does sugar matter?

Options
Ive been going over my sugar by alot lately, everything else is okay, does it affect me alot?

Replies

• PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sugar. MFP doesn't diferentiate between natural sugars and processed sugar. So if a lot of your sugar is coming from fruits, it's okay. But if it's coming from processed food, it's not good at ALL.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    yes! sugar is #1 diet killer keep it in the 35gr or less range if you want to lose weight.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Here's a little info to get you started. Hope it helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837

In short: Yes, sugar matters.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    double post
  • hunterzmomma
    hunterzmomma Posts: 121
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS over on my sugar and it hasn't been affecting my weight loss at all... 1 lb a week for the past month! YUM sugar!!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    Depends on what kind of sugar. MFP doesn't diferentiate between natural sugars and processed sugar. So if a lot of your sugar is coming from fruits, it's okay. But if it's coming from processed food, it's not good at ALL.

That's not totally true. The body responds to sugars, regardless of source, in specific ways. May want to look into it a bit. :) [Fructose is the sugar you get from fruits.]
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Yes sugar matters... even sugar from fruit. I'm not suggesting that you don't eat fruit but you should stay to 2-3 servings a day. And try and stay away from refined sugar altogether!!
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with this also. I am ALWAYS over on sugar. I eat a lot of fruit (berries & melon lately), and it always puts me over.
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    sugar does not matter to weight loss. It matters more to health.
    Fruit in sugars = good.
    If your getting usgar hits from other sources i'd evaluate your diet.
    good luck
  • Prettiejesse
    Options
    Okay im gonna try to eat less sugar and cut bad sugar altogether
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    yes! sugar is #1 diet killer keep it in the 35gr or less range if you want to lose weight.

Agreed!!!
  • McKayMachina
    Options
    sugar does not matter to weight loss. It matters more to health.
    Fruit in sugars = good.
    If your getting usgar hits from other sources i'd evaluate your diet.
    good luck

Wrong.
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    yes sugar matters a lot.. at least in my opinion. i was not worrying about sugar at first and no it did not prevent the number on the scale to drop butttt sometimes inches matter more than the scale (at least i think so).

a couple months ago i started watching my sugar more and i have been told by friends and family that my stomach looks a lot flatter :))

i have recently looked up why that would be. fat that is metabolised from sugar you intake in stored in the midsection.. so less sugar = less belly fat.

sugar is in a lot of things that you would think.. try to watch your sugar intake for a few days and see how you feel :))

good luck!!
  • kaittx13
    kaittx13 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    people keep talking about basically bad sugar (a brownie) vs. good sugar (fruit)... sugar is sugar it is all metabolised the same.. the body doesnt know the difference
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    It might. Try to stay away from fake sugars. Aspartame (yogurt), high fructose corn syrup (everything from soda to bread to candy to really everything that's got preservatives), corn syrup (same thing, just a different name), etc. Also, you should be able to stay within about 60-70g of sugar per day if you're eating natural foods... if you go over a bit 'cause of something natural like fruit or veggies, don't worry about it. Just try to get your sugars from natural sources and make sure it doesn't say high fructose corn syrup and obviously the first ingredient isn't sugar! lol
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    So do you guys not eat fruit that think natural sugars are to much... I buy those oxygen magazines and they always have two to 3 servings in them of fruit they do meal plans.... There sugar inatke is usually 60 grams most of it is fruits...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Didn't feel like reading through all the posts lol. Your body burns the sugars you consumed first then calories. So staying away is essential for a good diet. That doesn't mean totally cut out, low fat graham crackers with bananas or any fruit really is a good snack if your craving sweets.
    Also, and this is where I'm bad, stay away from soda at all costs. It makes you crave sweet things. Good luck and add me if you'd like =]
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    Stay away form fake sugars. If you must eat sugar, go for agave nectar, or even beet sugar. I don't eat enough in a day, and try to avoid sugar. But don't totally cut them out.If you're not diabetic, be sure you're having pure cane sugar, or beet sugar or agave.