Which is better? Cardio first, or weights?

Options
I hear of the cardio first vs. weight training. I usually do elliptical training first, then weights. Is that the best way to go?? I find that doing free weights after a hard cardio is relaxing, and I feel a better burn. Should I rotate the work, or keep this way? I would love feedback! :)

Replies

• destiny637
    destiny637 Posts: 79
    Options
    I would also LOVE to hear what others say regarding this. Thx for posting. :)
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    bump
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know myself.
  • jennlee80
    jennlee80 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have read some great info stating that weights before cardio are best!!!
  • citylights117
    Options
    I'd like to know too... Bump!
  • LisaS519
    LisaS519 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have always heard that if you are going to do both, you should do the cardio first. I head out the door to run around 5am so needless to say, I do cardio first..lol. I usually do strength in the afternoon, but right now I'm doing it at physical therapy so that might change in the future.
  • malibu83
    malibu83 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've actually read in Women's Health that it is best to do a little bit of cardio to warm up first. Strength train then do your cardio. I feel that as long as you're getting it all in you are ahead of the game!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I do not know which one is better, but personally I burn more calories if I do the cardio first, then the lifting:flowerforyou:
  • Misty1777
    Misty1777 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have read some great info stating that weights before cardio are best!!!

I have read this a couple of places also....weights then cardio.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i normally do weights first. just because if i dont, by the time im done with cardio im pooped, and i dont think ill do them.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    *bump*
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first then weights if they fall on the same day. My reasoning is that cardio is harder and you have to really put all your effort in unlike weight lifting where there are more breaks. If I am too sore from lifting, then I might not really put my all into my run or whatever cardio I'm doing. My other reasoning is because after doing cardio, your heart rate is up so you are burning more calories while you are strength training then if you did it the other way around. This works out best for me anyway.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Our personal trainer at LaFitness says Strength training first, then cardio....I'll have to ask why, we just do what he says, LOL
  • ljsmamma07
    ljsmamma07 Posts: 30
    Options
    this has been a discusion in our house also. my hubby has heard weights before cardio and so that is what he does. i do cardio first and then weights. i just want to tone, so the fact that i spend more time on cardio than i do weights doesnt bug me.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It used to be that you did cardio, then weights. Recent research shows that is may be better to do a short warm up, then weights, then cardio.

I have switched my routine to follow this and like it.

http://www.fitsugar.com/Cardio-First-Weights-Second-2717838

The idea makes sense to me in theory, so I figure I may as well try to optimize where I can! ;)
  • 2011EP
    2011EP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    strength first because during that time you can burn carbs and once you start cardio you are burning fat. It takes some time for your body to start burning fat so I would do cardio after some kind of strength or light warm-up to ensure efficient workouts.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. Doing one before the other will have a small negative effect on the latter. Meaning, if you do a true cardio workout, it will cost you a little strength, and vice versa.

However, I've read that cardio before strength will help burn more calories while strength training since your HR will already be elevated before lifting any weights.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    The advice I have been given is it is best to do a 5 min warm-up then weights then cardio. It apparently is the most effective way.

However long and the short of it - is whichever way round - its better than doing nothing!!
  • exercisarah
    Options
    it depends if you are doing the exercises consecutively or separate throughout the day. if you are doing them consecutively, I would recommend doing your weights first and then cardio. When you do cardio, your body is using up the energy stores in your body, so by the time you get to weights you'll have far less energy. It's still ok to do cardio first if that's what you're used to, but it might be helpful to refuel with a quick snack before your weights to get the most out of your workout. If you are doing cardio and weights at separate times, then it shouldn't really matter which order you go in.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My trainer has my doing a 10 -15 minute warm up, then hit the weight lifting, once the weight lifting is done she has me then cardio for 20- 60 minutes after that.

Explanation she gave me was: the human body does not start to burn fat till 20 minutes into a workout. Muscles have to warm up before they can cook the fat! So if you warm up 10-15 and then lift weights your muscles and body are fully loaded for burning fat the minute you hit the cardio machines, instead of 20 later.

My rotation is M-W-F cardio and weights (M: legs, W: abs, F: arms)
    T-TH just cardio 40- 60 mins

However I can do the weights again if I like as long as I do not work the same routine in a row. Skip and day inbetween the muscle groups worked.

Hope this helps!