Translating the names of certain foods

Options
Hi everybody,
I am having a little trouble finding some things on the food database (they may not be there at all) I might be using the wrong name for these (I only know what they call them in Costa Rica) if there are any latinos out there that know the english names I would be grateful for some help!
The veggies and fruits are:
-Pejiballes (they are small orange/green balls that grom on a certain type of palm tree, there seed has a tiny, very hard coconut in the middle. These things are killer with a little bit of mayonnaise)
-Ñampi (similar to potato only purple-ish)
-Tacaco (small and green)
-Granadilla (its a fruit that is kind of hollow and has dozens of little seeds)
-Cas (Very similar to a Guayaba only its sour-ish)
-Maracuya (Used mostly for juice and sauces)
-Zapote (bright orange fruit with a tough beige-brown skin. In colonial times people women use the inside of the big shiny seeds to dye their hair a rich brown color)

Thank you sooooooo much for any help you can give me!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• ceedee22ed
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    I am having a little trouble finding some things on the food database (they may not be there at all) I might be using the wrong name for these (I only know what they call them in Costa Rica) if there are any latinos out there that know the english names I would be grateful for some help!
    -Pejiballes (they are small orange/green balls that grom on a certain type of palm tree, there seed has a tiny, very hard coconut in the middle. These things are killer with a little bit of mayonnaise)
    -Zapote (bright orange fruit with a tough beige-brown skin. In colonial times people women use the inside of the big shiny seeds to dye their hair a rich brown color)

Thank you sooooooo much for any help you can give me!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,

-Ñampi (similar to potato only purple-ish) Maybe a red potatoe?

The rest, have you tried Googling the nutrition facts for?
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    yeah, only a few things came up but not much info...some things, like the pejiballes, have different names in several countries. I remember hearing a panamanian that stayed with us for some time refer to them as Pifas or something like that...so these might just be the costarrican names. ill keep trying though, thanx
  • ThisIsJeffHere
    Options
    Maracuya is a passion fruit, verdad?
  • ceedee22ed
    Options
    Hmm...not sure, havent seen passion fruit before or tried it either...another one for google.:laugh: Thanx :flowerforyou:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I'm from Florida - to my knowledge

Pejiballes -

this isn't something we eat - I know what they are - it's not something you can buy in the markets here