Kettlebell - calories burned

Options
Im going to get a kettlebell tomorrow because I hear great things. Im just a little concerned with how I will document this in my diary.

Male
6 ft
193.4 lbs
19 years old

If anyone has a formula, HRM, or just an understanding of how many calories I would burn, that would be much appreciated.
I think im going to get a 20 lb KB and try to fit in a 20 minute workout.

Thanks

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 520 cals in a kettlebells class at my gym. I'm 5ft 10", I weigh 177 pounds and I have a HRM. We weren't using kettlebells as such but 2 x 5kg weights and we were doing a lot of squatting type exercises and matwork.

xx
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Options
    Today I burned 520 cals in a kettlebells class at my gym. I'm 5ft 10", I weigh 177 pounds and I have a HRM. We weren't using kettlebells as such but 2 x 5kg weights and we were doing a lot of squatting type exercises and matwork.

xx

Oops I forgot to say that the class lasted 45 mins!

xx
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you do it right, they say you can burn UP TO 1000 calories in 60 minutes. It depend on how in shape you are, how intense you're working, etc. Get a HRM and try it out yourself.
  • RosieGB33nz
    RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
    Options
    What did yo hear about kettlebells that makes you interested? I looked at them at the sports shop and was intrigued but what do they do?
  • SMK715
    SMK715 Posts: 108
    Options
    ^^ everyone I have asked says they are great and I've seen some before and after pictures of people who were on kettlebell regimens. And like someone commented earlier, I've read that you can burn 1000 calories per hour if you know what you're doing. The exercises are also very versatile; its cardio and strength combined and it incorporates like every muscle group.
  • KLMcConnell
    Options
    I've done some research on this as I started using kettlebells. You can expect to burn 15-20 calories per minute. I do Bob Harper's Kettlebell basics-Body Shred Workout. Kettlebells gives you great strength training mixed with cardio.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 117 lbs and I do Ryan Shanahan's Kettle Worx videos. The workouts are 20 minutes long, non-stop. My HRM said I burned 130 calories in 20 minutes, so that's about 390 an hour for me. Much lower than the estimated 15-20 calories per minute. I definitely did it exactly as directed and it was an amazing workout! I think I burn less because I'm small. But, my boyfriend is the same height and weight as you and he started with 25, but had to drop to a 15 halfway through. 20 lbs and up is considered advanced for a kettlebell workout. If you're just starting out you may want to buy a 15 just as a backup....especially if you plan on working for more than a 20 minute session.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", 117 lbs and I do Ryan Shanahan's Kettle Worx videos. The workouts are 20 minutes long, non-stop. My HRM said I burned 130 calories in 20 minutes, so that's about 390 an hour for me. Much lower than the estimated 15-20 calories per minute. I definitely did it exactly as directed and it was an amazing workout! I think I burn less because I'm small. But, my boyfriend is the same height and weight as you and he started with 25, but had to drop to a 15 halfway through. 20 lbs and up is considered advanced for a kettlebell workout. If you're just starting out you may want to buy a 15 just as a backup....especially if you plan on working for more than a 20 minute session.

Someone your size is would find it virtually impossible to burn 15-20 calories per minute under any circumstances.

The ultra high calorie claims for kettlebells come from one particular source IIRC--a study published by John Porcari of UW LaCrosse. I have not seen the study or the actual data, but I am a little skeptical, based on other things I have read.

It may be possible to burn 15-20 cals/min for brief bursts or intervals, but I don't think it can be sustained. The research I have read on sustained kettlebell swings (i.e. 20 min continuously) showed an avg effort of 62% of VO2 max. That means that the caloric expenditure would be OK, but nothing more than could be achieved easily by any other form of aerobic exercise.

The other interesting thing was that HR averaged 85% of max. Normally that percentage of max HR is associated with an effort of about 70% VO2 max, so if you are using an HRM, the calories expended is probably overestimated by an additional 5%-10% over the usual standard of error.

