Newbie Runner

Options
BioQueen
BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
Hello! I'm 21 and I have never been athletic in any sense that included running (I was more of a horseback riding girl... the horse ran for me haha). However, when I run I tend to lose weight more easily than doing any other aerobic exercise (I lost my first 20 pounds on the elliptical). So I am home for the summer and I have started to run, and I have been doing so for about a month now. I really want to stick to this because it pushes me harder than other things I have tried, and I don't need to buy anything but a good pair of shoes!

I am currently 10 pounds overweight, and I am running between 2 and 3 miles 4-5 times a week. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me and other new runners. I have been trying to do my own research, and I have been trying not to push myself too hard in the beginning, but not slacking off either. I spent the first few weeks on the treadmill, but I have been running outside with even better results (less boring!). I haven't found as much on running while overweight or trying to lose weight. So any advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Runner's World is a great magazine. I find it useful and motivating.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Google jeff calloway and Chi Running. both great for info. Check into local running shoe stores for group run / running group. there you will find great people, support and info.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You might want to add fartleks or interval runs in to your routine one day a week (run fast for 1 minute, slow for 1 minute, repeat a bunch), or add a hill workout or a new route or something like that.
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    that Jeff Galloway not calloway. having My cousin Vinny flashbacks.