Ladies Only! TOM and weight loss

Options
Hi girls! This is kind of personal but I just wanted to ask this question just in general. Please only respond if you feel comfortable. I was wondering how TOM (Time of Month) affects you all in your weight loss. Do you lose less the week before, the week of, bloating, etc?
My cycles are just now return since I had my daughter almost a year ago. We've slowed down breastfeeding and now I'm having periods again. I just wondered what to expect. I had a pretty good loss last week but wondered if it may have been better. Thanks!

Replies

• candis30
    candis30 Posts: 17
    Options
    You do lose less the week before. I've even lost weight on my cycle. I guess it just depends on the person.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I am on BCP which I wish I wasn't but just had a baby 6 months ago and ya dont want another that quick!! The 3 wks before my period I am bloated and hungry and the scale is not my friend.....but once I hit my "sugar" pills I feel skinny, am not hungry and the scale goes down! This is very odd since usually when u have ur period u feel all the symptoms I feel 3 wks before.....I know its all thos unnatural hormones but unfortunately my insurance wont pay for an IUD......what can ya do! Dang TOM always causing problems! :sad:
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't notice any difference during TOM. But after I stopped breast feeding I didn't lose as much weight.
  • westbrja
    westbrja Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am on BCP which I wish I wasn't but just had a baby 6 months ago and ya dont want another that quick!! The 3 wks before my period I am bloated and hungry and the scale is not my friend.....but once I hit my "sugar" pills I feel skinny, am not hungry and the scale goes down! This is very odd since usually when u have ur period u feel all the symptoms I feel 3 wks before.....I know its all thos unnatural hormones but unfortunately my insurance wont pay for an IUD......what can ya do! Dang TOM always causing problems! :sad:

Yeah, I've always had major PMS symptoms and find myself eating way too much for the week before. I would always dread TOM because I swear I would gain 5 pounds a month :grumble: . This time wasn't so bad but like I said it's my first cycle since I had my dtr. My insurance will cover a portion of the IUD but I would still have a $120 co-pay...ouch!
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Dang, this is reminding me that my period needs to start already. Its approaching 70 days. Hopefully its coming soon, and that's why I'm not losing any weight at all!

But yes, my weight loss shows after a couple days that I'm on it.
  • westbrja
    Options
    I don't notice any difference during TOM. But after I stopped breast feeding I didn't lose as much weight.

We're down to nursing about twice a day. I no longer pump at work and we just moved her to her crib out of our bed which means we lost those night feeds and she's sleeping thru the night. Maybe I'll start pumping again just to get those extra calories burning :laugh:
  • westbrja
    Options
    Dang, this is reminding me that my period needs to start already. Its approaching 70 days. Hopefully its coming soon, and that's why I'm not losing any weight at all!

But yes, my weight loss shows after a couple days that I'm on it.

Oh dear!!! I sure hope it's on it's way for your sake if you're not wanting to be preggo lol.
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get so bloated and a lot of times gain. A couple of months ago I started using Nuva Ring and it has regulated me a lot. I still had a small weight loss the week before but the bloating was minimal and I wasn't too uncomfortable to exercise like I usually am. this week, after TOM was over I had a two pound weight loss.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Usually right before my period, I have a "pre-period drop" on the scale-- often of a couple pounds. It usually comes back when I start, but it can certainly be a morale booster! I feel "leaner", it's all good. My sister is the same way.. but almost all my friends go up before their periods. Guess we're the lucky ones! During my period though, I'm always up a bit too.. and that usually goes away too. Some times, it's just luck of the draw.
    I have also found that when I'm more active and taking better care of myself, my period is significantly shorter, and less substantial. My second child is almost 2, and my periods have been BRUTAL ( well, by my standards) since she was born. WIth my son, they stayed away for almost a year after he was born ( nursed for a year) . With Emma, you can imagine my dismay when they returned after 2 short months (also nursed for a year!). ! My body has been having the "post baby" period for the last year, with CRAZY hormone surges, sheer exhaustion, cravings and enough flow that I thought something was wrong a few times. Interestingly enough, once I started getting active and taking better care of myself, it's gone to 2/3 days instead of 6/7, and there's hardly any volume there in comparison. It's certainly incentive to keep active!! I think because I'm learning to listen to my body better, I can head off the cravings, and rejuvenate myself with a walk or something to help me deal too.
  • westbrja
    Options
    Usually right before my period, I have a "pre-period drop" on the scale-- often of a couple pounds. It usually comes back when I start, but it can certainly be a morale booster! I feel "leaner", it's all good. My sister is the same way.. but almost all my friends go up before their periods. Guess we're the lucky ones! During my period though, I'm always up a bit too.. and that usually goes away too. Some times, it's just luck of the draw.
    I have also found that when I'm more active and taking better care of myself, my period is significantly shorter, and less substantial. My second child is almost 2, and my periods have been BRUTAL ( well, by my standards) since she was born. WIth my son, they stayed away for almost a year after he was born ( nursed for a year) . With Emma, you can imagine my dismay when they returned after 2 short months (also nursed for a year!). ! My body has been having the "post baby" period for the last year, with CRAZY hormone surges, sheer exhaustion, cravings and enough flow that I thought something was wrong a few times. Interestingly enough, once I started getting active and taking better care of myself, it's gone to 2/3 days instead of 6/7, and there's hardly any volume there in comparison. It's certainly incentive to keep active!! I think because I'm learning to listen to my body better, I can head off the cravings, and rejuvenate myself with a walk or something to help me deal too.

Wow we're a lot alike. My cycle this round after baby #3 has been horrendous. I can only hope mine will lighten and shorten. Thanks for replying!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I gain any where between 2-4 lbs. the week prior to TOM because my appetite is out of control and I'm guessing water retention (feel bloated). I lose it all again plus an additional 1-2 lbs. within 10 days.