Hummus Ideas???

Options
westbrja
westbrja Posts: 111 Member
Hello Everyone,

I just found out today that I really like garlic flavored hummus. I had it with a small snack sized bag of pretzels but after eating them and logging it into my journal I soon realized they didn't come without a hefty dent in my carb and calorie budget. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do with hummus? I've heard of people using it in wraps. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• paulasuscas01
    paulasuscas01 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hummus is quite delicious :) I've used it in place of mayo on sandwiches with spinach and turkey. Yum! :smile:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    As well as wraps - use on any savoury sandwich instead of butter or other spread. Eat with celery and carrot sticks, wholemeal pita bread, wholegrain corn thins.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Hummus!!! I make it myself in a magic bullet blender.. YUM. I do every thing from black beans to pinto beans.. lots of garlic :D

You can use hummus on anything! I mainly use it as a dip for veggies or a spread on a veggie sandwich.. yum yum!
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've used it as a sandwhich spread, with carrots (and other veggies), with veggie chips, and with Stacy's pita chips - the possiblities are endless, just depends on your personal taste! :)
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I like it with hard boiled egg whites, like a deviled egg but with hummus for the filling
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love hummus too, I buy the Cedar brand, which is a local brand here in New England, I love it with veggies, and also on toast, or even toasted corn tortillas broken up to look like chips.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Use it instead of mayo on sammies and wraps :) I tried it yesterday for the first time at costco on a thin bagel it was yummy (i think it was hummus with pine nuts)
  • wingertonium
    Options
    I make a delicious hummus sandwhich (if you like all the ingredients)
    Take the hummus and spread it like peanut butter on a low carb wrap. Then take thin sliced cumber, onion, tomtato and avacado stuff in the wrap and roll it. You can also add cheese or meat, but it really is best with just the veggies. Also use cucumber and celery instead of chips/breads etc. You can also make your own hummus with less oil/tahini, which will cut the calorie count. Use just the chick peas, lemon, juice, garlic and salt. and use the oil only as a binder.
    Hope this helps!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and carrots and bell peppers as a snack. My favorite is guacamole hummus.
  • westbrja
    Options
    I love Hummus!!! I make it myself in a magic bullet blender.. YUM. I do every thing from black beans to pinto beans.. lots of garlic :D

You can use hummus on anything! I mainly use it as a dip for veggies or a spread on a veggie sandwich.. yum yum!

I didn't know it was made out of different things? The only kind I've tried was whatever brand is on the cafeteria bar at the hospital I work at lol.
  • westbrja
    Options
    I make a delicious hummus sandwhich (if you like all the ingredients)
    Take the hummus and spread it like peanut butter on a low carb wrap. Then take thin sliced cumber, onion, tomtato and avacado stuff in the wrap and roll it. You can also add cheese or meat, but it really is best with just the veggies. Also use cucumber and celery instead of chips/breads etc. You can also make your own hummus with less oil/tahini, which will cut the calorie count. Use just the chick peas, lemon, juice, garlic and salt. and use the oil only as a binder.
    Hope this helps!

Yummy!!!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    Its delicious, and you can make your own really easy.

I just put a rinsed can (or I make my own beans and use about 2 cups) of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), garlic, 2 TBSP EVOO, juice from half lemon, few dashes of cummin, lots of pepper, and mix it up in a food processor a few times. I save some of the juice from the beans or unflavored yogurt if it needs to be thinner or creamier, but its usually good. Then I add whatever flavor I want...olives, jalapenos, roasted red peppers, tobasco, sun dried tomatoes...whatever you would like.

Its so delicious!!

I use it on wraps, sandwiches, with crackers, dip popcorn in it, mix it with tuna instead of mayo, veggies such as corrots, peas, cucs, on baked potatoes, even works as dressing for a salad!!...it is my fav food right now!!!!
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I love hummus and carrots and bell peppers as a snack. My favorite is guacamole hummus.

Guacamole hummus...I may be in heaven! Where can I get that recipe!!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i eat it just about everyday in wraps or with veggies...i am very carb sensitive and have to stay away from bread and crackers. the la tortilla factory have high fiber low carb tortilla that have only 50 cals...so you can bake those with a brush of olive oil and make smart chips....they are delish!
  • tinacj
    tinacj Posts: 1
    Options
    I water it down and use it as salad dressing sometimes.
  • Rmarshall1184
    Rmarshall1184 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I smear it on rice cakes and baby carrots. Yes, rice cakes! I know its such a cliche diet food, but its only 7 g carbs and good excuse to have hummus. Thats only like 15 g of carbs all together with th hummus.

I too recently found I like garlice hummus. My 6 year old picked it out, and I made a face. Now the whole family is hooked! lol
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    sandwiches, wraps, dip it with carrots or pita chips or tortilla or any kind of bread really.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It makes a great lunch: stuff it in a pita pocket with some greens, bean sprouts, and cucumber slices.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I just found out today that I really like garlic flavored hummus.

Yummy...that's my favorite as well.
  • westbrja
    Options
    Wow so many yummy suggestions! I'm going to be adding some ingredients to my shopping list.