Just joined - ? about calories remaining

Options
Hi everyone - I am excited to start using MFP. I have been doing weight watchers and although it is a great program I want to start calorie counting for awhile and see how it goes.

I have a question regarding "calories remaining." My calorie target is 1200 with daily exercise. Now that I have entered food and my exercise for today my calories increase. I'm not suppose to eat these calories am I. I thought that as I added food it would subtract from my 1200. Thanks in advance for helping.

Replies

• aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep my net calories (from the homepage) no lower than 1200, which means you may need to eat some of your calories back. Your body needs fuel. Good Luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The 1200 MFP gives you DOES NOT include exercise. They figure in your activity level with regards to your daily activity and give you a deficit to lose weight. Then when you exercise you earn extra calories that you should eat. You need to eat them so as not to go below a certain calorie range which would be unhealthy and can hinder your progress. Hope that helps.:)
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    The 1200 MFP gives you DOES NOT include exercise. They figure in your activity level with regards to your daily activity and give you a deficit to lose weight. Then when you exercise you earn extra calories that you should eat. You need to eat them so as not to go below a certain calorie range which would be unhealthy and can hinder your progress. Hope that helps.:)

Just to be clear..say you have 1200 calories and you exercise and burn 300..If you dont eat those 300 back you will in reality have only consumed 900..and thats just not enough fuel for your body.
  • dancam1
    dancam1 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: May help to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics