P90X Nutrition Guide

Options
I didn't know if I should post this in Fitness and Exercise or here, but here goes nothing. Have any of you followed the nutrition guide while doing P90X? My fiance and I are starting our 3rd week of P90X and are just now doing the meal plan that came along with it (we were just eating 'healthy' before) but I am feeling sooo hungry! There's a lot of calories, but not a lot of carbs and currently I have a major headache and hunger pains. I don't know if this is just me getting over my carb addiction and it'll go away, or if I should eat more. Any advice?

Replies

• olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I have followed it all the way. The only modification I made was staying in the fat shredder phase for the first two phases and now I am in the second phase of the nutrition even though I am in the 3 phase of workouts.

How many calories are you eating?
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I do p90x too, and I don't follow the nutrition guide.... I'm sorry i just can't live on what is prescribed there.. I eat "healthy" , with the exception that I do have a protien shake after my p90x workout...
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Why can't you live on what's on there? Are you vegetarian or Vegan? If so, wait for P90X2 since it'll have both options in the meal guide!!!

Also, make sure to take full advantage of substitutions. if there's something you don't like or just don't want, sub it out.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I followed the plan when I did P90X last year and I still continue to do the second phase 40-40-20 ratios on my carbs-fats-proteins. I forget when it happens, but you should be close to the second phase where you get more carbs. Are you doing the shakes and bar? Those really helped me.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bump....
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Obey your appetite. Tony horton himself doesn't follow that plan. He's a vegetarian. Have some fruit and veggies they won't stick to you.
  • smallmall
    smallmall Posts: 6
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and would advise that if you are having hunger pains and always hungry you are definitely not eating enough calories, the low carbs in this first phase are not enough to keep your energy levels up. I would suggest following another plan and just stick to the myfitnesspal suggestions on how much to eat and you can't go wrong. Just make sure you enter all the exercise that you do so you can adjust your calories accordingly.

Sarah
    NASM Trainer
  • olag00
    olag00 Posts: 222
    Options
    I just realized your diary was open and it appears you have been eating too many carbs and not enough protein! Protein will help you feel more satisfied and less hungry.

I would definitely try and stick to the fat shredder ratios in order to get the best results and feel less hunger pains.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would say just tweak the percentages or try getting your carbs from veggies and fruits which will also have fiber to keep you fuller.
  • MeaggyTheGreaty
    MeaggyTheGreaty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well I wrote this post before I ate lunch and I DO feel better after eating, but we'll see how long that lasts.

I was eating about 1800 cals a day and burning 400-600 a day the past couple of weeks. I'm planning on eating 1800 while following the meal plan as well, but the ratios are just soo not what I'm used to.

Thanks for the advice about eating too many carbs, olag00, lol I'm well aware of how heavily I rely on carbs, I just didn't think it be THIS hard for me to do without them. Like this morning, I ate a much bigger breakfast (calorie and protein wise) than normal but I didn't feel satisfied. At all. Then I did the Chest and Back workout which kinda got my mind off of how hungry I felt, then I ate a protein bar, and about an hour later I felt really hungry again. I have some left-over asparagus soup from last night so I might try that if I get really hungry again.