Why is it hard to do this in the summer?

Options
I find it easier for me to stick to the program in the winter... workouts and eating. I have been trying to get back on this horse now for over a month and i just can't do it. I find a milion and one excuse why I need that bag of chips or it's ok to not workout today there is always tomorrow. I would think this would be easier in the summer since you can walk outdoors and do more outside... but I find myself just not having the energy to do it. Even looking back at my progress and pictures... and the closet full of 'one day I will get into those clothes'. Now because of this I am gaining back what I have lost... all that work going down the tube. :mad:

Anyone else feel like this?

Replies

• bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I find it harder in the summer time too for some reason. Not sure where you live but here in Phoenix its 115 degrees so the heat takes it out of you. I am ok with my workouts but I dont eat as clean during the summer months.

Good luck and if you figure out how to stay on track, let me know the secret! lol
  • BethanyCee
    BethanyCee Posts: 70
    Options
    I know sometimes the heat makes me feel extra lazy. Like last night I got home from a walk and instead of making dinner I just ate hummus and pita, because I was all 'but it' soooo hot I don't wanna make dinner :("

I also find it hard to work in excercise time just because I'm so much more social in the summertime. I'm more likely to go out with friends or make other plans, and by the time I get home I feel too wiped out to make to the gym. Oh so many excuses. :)
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I thought I was the only one to feel this way!! I HATE summers for that reason alone. I gain every summer. I think I find it easier in the winter because I'm not so on the go, and because my boys are in school. Which is not a good reason to eat unhealthy but that is what happens. Then we camp and I have a hard time with healhty camping food. And the boys want snacks, and I have a hard time with healthy snacks. Plus eating healthy is expensive. I do it when it's only me, because it's easier, but ..... man, I could go on and on and on.

So, don't think it's only you. I wish I could give you an easy way of handling it, but I don't. Hopefully, someone else will comment here and we'll both have an easier time of it!!

Stay strong, keep trying, that's all we can do!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mandz1984
    Mandz1984 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I kind of find summer harder than winter as well. When the bbq food comes out I am really really bad at saying No. There are so many more opportunities to have a glass of wine or a beer outside with friends, etc etc. So I do get what you're saying about winter v summer. I also think when you have been working hard at loosing weight for awhile you start to get tired of it all. At least I do. It's been nearly 7 months now for me, and while I was so motivated in the beginning it's all starting to slip now. I'm just not as strict or as bothered as I used to be. I think we all go through these slumps and just have to find the will to get back on track and continue on our journey. I'm sure none of what I just said is any help to you, but I do know how you feel. Hang in there, we will get there eventually. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Losershawn
    Losershawn Posts: 152
    Options
    The summer is killing me...I did great all spring, things seemed easy and now it seems everyday is a chore. Let me know if you find the magic answer....I'm going crazy here.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    hmmm for me it's becasue summers mean, drinks by the pool, BBQ, parties and birthdays! There is nothing I love more then to get home from work, sit outside with a nice glass of wine and enjoy the nice weatehr(I live in Canada the nice weather doesn't last long!)
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time in the summer time too, because of all the little camping trips we take, and the beach vacation, and the birthday parties, 4th of July BBQ, and drinking beer by the pool, it messes me up trying to exercise & eat right all summer.
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    hmmm for me it's becasue summers mean, drinks by the pool, BBQ, parties and birthdays! There is nothing I love more then to get home from work, sit outside with a nice glass of wine and enjoy the nice weatehr(I live in Canada the nice weather doesn't last long!)

HAHA I hear you I live in Canada too!!!! Manitoba we don't get long summers... once the mosquitoes come out that's it for me!!
  • ChantalD75
    Options
    thanks guys!! I am so happy that I am not alone on this one!!!! If someone out there has an answer for us keep me posted!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I was fearing summer for this very reason, and then I realized it is all about choices. I refuse to gain this summer and I still plan on having wine on my deck and a few extra bites here and there! You can have both. I changed my goal setting for the summer for less weight loss so I am allowed a few extra cals (your body will love this break). I MAKE myself go to the gym 5 days a week for an hour. And here is the kicker, I find activities that will burn so I can enjoy some extra fun cals. Hiking, kayaking, berry picking, walking along the road with my kids after dinner. Just a few extra steps a day and you can have the best of both worlds. park your car in the farthest spot, use the upstairs bathroom every time, never use an elevator, make more trips to the car to bring in groceries, dance and sing like a crazy person around the house, fold laundry standing up, watch TV and do a few crunches or whatever. When I do these "extra" things I allow myself to eat a LITTLE bit more but still healthy and I don't go crazy! I will let you know how this works for me. :happy:
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I find it harder to work out but easier to eat more healthly in the summer.

its one of the times of year it doesnt feel 'wrong' sitting down to a salad or something light.
  • syrcaid
    syrcaid Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I hate attempting to lose weight in the summer because summer is the time of the year I wish I was at goal--out there, wearing hot clothes and a swim suit...and knowing that I'm still a work in progress and may not reach my goals *this summer* is sort of depressing for me. It's easier for me in the cooler and winter months because I know I am working hard and planning to look better "next summer".

That being said, so far I haven't had any problems eating right. It's just sort of a downer not being able to wear the cuter clothing and swim suits right now.
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    , ..., dance and sing like a crazy person around the house, fold laundry standing up, watch TV and do a few crunches or whatever.

LOL so true, I was on hold with my cable company the other day for over an hour. My abs and legs got a great workout cuz I made myself sit on the floor and do crunches and leg lifts while I was waiting for them to fix my network!!
  • ChantalD75
    Options
    thanks guys!!! All great ideas!! just have to start off slow baby steps and get in the workouts someone like walking or swimming and keep the workout videos for winter months!!!