Food before morning exercise?

kell_riley
kell_riley Posts: 312
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I sometimes workout in the morning after dropping my son to school, I'm not one of these people who likes to eat straigh after waking up but if I'm going to the gym I'm thinking I should have something? Today I've had wholemeal bread with peanut butter, but it feels a little heavier than I would like in my stomach to go and exercise.
Would having a banana be enough to have? Or a yoghurt? I guess I'm after some ideas that isn't going to repeat on me and make me feel uncomfortable while exercising?
Or is it ok to do it on an empty stomach?

Replies

• schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    I restled with this for the longest time... long story short, I literaly have a bite of a banana and then workout... I used to do it on an empty stomach but, figured I best have something... See I wake up, exercise, then get everyone ready for the day/school/work, I dont have time for a breakfast and let it digest... after my workout I'll sit and eat my Oats with the family.
  • dingoes
    dingoes Posts: 12
    Hmm. I definitely think that a little something to get you going is definitely a good idea, food=energy and all that. But as I'm a newbie to this, not too sure what to suggest as far as what. Though I'm sure someone else does.

Edit: I like the above idea a lot.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    A banana is great! I might stay away from the yogurt if you are doing something cardio intensive. Dairy usually doesn't sit well.

Best wishes! :)
  • SixGun200
    SixGun200 Posts: 1
    When I was training for a marathon, I read somewhere that the body needs some carbohydrates to kick start the burning of fat. A little like a match to start a fire. Especially in the morning. Obviously, complex carbs are best.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    iv always been told to have a protein based breakfast, so if you have time make a scrambled egg on some wholemeal toast or i have been having whey protein made up with water with a banana mixed in to thicken it up. :o)
  • Working out before you eat in the morning is actually better.. When you workout before you eat in the morning you are burning fat and your metabolism is going and will burn your breakfast a lot faster.. If you eat breakfast then go workout all you are burning are calories.
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    I personally find banana's or bread a bit heavy on my stomach before I work out...I usually just have an apple if it's a morning work out with some water - just so I don't feel dizzy or faint.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    I don't eat before unless I'm running over 8 or 9 miles.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I asked my endo and my dietitian about this: they both said that I can choose whether to have breakfast before or after a workout. Apparently, there isn't support for one way or the other.

I guess you should do what feels comfortable to you.
  • dannidoc
    dannidoc Posts: 19
    i have a banana
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I always have a little something before I workout. I personally feel tired, nauseous, and sometimes even light headed if I workout on an empty stomach.

I don't think it is "wrong" either way, though. Whatever works for you as long you are eating the calories you are supposed to be getting throughout the day, then so be it. Everyone's body is different and you have to do what works for you.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Yeah definatley... you have a lot of ideas here, you could try them all and see what suits you, whether it be protein based, a shake, a banana, nothing, egg..... lots to choose from, you should try them and let us know how you get on?
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    I have eight almonds before I go running - it's a really small snack but somehow it works. If I don't eat before working out in the morning, I go slower and get tired quicker, so I figure the extra burn is worth it.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I used to jog first thing on an empty stomach and found that gave good results.

Lately I have been doing an early morning strength class one day a week, and I find that if I dont eat before it I get dizzy, so I'll try to nibble some nuts or fruit before I go. As has been said, there's no derintive right or wrong answer, if you find you can exerxise OK without eating, then dont feel you have to force yourself.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    i cant workout on an empty stomach, ill puke all over the gym. I dont think they'd appreciate that much lol. I normally eat a small bowl of cereal, or an egg on a piece of whole wheat toast. Im one of those who doesnt eat much as soon as i wake up too.
This discussion has been closed.