Kettlebells still can be a great workout--none of this is in any way meant to disparage that activity. I would just recommend caution about any caloric expenditure claims.
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Options
    Yeah I think 15-20 cals a minute is nonsense!xx
  • lauz45
    lauz45 Posts: 243
    Options
    Er...I think i've been overestimating my calorie burn then! However I LOVE my new kettlebell. Honestly, i'm not an exercise fan but it feels brilliant and I can feel it in muscles that no other exercise touches (inner thigh fat be gone!). I've definately found my exercise of choice :) There's loads of great resources on the net for kettlebell exercises. I'm 5'3, 145lbs and have a 7.5kg kettlebell, it's just right, but I could go to a heavier one for kettlebell swings, and could do with a lighter one for exercises where you invert the kettlebell in one hand, my 5" wrists can't handle it! Hopefully i'll be able to post the results one day. Need to get a HRM though or i'll be overeating those exercise calories! I'm sure it burns a decent amount in 20 minutes though, I have to have a towel nearby for my forehead lol.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Er...I think i've been overestimating my calorie burn then! However I LOVE my new kettlebell. Honestly, i'm not an exercise fan but it feels brilliant and I can feel it in muscles that no other exercise touches (inner thigh fat be gone!). I've definately found my exercise of choice :) There's loads of great resources on the net for kettlebell exercises. I'm 5'3, 145lbs and have a 7.5kg kettlebell, it's just right, but I could go to a heavier one for kettlebell swings, and could do with a lighter one for exercises where you invert the kettlebell in one hand, my 5" wrists can't handle it! Hopefully i'll be able to post the results one day. Need to get a HRM though or i'll be overeating those exercise calories! I'm sure it burns a decent amount in 20 minutes though, I have to have a towel nearby for my forehead lol.

It's definitely a good burn and a great workout! Even though I only burn 130 calories--that's being done in only 20 minutes! Definitely buy a HRM to keep your calories accurate (15-20/minute is WAY off) but in the meantime, for someone your height and size, you may want to log around 150 calories burned per 20 minute session just to be safe :-)
  • borys12
    borys12 Posts: 98
    Options
    I've taken the test with 20kg kettlebell , swings - intervals 40 sec swing, 20 sec rest, for 5 minutes using HRM.
    So ... it kills ! Still can't catch breath :) 60 calories burnt, heart rate about 150 during swings.

It was very hard, but I want to reach 20 minutes. It's harder than running, but ... really feel it.

Hope it helps.
  • Dawnsoskinny
    Options
    Im 5' 3 female 135. I have researched kettlebells for about 6 months and have been attending a kettlebell gym for 6 months. Studies show that you burn 400 calories in 20 min doing swings and lifts. There are articles on livestrong.com and webmd.com. I have noticed an all over change. 33 years old and in excellent condition due to kettlebell training.
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    Options
    What if you count by the number of reps/sets you do rather than time spent? How would you calculate that? Today I did 3 sets of 15 kettlebell squats/swings (squat and then swing it above your head) with about a 20 second rest in between. It was a great workout. I'm 5'8 and 146 lbs.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 5 - 10 cal per minute doing kettlebells. That includes short rests between sets. The higher burn comes from doing more Tabata style workouts. The lower burn is more strength building workout. I usually average around 7 cal per minute for my normal workouts (they include things like different types of swings, cleans, snatches, pushups, squats, turkish getups, etc). I use a 25lb kettlebell, and sometimes 2 25lb kettlebells. Need to get a 35 lb soon!

I burn more calories per minute running, but it is not all about the burn. I am seeing great results in muscle definition and strength!
  • lellel1
    lellel1 Posts: 1
    Options
    i am 4ft 7, weight 60kg. i am disabled but try what i can.
    i do 5kg weights times 30 how many calories will i burn?
    i do need to know the same but with other machines, do i have to write this for each machine i use? thx
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I log my kettlebells as circuit training- when I do them withmy trainer she pushes me really hard with little rest.
  • darrenboyle1276
    Options
    I think people shouldnt be too worried about calories burned, just exercise hard, kettlebells have a great effect to keep burning fat all day after working out
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I think people shouldnt be too worried about calories burned, just exercise hard, kettlebells have a great effect to keep burning fat all day after working out

No more than any other exercise done at the same intensity.