Replies

• sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • rosemiller11
    rosemiller11 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    thanks for starting this thread... and to all of you who have posted thanks so much ! Y'all are amazing!
  • ccmulder5
    ccmulder5 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR POSTS.. it is great to see so many have lost so much weight.. i am 32 days into my new life, and feel really good about it.. 18 lbs down, and only 162 more to go.. the BIG picture for me is too scary to think about, so i am taking this 1 pound at a time. i am working out 5+ days per week doing a Boot Camp Circuit Training Program.. it kicks my *kitten* daily and i am loving it. sometimes i stay for 2 classes and on occasion, when time allows.. i have stayed for 3.. the first week was the worst, it made me cry.. these exercises were all things that i used to be able to do (back in the day) and now when i tried.. i couldn't.... they helped me modify, and keep going.. always supportive and encouraging.. now i am able to do more, and i just can't get enough!!
    I am terrified of social gatherings.. potlucks..and anything involving food at this point in my life.. i live alone, and i work from home, so it makes it easy for me to control what food i am surrounded by.. is it strange that i am stifiling (sp?) friendships due to lack of support? i find that i am keeping our communication open only by phone/text these days because when we get together.. it's usually a food fest.. and last time i was social with them.. it was as if they didn't take me seriously.. kept saying.. just this once won't hurt.. you can go back on tomorrow.. things like that.. in turn that was the last time i went out with them..
    anyways.. i just feel like.. i gotta do what i gotta do.. with or without you..
    sorry.. just venting a little..
    friend me if you'd like..
    i'm currently shopping for people that know, understand, and can relate to what i'm going through..
    ~caroline
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Not only does this have fantastic information it is very inspiring as well - thanks!
  • Jjames1978
    Jjames1978 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR POSTS.. it is great to see so many have lost so much weight.. i am 32 days into my new life, and feel really good about it.. 18 lbs down, and only 162 more to go.. the BIG picture for me is too scary to think about, so i am taking this 1 pound at a time. i am working out 5+ days per week doing a Boot Camp Circuit Training Program.. it kicks my *kitten* daily and i am loving it. sometimes i stay for 2 classes and on occasion, when time allows.. i have stayed for 3.. the first week was the worst, it made me cry.. these exercises were all things that i used to be able to do (back in the day) and now when i tried.. i couldn't.... they helped me modify, and keep going.. always supportive and encouraging.. now i am able to do more, and i just can't get enough!!
    I am terrified of social gatherings.. potlucks..and anything involving food at this point in my life.. i live alone, and i work from home, so it makes it easy for me to control what food i am surrounded by.. is it strange that i am stifiling (sp?) friendships due to lack of support? i find that i am keeping our communication open only by phone/text these days because when we get together.. it's usually a food fest.. and last time i was social with them.. it was as if they didn't take me seriously.. kept saying.. just this once won't hurt.. you can go back on tomorrow.. things like that.. in turn that was the last time i went out with them..
    sorry.. just venting a little..
    friend me if you'd like..
    i'm currently shopping for people that know, understand, and can relate to what i'm going through..
    ~caroline

I had to quit my Thirsty Thursday's with the guys from work cause they all would hound me about not drinking and indulging in the bar food. I would get ridiculed at lunch for my healthy Turkey sandwiches and fruit, and how girly it was. Sad thing now is they are all asking me for advice and trying to follow in my footsteps, I think there are at least 5 guys I work with that I turned on to MFP and we now sit at lunch and eat salads and turkey sandwiches and talk about our work out routines and different supplements we take. LOL. They will come around, you might just have to take a break for a while to show them your seriousness. Good luck!
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the nectar proteins! Lemonade and Iced tea are my favorites so far. I have a sample pack of vanilla but have not tried it yet.

