Surprised by what I ate last night!!!

Options
I went to Buffalo Wild Wings last night to eat with some friends. I hadn't been there in several years, or at least since I've been working on losing weight. I was shocked when I logged my calories when I got home last night. My 12 wings (boneless, half teriyaki half garlic parmesan) came out to 1284 calories, 84 g fat, 26 g saturated fat, 262 mg cholesterol and a whopping 3976 mg sodium. I couldn't believe you could pack that much crap into two small cardboard trays. Good thing I only had water to drink. Anybody else have any eating out horror stories like that? This will NEVER happen to me again. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!

Replies

• ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look at that sodium! *EEK*
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I just went to Cracker Barrel. Her meal used up her entire day's calories. Mine used less than 300 cals. It really depends on what you eat. I used my I-phone app to pick my foods.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I know, I had Porky Pig fingers this morning. Drank about a gallon of water so far today.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love hot wings but don't eat them anymore.
  • Mybetterme
    Mybetterme Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    yeah chips and salsa is 400 calories for 25 chips. and the biscuit and butter at lucilles is 600 calories.
  • dryvonnesmith
    dryvonnesmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was out of town this weekend and we needed to find a place to eat at 9:30 pm. Buffalo Wings was the only thing we could find. I did discover that they had grilled chicken pieces that were without bbq and other additives. Hence, I was able to stay on program. I have learned to question the server about the availability of grilled foods. We all live and learn. MFP on my handheld device has saved me many times. I too am horrified at the number of calories and fat grams at the restaurants. As you so adequately said, :BEWARE" !!!!! when out eating.
  • dryvonnesmith
    dryvonnesmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was out of town this weekend and we needed to find a place to eat at 9:30 pm. Buffalo Wings was the only thing we could find. I did discover that they had grilled chicken pieces that were without bbq and other additives. Hence, I was able to stay on program. I have learned to question the server about the availability of grilled foods. We all live and learn. MFP on my handheld device has saved me many times. I too am horrified at the number of calories and fat grams at the restaurants. As you so adequately said, :BEWARE" !!!!! when out eating.
  • megrrt
    megrrt Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love applebees boneless wings with ranch..I about fell off my chair when I looked at the calories! It's a change but a well needed change.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    yes, eating out is very caloric and high in sodium. That is why before I go, I see what I find out on line 1st to prepare better. Even healthy stuff eaten out is higher in sodium than you preparing it yourself at home. perfect example is Subway and Panda Express.
  • klj7496
    klj7496 Posts: 2
    Options
    A good way to look at it is.....sometimes you have to indulge so that you don't binge later on. MYFITNESSPAL is a great reality checker and it will put you back on track. Hope you enjoyed yourself!
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    A good way to look at it is.....sometimes you have to indulge so that you don't binge later on. MYFITNESSPAL is a great reality checker and it will put you back on track. Hope you enjoyed yourself!
    Yep, they were good and I got alot of compliments on my weight loss so far. I'm sure they are wondering how the heck is he doing it. Ignorance is bliss (at least on their part). Like I said, I will never be caught off guard again. Supposedly the original wings with the bone are a better choice than the breaded boneless wings. Live and learn.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Yep, they were good and I got alot of compliments on my weight loss so far. I'm sure they are wondering how the heck is he doing it. Ignorance is bliss (at least on their part). Like I said, I will never be caught off guard again. Supposedly the original wings with the bone are a better choice than the breaded boneless wings. Live and learn.

Living and learning is what it is all about. :wink:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    First of all who the heck eats 12 of any chicken piece in one setting? Secondly any piece be it wing, leg or thigh is in the 130-200 calorie per piece range depending on size. Third they don't hire people to debone chicken wings. Your boneless wings were made of chicken, What part who knows. Even if you made them from fresh chicken at home your looking at 1200 calories or more for 12 real chicken wings. I personally would eat 3-4 max knowing thats 300-400 calories before veggies and other meal items. So their wings weren't any higher in calories and sodium then if you made them at home and used a bottle of wing sauce. Just saying.
  • garrettnicole92
    Options
    I had the same things happen to me last weekend - I ate at Zaxbys. I thought I had made a healthy choice. Turns out my meal alone had 1200 calories in it. I felt so bad, haha. One bad day won't undo everything though. You didn't gain it in a day!
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options
    BWW has "naked" chicken tenders! And now they have dry rubs, so you could always swap those in place of the sauce. Sure, the dry rubs probably have a lot of sodium, but you'd be saving on overall calories.
  • pauljsolie
    Options
    First of all who the heck eats 12 of any chicken piece in one setting? Secondly any piece be it wing, leg or thigh is in the 130-200 calorie per piece range depending on size. Third they don't hire people to debone chicken wings. Your boneless wings were made of chicken, What part who knows. Even if you made them from fresh chicken at home your looking at 1200 calories or more for 12 real chicken wings. I personally would eat 3-4 max knowing thats 300-400 calories before veggies and other meal items. So their wings weren't any higher in calories and sodium then if you made them at home and used a bottle of wing sauce. Just saying.

Thanks for your concern, I already know I f*****d up.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I went to BWW this past Thursday (boneless wing night) and consumed over 1900 calories. It was a reward meal for kicking serious butt in my 10K last week so it was a planned overindulgence. Of course I only went over by 150 calories for the day and was well under my calorie goals for the week and still managed to lose 2 pounds.
  • kasiluna
    kasiluna Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    YES!! LOVE the naked tenders and a hot sauce (instead of creamy) MUST burn calories....right? ;)
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Nothing like being completely unsupportive.

To the OP: everyone has those moments. Learning from those oops are the ways we make progress.
  • bustertriscuit
    bustertriscuit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't eat wings, but I do know they're kind of small and it would be REALLY easy to eat 12 of them especially when out having a good time.
    3 or 4 wings is pretty unrealistic.
    I am pretty sure the OP knows what's up.