Diary Input-- As You Go or Planned Out?

Options
I've noticed that I do better if I fill my entire diary in either the night before or in the morning. I know what I've planned, I am not rushing and making bad choices while I am hungry.

In the diary of friends it seems like most people are filling up their diary as they go.

How do you do it, and am I wasting time by filling it all in and then making changes as I slip up or if something changes in my day? Pros and cons, please. :)

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the day before so my exercise is spread out throughout the day, and I don't have to think when I go to eat, I just eat what I had planned.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I like to plan out breakfast and lunch if I can, I usually do when I have work so I can pack it the night before. I usually think about dinner during the day, but I log as I go with that.
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    I TOTALLY fill mine in in the morning. Especially if I'm going out. I look up the restaurant, and I know what I can have, and how many calories it is. I don't post it till like 8 or 9, when I'm done for the night... but it helps me know what the day looks like, and I look forward to what I'm going to eat. I think this is what keeps me under my calories.
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have my breakfast and lunch planned out each day... I just put it in my diary as I eat it instead of beforehand. I always vary with my dinner so I input that as I eat it too... but I always have the same type of dinners each week.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the day before so my exercise is spread out throughout the day, and I don't have to think when I go to eat, I just eat what I had planned.
    Absolutely planned out as well, the only way you don't end up with a zillion calories to eat at 8pm.

Pre-planning = success!:drinker:
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    both really - depends on the day
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I generally plan ahead with what I am going to eat, but I don't usually log it until I have eaten it.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I normally fill mine in as I go as I don't know where I'll be for dinner. I work all over the place. Sometimes I'll make myself some dinner and if so I'll log it the night before, but that doesn't happen very often.

Of course whilst I've been eating within my calories, the past couple of weeks I haven't done much exercise at all. I aim to change that though.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I plan and write in ahead of time, then edit if/when things change. I'm a big planner and list maker, so that is a plus for me.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends with what works for you, I tried the planning first but things always changed through out my day and I would also plan my workouts, and that always changed as well, so Now I just Fill As I Go, it works for me...:) Good luck to ya!

-Jess From Illinois
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Planned meals.

May not know what meal on what day but I have the 'main' fixings on hand and know what the plan is for the week.
  • indigoangel86
    Options
    I like to plan mine out in the morning. However, sometimes by the time dinner comes I'll want something else instead so I go in and change it. I plan, but I keep my options open! Lol
  • Alishaa18
    Alishaa18 Posts: 21
    Options
    That's a really good idea!..I have really good intentions and then I flop... This tactic I may try and see how it works. Thanks!
  • nicolerah
    nicolerah Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I try to plan most of my meals ahead of time.... that way I can control the numbers. I try my best to stick to it but if I dont, I still try to check what I plan to intake just before dishing it onto a plate, to ensure that I dont go over!!
  • Maddy__H
    Maddy__H Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I guess its individual preference... I eat lunch in the canteen and will choose every day between their lean option or the salad buffet. And in the evenings I like to browse through my fridge and look what appeals to me. But I will log it before I eat to not go over on calories. If what you are doing works for you, keep it up!
  • 1n3br14t3d
    Options
    I have an idea of what I can and can not eat but would like to plan my meals. Instead, I find myself making it up as I go. I just started my weight loss journey so I may start planning my meals down the line. My main concern is my calorie intake being accurate. Some foods I eat are not accurately represented in the database or simply not there so I would add/ edit the food later on.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    It will really depend on your lifestyle. My job makes it almost impossible to plan. I log as I go. Always all over most times, barely enough time for lunch. Typically meetings out somewhere and it is a “working lunch.” That’s why I love the app. The minute I know where I am going, I do a quick search on my phone of what they have and pick the best option. On weeks I know its light on the meetings, I bring my lunch.

If it’s been working for you, do what’s best for you.
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do mine as I go. I use the ipone app so i dont miss anything if i am away from a computer. I do the same when I'm at the gym, using the iphone too, so everytime i finish on a machine, i log the time and calories
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I plan and enter mine into the database in the morning, that way I can adjust and add more protein or add more of this/that, or eat a little less or pack an extra snack.

It keeps me from getting home and not knowing what to fix and thus falling into temptation. It also keeps me from over or undereating.

I add in my exercise too, that way I don't have to eat 400 extra calories right before bed time. I spread them out and eat them through out the day. AND BECAUSE I eat my work out calories before I work out, this makes me HAVE TO work out.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mine is totally on the fly. I'm fortunate that I work at a big box grocery retailer, so I have plenty of options for my lunch at work. At home, I have a few meals made up in my head. But I don't ever really sit down and pre-plan my food for the day. So far, I've been lucky and things have been going smoothly. I've surprised myself a few times, though. Like last night, I made pigs-in-a-blanket with Yves veggie dogs and some crescent rolls. I was expecting to go way over on my calories, but didn't! I was able to eat plenty of food and stay around 1500cal for the day.

I'm not opposed to planning out my daily food. But so far, doing it as it comes is working out well for me.