Greek Yogurt Recommendations

Options
Teeladog
Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
So...I am still way under on my protein most days. People have recommended greek yogurt to me because I really like yogurt. However, I tried the Fage 0% greek yogurt and that is a complete NO GO...I wanted to throw it up as soon as I took a bite. I want to give Greek Yogurt a try again though so I need to know what brands you guys have tried and liked or what you add to it.

All recommendations welcome (except Fage 0%...not going down that path again).

Thanks!

Replies

• Mommyof3texans
    Options
    The plain greek yogurt has quite a bitter taste to it so a lot of people add fruit or honey or some other sweetener to it to make it taste better. Here's what I like, I think it has a better texture than the Fage 0%

Stoneyfield Oikos 0% Plain and I like to add a little honey and a little peanut butter (or PB2 for me) and mix it up real good so it's like a peanut butter parfait.
  • rmlandrum
    rmlandrum Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Did you try just plain? Some find it too tart on it's own. I like Chobani brand the best, by itself or topped with fruit/cereal/granola. Stoneyfield brand seems to be the least tart.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I eat Chobani, there's a few different flavors and it doesn't have the sour taste plain kind has.. Also Greek gods honey flavored is good. If you add banana and granola to it, it tastes a lot like banana cream pie. :)
  • tracyb810
    tracyb810 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chobani Raspberry is excellent. I also really like the Black Cherry. It's the only Greek yogurt I can eat.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and a splash of honey
    smashed banana and a little peanut butter

onion soup or ranch mix mixed in makes a great veggie dip

cucumbers, onion plus greek yougurt equals yummy cucumber salad
  • musica814
    musica814 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    My grocery store only carries the Dannon Greek brand. I CANNOT handle the plain or honey versions - ACK! But the strawberry or blueberry flavors are really good.
  • realm69
    realm69 Posts: 23
    Options
    Try chobani like a couple other people suggested, but I use it to make smoothies in the morning. I use about a cup of frozen & fresh fruit a scoop of whey protein (15 g protein) and a cup of greek yogurt (32 g protein) throw in a little water or diet soda and turn on my ninja and yummy filling breakfast. P.S. I also add my 2 tsp of healthy oils because I do WW and I have never noticed the added taste.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    In one sentence:
    Fage could be less bitter with added toppings like honey or fruit, but Chobani (which comes in pre-packaged flavors already) is a popular brand to try if you're not willing to give Fage another shot.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I love Fage 0% - it is my favorite - but I cannot eat it completely plain, it is too bitter.

Sometimes I add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a packet of Stevia
    - a teaspoon of agave nectar
    - strawberries or bananas mashed up with a packet of Stevia
    - pureed pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice and a packet of Stevia
    - couple tablespoons applesauce and apple pie spice with a packet of Stevia
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Stoneyfield organic is soooo yummy! They have some with Carmel or chocolate on the bottom! And I just bought a big tub of BaNilla flavor for smoothies and yogurt pops!
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hands down the best greek yogurt is trader joe's non-fat greek yogurt, I eat the pomegranate and the honey. absolutely yummy!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Chobani strawberry and blueberry are my favorites. They use more fruit than other flavored Greek yogurts.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My average daily breakfast: yogurt, 2 oz raspberries, 1 oz. blueberries, 1/4 cup Go Lean cereal and 1 Tbl. pecan bits. On Sunday I make up packets of berries and put them in the freezer, I take one in the morning so its thawed by the time I get to work. I also make up cereal and pecan mix packets and toss them in my lunch bag to add to the yogurt and fruit. Slivered almonds work well to. Now, if I could only keep my husband from using the packets up.....make your own!
  • queenbcronen
    queenbcronen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of sour cream and it's perfect!
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    I want to try to use greek yogurt as a substitue for sour cream (MEXICAN FOOD SMOTHERED IN SOUR CREAM IS MY BIGGEST WEAKNESS)... I need to find something that fills me up so I don't eat as much mexican and has less calories...

Do you guys use greek yogurt as a sub for sour cream? I read an article that you could, but wanted to ask my fellow MFP-ers
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I like Athenos plain greek yogurt and i add fresh strawberries & blueberries. Or I get the $1 single serving ones w/ the blueberries or strawberries already on the side for you to eat w/ the yogurt, yummy in my tummy. I <3 it so much that i have the greek yogurt variations every day for my mid-morning snack. Been doing it for 2 months and still loving it. It gives me a lot of protein & i need that for muscle growth, which you already know. :)
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks Brandi bangs!
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Options
    if you are trying to get more cals in - why eat fat free anything? Low fat or full fat whatever it is usually has better flavor and less fake ingredients...Just a thought
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm not the best person to answer this one because I like my Greek yogurt tart with a wee bit of raw honey, and I don't like fat free anything, BUT my family (who all like sweeter yogurts) all seem to prefer Chobani. I buy dozens of the pomegranate and raspberry flavors for them.