15 minutes?

Options
Is it worth it for me to be walking for 15 minutes on my lunch break? I've heard you have to do at least 30 minutes of activity for it to really get your heart rate going. If I'm going to go home and do more cario and I only do 15 does that help. Would it be better for me to scrap my 15 minute walk and do 30 minutes of cario at home?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    longer is better but 15 minutes is better than not doing or better than 10 minutes. When I do Cardio I never go longer than 25 minutes
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    any movement is better than none!! :DDDD
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As has been said, something is better than nothing.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    15 minutes of walking burns more calories than 15 minutes of sitting! I get in mini walks whenever I can during the day, it adds up!
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! walking does burn cals as I've found out from my heart rate monitor. so movement (even 15) is a good thing!
  • cherri2082
    cherri2082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We both have the same goal date!!! My oldest son is getting married on October 8th! I want to wear a size 10 to the wedding - I have 25 lbs to loose! Good luck on your venture. :happy:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I say yes to 15 at work! It will burn a few calories and clear your mind. Fitness comes in all forms :)

Then yes, I would also come home and do some heavier cardio and burn a few more calories :)
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yeah, even if it does not get your hear rate up it gets you moving.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- used to even tell the very sedentary-severly overweight that if you will just get up during TV commercials and walk in place- you will have 15 min or so of movement every 60 min show-- soething is better than nothing-- and sometimes just getting out of the office will be so refreshing for the mind and soul
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes, as everyone said something is better than nothing. I wouldn’t necessarily eat those cals back for weight-loss purposes but the exercise you are doing is good for your heart and body in the long run. Not only that you are getting some much needed vitamin D. 15 minutes a day in the sun is what is recommended even for fair people like myself.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    do some speed walking if you can i bet you could burn 100 calories or more depending on your weight.
  • jennk221
    jennk221 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    do it!!! 15 minutes is better than nothing and a bonus if you are doing more later!! :happy:
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Absolutely- used to even tell the very sedentary-severly overweight that if you will just get up during TV commercials and walk in place- you will have 15 min or so of movement every 60 min show-- soething is better than nothing-- and sometimes just getting out of the office will be so refreshing for the mind and soul

That is a great idea, might have to start doing that. My boyfriend might look at weird, but who cares?!
  • blm625
    blm625 Posts: 33
    Options
    personal durring the work day a 15min walk does wonders for mood/stress...ect... but for work out no I wouldn't exactly count it. Make sure you are doing at least 30 minutes of cardio at home.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone!