Sadness.....

Options
2»

Replies

• Andeezeno1girl
    Options
    Hi you,

Don't lose heart, It is most probably because you are working out quite a lot, which in turn makes your muscles weigh heavier as the more you pump the more your muscles fill up with blood and eventually, the muscles weigh more than they did because you are making them work, and become leaner :) hence putting on the weight :) Also are you drinking plenty of fluids, otherwise the body tends to retain water :) Tho' you said you were urinating plenty? which would suggest you are drinking, but make sure you drink plenty, especially whilst you are working out :)
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    A pound of muscle does not weigh more than a pound of fat.

Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Neither, they're the same.

"Common sense tells us a pound of muscle and a pound of fat have to weigh the same, but they do differ in density. This means if you look at five pounds of muscle and five pounds of fat side by side, the fat takes up more volume, or space, than the muscle."

Your body goes through fluctuations daily so be patient with yourself and focus on how your clothes fit, how many inches you've lost, etc. If you're strength training, you're converting fat to muscle anyway and may not notice a change in numbers on the scale.

Just one of the many resources online to prove this:
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/busting-the-muscle-weighs-more-than-fat-myth.aspx
  • Andeezeno1girl
    Options
    Hi you,

Don't lose heart, It is most probably because you are working out quite a lot, which in turn makes your muscles weigh heavier as the more you pump the more your muscles fill up with blood and eventually, the muscles weigh more than they did because you are making them work, and become leaner :) hence putting on the weight :) Also are you drinking plenty of fluids, otherwise the body tends to retain water :) Tho' you said you were urinating plenty? which would suggest you are drinking, but make sure you drink plenty, especially whilst you are working out :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, yeah...and there's no such thing as a hot water heater. Geez...
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    1800 is a minimum! You should never go under it ( by more than a few calories).

One week is really too soon to tell anything. You are looking for a change of 1-2 lbs. but water weight can easily add 4 lbs.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight. I was at 271 Sunday morning. Went to Buffalo Wild Wings Sunday night and had 12 boneless wings, teriyaki sauce. Weighed myself this morning, 276. I gained 5 POUNDS overnight. BTW, I was shocked when I logged my calories last night. I had no clue those wings were so full of sodium, fat, cholesterol and sugar. The amount of chicken is probably a large chicken breast, never dreamed the breading and sauce was that bad for you. I'll never do that again.
    Live and learn eh Paul...that's what has been so good for me on this site too...EYE OPENER!!!:noway:
  • craftykimmer
    craftykimmer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well, look at it this way. To gain a pound you have to consume 3600 calories without burning them. Did you really eat 10,800 calories without burning any? Probably not, LOL! So stay off the scale for the whole week unless you want to drive yourself crazy! I get on it every day, I just can't help it, and these kinds of fluctuations always occur. As long as you are being honest with yourself, and tracking and eating right, it will come off. Keep up the good work!
  • ellebeverland
    ellebeverland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    WHat time of the day did you weigh yourself? I notec if i weagh myself in the evening i weigh more than in the morning.. See how much salt the food your eating contains.. sodium can be sneaking in some foods you don't even know it's there
  • evilbanks
    evilbanks Posts: 166
    Options
    it could be anything really.. but most likely, from what you are saying, not fat or "real weight"... you could be retaining water or having extra stress or not sleeping enough... but don't fret over it :) ...[i need to take my own advice!!]... because I always remember "well, if i can gain a pound in a week, then I can lose a pound in a week.." lol and also remember that it takes an excess of 3500 calories to gain or lose one pound. Do you think you accidentally ate 10,500 calories over your goals this week? Probably not.. so it is probably just retaining water or something like that!

<
    good call
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The upside of water weight is going to be when you see 3-4 lbs. disappear overnight :noway:
    I got to subtract 3 this weekend. I go by the lower numbers on the scale, so I may go a week or two without seeing any loss.
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound! Muscle is more dense than fat and takes up less space. If you are building muscle the muscles will hang on to water while they heal which can cause the 3 pound gain. Make sure you are drinking enough water to flush your system and try to not focus on the scale as much as how your clothes are fitting.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!! If I read one more post that says you gain 3-4 lbs of muscle in a week I think my brain will melt. :explode: !!!
    Most men who are weight training wouldn't be able to put on 3 lbs of muscle in several weeks, so I doubt if our scale fluctuations could be caused by that. Yes, muscle is more dense, so you will be smaller when you replace fat with muscle and you may not see a great change in the scale. Weight training can cause water retention as the muscles heal, which can also cause the scale to go up. Gaining muscle is almost never the cause of the scale going up by several pounds in a short period of time

Sorry to hijack, but this just sets me over the edge.