How do you work these blasted things...?

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
So, I have started going to the gym. I use the treadmill and the bike. Eventually, I'll hit the eliptical, as well. But what I'd like to add to my routine is some weight training. There are a TON of machines available to me at my gym. Only problem - I haven't the slightest idea how to use them or what the heck they do. This gym as at my community center, so there's not really some employee that I can go pester to help me out. I really want to target my arms and my lower abs - can anyone suggest which machines I should try to master?

Replies

• rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Great question....bumping for info. ;-)
  • kim824
    kim824 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube.com and search 'gym equipment' or something similar and you should get some ideas
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Ask at your gym if one of the trainers can show you the machines. Many gyms will even give you one free training session. if you are paying for the gym, it should come with instructions!
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's tough to explain as all machines have different names.. I know in our gym for abs we have two machines called the abdominal crunch and the total abdominal. The first one you sit on a seat, put some sort of gear over your shoulders (like in an an amusement part roller coaster) and then move down as in a crunch. The total abdominal is almost the same, but also trains your legs by moving your legs up.

But all in all the machines are often pretty self explantory, or ask a fellow sporter :) As a general rule, remember that with all strength training during your repetitions you should never let the tension go away, never overstretch anything and never let the weights come all the way back down until you're done.

Hope it helps at least a bit..

But truthfully, for lower abs.. there are some great exercises that don't involve machines at all. One is laying down on your back, bending your knees to a ninety degree angle, so thighs vertical and calves horizontal, then lift your hips up a little bit and back down, over and over.. another one has you lift your legs in the same way, but then kick them out straight one by one as if you're cycling. Work really well for lower abs!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Walk up to someone who looks like they know what they are doing (and looks friendly enough) and ask them to give you a quick run-down of the machine they're working on. The machines at my gym have diagrams on them of what muscles they target and how to use them. Or you can spy on everyone while you're on the treadmill (mirrors are awesome for this!) and try to work it out yourself...
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    if there isn't a staff member to help you, what about talking to some of the "regulars"?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This might help!

www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree with the trainer suggestion. If you don't use them properly you may injure yourself, which is not what you want I'm sure.
    The trainer can also give you routines to do with the machines, tell you how much weight you should start out with, etc. Most gyms should have a free session option.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    This might help!

www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Whoa! This is fantastic!! Thanks!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    jen!! you are talking to the right person on this. you want to work on abs and arms here are a few machines to use (if they have them):

lat pull machine, bench press, curls, see if you can get a medicine ball.....this can be used to work arms and can be used to as resistance for legs if you do squats while doing arms...great exercise.

for abs...see if they have a thing where you rest your arms and back on pads, but then bring your legs to your chest...works lower and side abs.....hard to explain...message me and i will explain it better.