Anyone from Hawaii??

Options
circusmom
circusmom Posts: 662 Member
My Hubby is looking at taking a transfer to Hawaii and just wondering if anyone can tell me what the cost of living, and renting is like? I've heard it costs more to live there?

Replies

• sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    Options
    You can message/add me if you like...my husband & I have lived on Oahu for just about 2 years now. :heart:
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I understand the cost of living is rivaled with So Cal.
  • christy7322
    Options
    Lived there for years. It is definitely more expensive because everything is imported. Gas, the last time I checked, was around $4.58/gal. The major grocery stores are Foodland and Safeway. You can go to www.foodland.com to get an idea of food costs. If you're renters it's safe to say that you will be paying almost double what you do in the mainland, check Craigslist for an idea of housing prices. Even after all that, I am considering a move back next year. There's just no other place like it:) .
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think we've been thinking the same thing.
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I lived with a family friend for a month and a half and this was in 2007 and milk was around 4 dollars a gallon and a big box of cheerios, the very big box, was around 8 dollars I believe. I took pictures for people at home. However I love it and would love to live their later in life. For me I was excited to go to a walmart for cheaper prices and it ended up being the same prices I could find at non cheap retailers on the mainland. Sigh, I miss it.