breakfast?

Options
Right, I'm away to ask the most stupid question ever but humor me please

When exactly is breakfast?

Is it when I get up? or a certain period of time in the morning?

because assuming I get up at 11am or after have I then missed breakfast or what?

confused :(

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It would be after you wake up from your daily sleep (whether that was morning, noon, or night) but I don't know if there is an official cutoff for how long after.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I heard that you should eat within 20 minutes of waking to get your metabolism in gear... but I also heard (and I like this one better) that it should be 12 hours after your last meal.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    You should have "breakfast" within the first hour of waking up. It is the fuel that keeps you going during the day. What you eat doesn't matter just don't skip it.

Saying you get up at 11, do you stil 3-5 small meals a day or do you "skip" breakfast and just have lunch and dinner?
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I go by when I get up. I try to eat within and hour of waking and every 3-4 hours after that.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    Never skip breakfast. It's the meal that kickstarts your metabolism and signals your body that it's time to start breaking stuff down. From what I've read and heard from RDs, you should eat within 20 minutes of waking up. Studies have shown that those who eat breakfast also eat less over the course of a day, because they are less likely to get really hungry and then binge at their next meal.

Someone posted this article on here yesterday, and I really like it. And there's a whole segment devoted to breakfast. This need not apply only to cyclists (you'll see that the article is directed at cyclers).

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/big-fat-lies?page=0,0&cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Story-_-fatlies
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've just been having lunch and dinner so I've been skipping breakfast but I really want to start making the effort to eat it now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just been having lunch and dinner so I've been skipping breakfast but I really want to start making the effort to eat it now.

If you are healthy and skipping breakfast doesn't cause you to overeat at lunch, then this is likely fine. Whether you "need" to eat soon after waking depends on several things, most importantly your lifestyle. If you work out in the mornings, you probably need calories in the morning for energy. If you are just going to be sitting at a desk all day, you need much less. But even those are generalizations. For years I ran in the morning before I went to work. But I can't run on a full stomach or eat right after exercise, so I woke at 6:00 a.m., had a glass of water, and ran 3 miles. Then around 9 - 9:30 I'd get hungry and eat something.