LOVE the vanilla with milk and frozen mangos. It's like mango icecream, but it's low fat, low cal, and LOTS of protein.
  • PhoenixRising17
    PhoenixRising17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love the suggestions here thank you all!
  • witchyboots
    witchyboots Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My friends did that, always invited me out for drinks and then they would eat chips and mayonaise in front of me saying just one wouldn't hurt. But it's not the one that would hurt, it's the other dozen I would eat! So I don't see them much anymore. I think in all honesty they are a little jealous that I have stuck to this and am so determined to succeed.
  • mike20603
    mike20603 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have lost 93 lbs in 19 months. It has been a slow process with some weeks of no loss and others with a pleasant surprise. I have not lost more than 4 lbs ever and generally average .5-2 lb loss.

Things I have done-
    1- eliminated diet pop, this was huge for me but helps me snack less
    2- decreased my carbs, especially processed food
    3-include lots of fruits and veggies every day.
    4-drink lots of water, if you do 1 thing really increase your water, it flushes your system and has so many benefits, strive to drink 1/2 your weight a day in ounces
    5- exercize, when I started I could only walk, now I bike, run, elipitcal, weight training
    6-increased fiber, these foods keep you full longer and really satisfy but becareful, more fiber = increase need for more water
    7- really listen to your own body, I don't stress about eating back calories or not, I really listen to my body sometimes I need more calories than others but I try to make them count water, nuts, protein shakes, protein/fiber bars, fruit, yogurt, etc...
    8- reward my victories with clothes or other non-food items, buying a smaller size is so satisfying. I don't buy alot since I hope to always go down further but it is rewarding.

I started at a size 20 and now wear a solid 10 occasional 8. Remember you can do it and it will be the most rewarding thing you've ever done

Have faith

I like this list a lot. My experience has been similar; with the following small variations:

1. Never did the diet pop thing, but drank plenty of regular before. Now, its all water all the time.
    2. Great advice.
    3. Great advice.
    4. Great advice, but a hard one for me to do. I still struggle some days, but I can feel the good effects.
    5. Great advice, my experience was exactly like this.
    6. Great advice for plenty of other reasons, too.
    7. Maybe the best comment here...you'll feel gross when you overeat, and hungry when you undereat.
    8. My rewards are similar...I no longer celebrate with ice cream.

I would only add this:

9. Decide.

Decide that you want to be healthy. Losing fat and weight will be a by-product. Decide to aviod all the easy, convenient, fast food and make hard choices. Decide to commit to a program for 3 months, 6 months, whatever...just give yourself a fighting chance. Decide to actually do it. I am fond of saying that being overweight is about 90% laziness. Decide to stop being lazy (and not just about exercise, but about lazy food choices too) and do someting about the situation you've gotten yourself into.

Best of luck.
  • hmm33502
    hmm33502 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great topic so........BUMP!
  • DaChozn
    DaChozn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good advice!
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started in 2001 (don't let that scare you because I just maintained for years) I dropped 77 pounds in 2.5 months but then gained 33 so I stayed down 43 pounds until probably2008 then did ww until 2009 when I joined a gym I was 246, that was 1.5 years ago and now am down to 195. I can truly say ww or eating healthy along with the gym is the best way to go. It's not fast but it is very doable. There are good days and bad days but if your mentality if just a new way of life and not a diet for so long then you'll accomplish. Down 135 to date and would like to lose another 36 I'm thinkg 159 would be good for me even though weight charts say my higher end should be 155. Good Luck!! If I can do it, you can do it, it's mainly mental (Really - my favorite saying "just say no" and quit seeing or thinkgin about it - that easy
  • sara_bear84
    sara_bear84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    My friends did that, always invited me out for drinks and then they would eat chips and mayonaise in front of me saying just one wouldn't hurt. But it's not the one that would hurt, it's the other dozen I would eat! So I don't see them much anymore. I think in all honesty they are a little jealous that I have stuck to this and am so determined to succeed.

I guess I should be really greatful that my friends are not like this. Now they offer to split entrees with me or try and find the healthiest appetizer on the menu. I never gave up alcohol, just gave it up during the week. I'll have to tell them how thankful I am for them. My family on the other hand, hasn't changed anything and they give me the ...eating it this one time won't be a problem :) I have learned to hold my own.
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Bump.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice/suggestions and very inspirational stories of weight-loss !!!!

*Thanks*
  • jwheele
    jwheele Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump. This is great. Thanks everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!