What I've noticed since I started drinking more water.

Options
Before I became healthy and exercised a lot, when I went running or did any sort of exercise, I would hardly sweat. I would, but not nearly as much as I should've. Ever since I started drinking tons of water every day, after I exercise really hard, I start POURING sweat. I just went running and never before have I had sweat drip off of my face like this. Just something little I've taken notice to. :) Maybe because my body has more water in it, it can release more?

Replies

• sjackson902
    sjackson902 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. So glad to hear that it's not just me. :)
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    OhMyGee I was thinking about this exact same thing earlier!!!

I NEVER used to sweat...I would just kind of be covered in a glaze...Now it actually drips off me!!

I guess we are finally properly hydrating our bodies...IDK
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Wow... Wonder if that's why i am drenched? I'd love to know the reasoning behind this one! I wouldn't test out not drinking though to find out, I'd die.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    I have no idea; however, I've noticed that change too. I don't know if I can attribute it to how much water I've been drinking or my increased efforts in working out, but I drink at least 10 cups a day now and sweat pours down my face. (So gross).
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've always been a sweater, sadly. It makes working out kinda disgusting, but there isn't much I can do about it. It definitely could be the increase in water intake, but for some of us it's part of our make up. /cry
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this too! I also seem to sweat MORE during that TOM. Weird!

I'm guessing it's because our bodies WERE hanging on to every little tiny drop before, since we were lazy and dehydrated!
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that same thing! I used to never sweat! Now, it's runny down my face! Interesting and yucky all at the same time.
  • AdorablePanda
    AdorablePanda Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i've noticed that too. But I figure it's good for me, because I'm sweating out all the icky things. right?
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yeah I used to just turn red, my friends were the same way and now we all sweat like HOGS! (do hogs even sweat or do they just pant like dogs?) I think it also has to do with your sweatability improving, your body is learning that it is active and its processes are improving! One more step towards athleticism.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gone for a run the morning after drinking alot of beer!? you will be pouring in sweat!
  • gothicprophet
    Options
    yeah I used to just turn red, my friends were the same way and now we all sweat like HOGS! (do hogs even sweat or do they just pant like dogs?) I think it also has to do with your sweatability improving, your body is learning that it is active and its processes are improving! One more step towards athleticism.

Actually, hogs wallow in mud to cool off.
  • jamiiiii
    jamiiiii Posts: 11
    Options
    I have been wondering why I've been sweating soo much lately!

I used to just turn really red, but now I feel like I am seriously pouring sweat all the time, it's kind of disgusting.

I guess this is what being properly hydrated feels like?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with increasing your water intake (under normal circumstances). Increased sweating is a normal adaptation to starting and maintaining a regular workout program.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I have two theories:

1) You just weren't working out as hard before - you might FEEL like your working the same - but that because you are fitter now!
    2) Your theory - proper hydration allows you to sweat properly.

Whilst we're on the subject - does anyone else get really salty sweat when they are dehydrated? I've literally been unable to open my eyes because my sweat stung so much!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Before I became healthy and exercised a lot, when I went running or did any sort of exercise, I would hardly sweat. I would, but not nearly as much as I should've. Ever since I started drinking tons of water every day, after I exercise really hard, I start POURING sweat. I just went running and never before have I had sweat drip off of my face like this. Just something little I've taken notice to. :) Maybe because my body has more water in it, it can release more?

At the most simple level, yes. If you don't have water in your body, you can't perspire. Beyond that, though, I would doubt it.

I'm not an exercise physiologist but I've had some experience with preventing heat injuries (as well as having had a heat injury)

One reason to sweat is to cool your body. If you are heating your body and you don't have enough water to sweat, your body temp will increase. If you keep exercising, your body will do what it has to to protect itself — you'll feel hot and "get the message". If you keep going, you'll get a heat injury.

All told, I can't imagine that there's a strong correlation between water intake and sweat production on a sustained basis.

With all of the whiz bang ideas that pop up, keep in mind that the body works to achieve homeostasis (look it up in the Wiki) and it will do what it can to preserve life so it will send signals to the conscious brain to alter its behavior. If you don't have enough water in your body, it will let you know through making you feel thirsty. If you don't have enough food in your stomach, you feel hungry. Etc, etc.
  • kelseyannxo
    Options
    same here, guys! I used to only get red and glazed - now I feel like somebody poured water over my head. Right now, there's drips of sweat leaking from my forehead and actually falling off my face! Gross, but kinda cool and interesting. My dad sweats like a freaking pig! I used to think it was bizzare but now I know how he feels. Haha.

Azdak - That could be it, too. I never thought about it that way...!
  • kelseyannxo
    Options

At the most simple level, yes. If you don't have water in your body, you can't perspire. Beyond that, though, I would doubt it.

I'm not an exercise physiologist but I've had some experience with preventing heat injuries (as well as having had a heat injury)

One reason to sweat is to cool your body. If you are heating your body and you don't have enough water to sweat, your body temp will increase. If you keep exercising, your body will do what it has to to protect itself — you'll feel hot and "get the message". If you keep going, you'll get a heat injury.

All told, I can't imagine that there's a strong correlation between water intake and sweat production on a sustained basis.

With all of the whiz bang ideas that pop up, keep in mind that the body works to achieve homeostasis (look it up in the Wiki) and it will do what it can to preserve life so it will send signals to the conscious brain to alter its behavior. If you don't have enough water in your body, it will let you know through making you feel thirsty. If you don't have enough food in your stomach, you feel hungry. Etc, etc.
    Hmm. Interesting. So you're saying my body is just doing what it's supposed to since I'm continously exercising?
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I'm glad I read this. When I workout I don't sweat and I wish I did. I see people in the gym just drenched and I'm still dry at the end of the class. I always drink at least 8 glasses of water but I know I need more. I will try it:)
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    We all sweat about the same rate to keep cool during high intensity exercise. 1-2 liters an hour so I doubt it is related.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Just don't eat a ton of garlic before working out... trust me... same result as with drinking tons of water! but then again, if you workout with vampires, not a problem!