Blaahh Failure!

Options
Hey everyone
Ive been saying that im gonna go back on my diet and start going to the gym but i still havent started!

i feel like i have no motivation and having other ppl in my life that eat wrong doesnt help either.

my schedule is kinda tough seeing as to i work graveyard shift so my eating schedule is off cause i sleep off and on throughout the day,

I was going to a personal trainer for 2 months and lost 12 pounds but have started to gain it back.

pound wise ive only gained 2 lbs but in inches... it seems like ive added alot more.

I can see the fat start coming back and im at a low point right now.

I just need real motivation to eat right and start working out.

I need a workout partner. thats what i need.

any suggestions?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You need to work on eating first and worry about the exercise second. Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Start slowly and don't get discouraged because you can't do everything at once. Drink more water throughout the day. Cut out one sugary drink and replace it with a glass of water. Eat a salad instead of a burger. It's small changes like that which start to add up. Don't keep putting off losing weight because you can't do everything at once.

Start walking 30 minutes a day and find a personal trainer or a workout buddy when you have time.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I agree, focus on eating properly for you and don't worry about the fact that others don't. Also focusing more on changing your eating habits in general is much more effective than any diet will ever be. A diet is temporary. To be successful in the long term you need a lifestyle change, something you can maintain without feeling deprived.
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You only fail when you quit trying. Somebody here told me that and they had a point. You haven't given up, and I don't think you're a quitter, so dust yourself off, be kind to yourself, and get back to moving forward. You can do it if you want to!
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I agree, focus on eating properly for you and don't worry about the fact that others don't. Also focusing more on changing your eating habits in general is much more effective than any diet will ever be. A diet is temporary. To be successful in the long term you need a lifestyle change, something you can maintain without feeling deprived.
    Totally a LIFE STYLE CHANGE!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    As stated, focus on what you eat first, it is far more important. You can exercise a bunch, and not be able to out exercise bad eating.

The other thing that stood out to me about your post is the number of excuses you have come up with. Realize you can always come up with reasons not to do this. The key is to come up with reasons why you have to do this, then keep your eyes focused on that. All the excuses do is make you focus on how hard it seems. Instead you need to focus on how worthwhile it is. I find that usually when people value something, they will work for in happily even when it is difficult. What are the reasons you would value getting healthy? Focus on those more and more.
  • mama4bee
    mama4bee Posts: 5
    Options
    Totally agree with the diet comments! Eating healthy can be a challenge at first. Maybe, instead of a drastic change, add a fruit or veggie to every meal. I like salads for lunch and dinner with grilled meat on them. Filling but, not fattening. Also, a walking buddy is not the same as a personal trainer, but can be a great way to burn calories. See if any of your friends want to start walking, you would be surprised at how many want to work out, but don't know anyone to walk with! Our group started with 2 and is up to 5!
    Good luck and keep moving forward!:happy: :happy:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest changing your goal to something that is achievable in the short term.
    For example, my first goal was to log everything I ate. Not to cut down, though I found that as soonas I started logging I was more concious of how much I was eating and tended to cut down anyway.
    Next I set my weight loss goal to 1/2 pound per week so my calories were still reasonable. I found that this got me started and I'm still here 5 months later and 17 kg (37 pounds) lighter.

My goals might not work for you, but how about picking one thing to do/change - ie. eat a healthy meal when you wake up, walk for 30 mins 4 times a week, cut out soft drinks or chocolate, something like that. Once you have that in place, then change something else. This way you have much more change of success, less likelihood of failure and more chance to makes some real long term changes.
  • kayleighat
    kayleighat Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lucy you can workout with me!!! You should come along with me and my friend sometime or we can even go somewhere to workout thats free, like a park or something!