating dinner out to get some of the local fun and flavors. And a mai tai or two sounds great in the evening while watching the sunset over the water...
I have planned some very physical activities, like morning runs on the beach, a sunrise hike, snorkeling, paddle board lessons, zipline.... so I should be able to log in at least 400 cals burned a day... I hope. I also plan on taking a 10 minute trainer DVD to do in the mornings.
Trouble is... I usually plan plan plan.... and then totally blow it on vacation. I recently had a class out of town and was in a hotel room, and made some horrible food/exercise choices.... I didn't gain any weight, but didn't lose either. I am part of a weight loss competition, and that usually helps keep me motivated, but I fear it will be just too easy to get caught up in the whole "this is a once in a lifetime vacation, and I deserve..." blah blah like I usually do.
Any words of advice from people who travel a lot while losing weight? I don't want to compromise my feeling of "vacation", but don't want to come home 10 lbs heavier, either. HELP!!

Replies

• trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I never fear my Hawaii trips because they have such wonderful fruits, fish, and even luau food is wonderful with the Kalua pork, salads, etc!!! AND, I spend so much time paddling around in the water, hiking, etc, it's easy to stay on track there. Not saying that you can't indulge in some of the wonderful foods that AREN'T so good for you since it IS vacation, but that's one of the easiest places to go and not be SO worried about what I partake in!! What part of the island are you going to?
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Are you going with anyone that will work out with you? It's always easier with support.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Dont you worry about a thing. You will find it is so expensive to purchase anything there, that you will only eat what you catch snorkeling or can grow in the 8 days you are there....lol. Just enjoy yourself and do not go overboard. You have lost it before, and it will be just as easy, or easier to lose when you get back. No need not to enjoy such an expensive vaca.
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    Hello! It already sounds like you are on the right track by planning a trip to a grocery store. I would get some fruit and plenty of water. I just came back from a weekend trip to the beach & even though we carried water with us... I didn't have any snacks & my "schedule" was knocked off track because I didn't have just me to worry about like I do during the day at work, but I also had my daughter and my husband. It's your vacation... so if I were you, I'd enjoy it! You don't have to squeeze so much exercise in, unless it's something you know you can do and still have plenty of time to enjoy everything else. The snorkeling, hikes & paddle boarding will burn a good amount of calories. Allow yourself to have fun!!! I don't think you'll have any problems! :smile:
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I am staying in Kehei, but have day trips planned all over. :)
    I am going with my fitness minded best friend, and my very active firefighter boyfriend. I will have great support!! :)
    Luckily, this vaca was a GIFT - the condo is family owned, and the airfare was my bday gift, so I just have to pay for the activities and the food. SUCH a blessing!!
  • RMJC
    RMJC Posts: 5
    Options
    Dieting on vacation and to Hawaii? GOOD LUCK LADY!!!
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    one thing i try to do when i go out anywhere, when you get your food, as for a to go container when you get your food and pou half of it in there and set it aside first thing. that way you arnt tempted to over eat.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    thats a great idea! thanks :)