oatmeal

Options
wiffe
wiffe Posts: 224 Member
I'm wanting to try oatmeal. HOWEVER I don't want mushy oatmeal like instant. I like oatmeal cookies. so anyone have help for me??? and of course I need to know how to cook it.

Replies

• getyupcowgirl
    Options
    Try Coaches Steel Cut Oatmeal. I add 1cup water and let boil then add 1/3 cup of the oatmeal and let simmer. I add 1 TBS of craisins and 1 TBS of chopped almonds and it is super good and keeps me full until lunch.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is generally mushy but I enjoy mine more when I add less water (to make it crunchier) and with some raisins in it it's great. i also love cinnamon in my oatmeal which helps regulate blood sugar.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is super easy! Here's a recipe off the quaker oats website...I've made banana oatmeal before, but I usually cut up my banana and cook it in with my oats. But this will give you an idea of what to do. :)

http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeId=628
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    You can also by the 'regular' oatmeal, (not the quick). It cooks up great and makes great granola base as well as in cookies.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I do either microwave or overnight oatmeal most mornings for breakfast!

Microwave- I use old-fashioned oats, so it's not instant. I will add equal parts oats and milk (I use almond or soy milk) and nuke for about 2.5 minutes. Then I like to add stuff like bananas, applesauce, sugar-free syrup, almonds, or peanut butter. The toppings can be the best part! :-)

With overnight oats, I usually will mix equal parts oats and milk, with a bit of applesauce or sugar for sweetening. Stir, leave in fridge overnight, and the oats will absorb the milk and "cook" themselves in the fridge.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is the easiest thing in the world to cook. I buy Quaker old fashioned oats and add 1cup of unsweetened almond milk and microwave for 2 minutes. I have different things I like to put in it each time. Go to graciouspantry.com and go to the bottom of the home page and click on oatmeal project. She has tons of different variations of oatmeal recipes.
  • deewildwoman
    deewildwoman Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. They are not processed like regular oats so they retain their texture so they are not as "mushy" as the instant or regular cooked oats. I like to put a tsp of ground flax seed in mine.
  • amyaddison79
    amyaddison79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup old fashioned Quaker Oats, 3/4 cup water, 1/2 cup mixed frozen fruit, 1 packet of Stevia in the Raw, and a little bit of salt. Then I put it in the microwave for 3 minutes. (Be sure to have a bowl big enough for it to "boil" up.) I don't think mine is too mushy. You can play around with the amount of water or milk you use.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats are chunkier and chewier, not mushy.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I just use tGreat Value 100% Whole Grain Old Fashioned oats. A serving size is 1/2 cup for 150 calories. I'll add 1 cup of water & one or two teaspoons of brown sugar ( you can use a substitute) to the bowl of oats and microwave for one minute. Stir everything & it's ready. : )

Sometimes I'll add chopped up pieces of apple, sliced bananas or whatever other fruit I have on hand to eat with it. You could also add some cinnamon.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to try oatmeal. HOWEVER I don't want mushy oatmeal like instant. I like oatmeal cookies. so anyone have help for me??? and of course I need to know how to cook it.

I don't cook it. I like to mix oatmeal with peanut butter (or almond butter) and a little maple syrup (just a spoonful). It's very chewy and gooey but also very nutritious and tastes like a cookie. I also use it in meatballs instead of bread crumbs.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately cooked oatmeal is usually mushy - I don't know that you can get it in a hard consistency like an oatmeal cookie without actually making it into a cookie. What about a healthy oatmeal bar? You could probably find a recipe online. But I've never tried steel cut, as mentioned by others. I do make my own though, not out of the package - which I found was a HUGE difference.

But yes, if you add fruit or nuts to it, it would change the consistency a bit. I myself rely on oatmeal in the morning to keep me full for less calories, and I love the texture.

By the way, I noticed your ticker - way to go on the pounds lost!!
  • JoeyC07
    JoeyC07 Posts: 42
    Options
    I do either microwave or overnight oatmeal most mornings for breakfast!

Microwave- I use old-fashioned oats, so it's not instant. I will add equal parts oats and milk (I use almond or soy milk) and nuke for about 2.5 minutes. Then I like to add stuff like bananas, applesauce, sugar-free syrup, almonds, or peanut butter. The toppings can be the best part! :-)

With overnight oats, I usually will mix equal parts oats and milk, with a bit of applesauce or sugar for sweetening. Stir, leave in fridge overnight, and the oats will absorb the milk and "cook" themselves in the fridge.

Bump...
    I make my oats the night before..Just add water and set in the fridge. This allows you to still be able to microve in the morning without having to use the less nutrious instant packs. After you warm it up add whatever you like..Bananas, granola, peanut butter, apple sauce, kashi, protein powder..frozen fruit is good to add as well just before heating it up..endless options. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try Coaches Steel Cut Oatmeal. I add 1cup water and let boil then add 1/3 cup of the oatmeal and let simmer. I add 1 TBS of craisins and 1 TBS of chopped almonds and it is super good and keeps me full until lunch.

YUM! I'm glad I found this. I actually order it online (not sold anywhere in my area). This has a wonderful texture. I will never go back to "baby food" again.

I cut the cooking time by pouring boiling water over them at night - I snap a tight lid on it. Cook time is 2:30 minutes.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get quick oats. They microwave fast with water, cream or milk or whatever liquid you want to use. I use water, fill it so the oats are covered (sometimes more) and then stir in some fruit and honey or agave. I looove cooking the oats with strawberries so the flavors are all mixed in... then add honey or agave nectar.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,712 Member
    Options
    I've found the trick to microwaving oatmeal is to cook it longer at a lower power, as they talk about in this link:
    http://heateatreview.com/2009/09/21/how-to-make-oatmeal-in-the-microwave/

I've also found that I like it better if I use less water. I use 3/4 of a cup of water for 1/2 cup of oats, add 1/8 teaspoon of salt, and I cook it for 6 minutes at 50% power. Then I add a teaspoon of cinnamon (yummy!) and a teaspoon or two of washed raw sugar.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I don't cook it. I like to mix oatmeal with peanut butter (or almond butter) and a little maple syrup (just a spoonful). It's very chewy and gooey but also very nutritious and tastes like a cookie. I also use it in meatballs instead of bread crumbs.

Glad I'm not the only one who eats it this way! I love uncooked oats mixed with peanut butter and a little bit of honey. :happy: