Japanese kcal vs American Cal?

tameko2
tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
edited September 29 in Food and Nutrition
So, technically 1 kcal = 1 Cal.

BUT. My soba noodles package has a japanese label that says 100 grams is 350 kcal and the english label slapped on top of it says that 90 grams (a much more logical portion size by the way as each bundle of noodles in the package is 90grams not 100) is 140 Calories.

What the heck?

Replies

• W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    "So, technically 1 kcal = 1 Cal. " Don't think so => 1kj (kilojoule) = 1kcal 1 cal = roughly 1/4 kcal / kj

or 1 kj/kcal = 0.24 (roughly) cal
  • tameko2
    according to wikipedia, 1 kcal is 4.2 kilojoules but 1kcal is 1 Cal (which is 1000 calories which no one uses for food measuring).

So still inexplicable unless I misunderstood you.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    ahh yup soz - you are right - I got the 2 confused - I remember now that my HRM manual says kcal & cal can be used interchangeably. So as to the label - one of them has to be wrong ??? :O
  • mgmama
    mgmama Posts: 6
    Still confused. So are they the same or not? Everything here in Korea uses kcals, and I though they were the same!
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Yeah a Cal is a kilocalorie which is a kcal.
    Joules are a different unit as the other person said.
    Your label problem is odd though...
  • tameko2
    I went with the one that was higher - but the whole calorie thing in Japan might just be wacky. They list the "based on a daily diet of xx" as 2200 calories a day compared to the US one that's based on 2000.

And Japanese people are smaller than the 'average' american -- just plain SHORTER.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    You sure the Japanese label says 100 and not 170 or 180?
This discussion has been closed.