mean trainer or nice trainer?

Options
McBody
McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
Hi- I just need a little input. I'll be leading my first every boot camp this weekend. I've worked with a variety of different people, from morbidly obese to training soldiers for Special Forces and have had to find different motivating factors for everyone in between. I had to be nice to some people and a harda$$ to others (especially the guys).

So I'm curious, for my first group of women- should I be the nice, encouraging trainer- or throw on my drill instructor hat and push them?

Replies

• emilyr5481
    emilyr5481 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the drill sargeant personally. :-)
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Can you find a happy medium? I've had the best relationships with a trainer that pushes me- he was tough, but also had a kind heart that showed he had my best interst in mind.
  • Rhondast
    Rhondast Posts: 93
    Options
    Can you find a line between the 2?
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Can you find a happy medium? I've had the best relationships with a trainer that pushes me- he was tough, but also had a kind heart that showed he had my best interst in mind.

Agree
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I bet you can find some research on gender specific motivators. Personnally, I like steely encouragement.
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think I would prefer a little nicer approach. BUT I also would want to know that you would push and be tough when I feel like I can't do it anymore. Could you be encouraging and somewhat tough at the same time? You wouldn't want the girls to get scared and not come back! :D
  • McBody
    Options
    I can definitely do something between the two- it's just tough because it's not a one-on-one session. The platoon I used to train was easy, because it was mostly guys and they were used to being yelled out, so I was a smart-*kitten* with them and they responded well to it... they still make fun of me because I told them that sprinting was their rest.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    My coaches in high school had a mean streak sometimes. It never did me any good. I resented it. There is a reason why I'm a faster runner now than I was in high school.

Yelling at me, cannot make me move any faster. But being a jerk, can demotivate me and make me move slower.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, I ran boot camps last summer for the first time. From my experience, I can tell you that what you should do is what you feel comfortable doing, don't cater to the clients if it's not your personality to do so. The sense of sincerity will permeate if you are true to your personality, and it'll feel easier and more natural for both you and the client. Some may not end up liking your style, but the ones who enjoy it will REALLY enjoy it, and they'll tell others.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I had a "drill sargeant" type trainer and I ended up leaving him. I think while some of us need the raw truth at times...too much tough love, I believe, can be counter-productive for women. Men definitely respond to the tough trainer but for women, I think it's 90% mental and 10% physical. If a woman is doing all the physical work, she's not going to get anywhere if she doesn't enjoy what she's doing. I don't think it means you have to pretend the class is full of whiners or go easy on them by any means, but any kind of guilt a woman feels about not doing something right is not going to help her at all.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree on the happy medium! I've only been working with a trainer for about 2 months. My regular trainer is on vacation, so I have a substitute. My regular trainer is pretty nice and does keep me motivated, but my substitute trainer is REALLY pushing me. He's not "mean" but is definitely tougher than my regular trainer, and I think I like that a bit better! But--I also feel like my regular trainer is more focused on form and doing things right, while my substitute trainer's goal is just to push me to my limits (and beyond!). So there's pros and cons to each, but I think an overly tough trainer would just make me angry and frustrated, while a too-nice trainer would make me complacent.
  • McBody
    Options
    So, I ran boot camps last summer for the first time. From my experience, I can tell you that what you should do is what you feel comfortable doing, don't cater to the clients if it's not your personality to do so. The sense of sincerity will permeate if you are true to your personality, and it'll feel easier and more natural for both you and the client. Some may not end up liking your style, but the ones who enjoy it will REALLY enjoy it, and they'll tell others.

Thanks for this- I like it. I am so sarcastic normally, and it's what I revert to when I train normally... trying to tell jokes to put people at ease. But I can get tough if they're slacking.
  • McBody
    Options
    I know I respond better to the drill instructor type- because I end up taking it more seriously... but then again I'm pretty competitive and loved my military upbringing.

I think I'll just have to play it by ear and get tough when it's called for.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not going to take a boot camp so you can hand my a lollipop afterwards! To me, boot camp means GET YOUR BUTT INTO GEAR!! As long as you aren't threatening to eat my first unborn child, I'm ok with you being the tough guy ;)
  • spampeg
    spampeg Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Before and after, be nice. During the routine(s), be one badass drill sargeant .
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For general training purposes, I think that unless people specifically ask to be pushed like that, it's best to stay somewhere between the two. Since this is a boot camp class, I'm assuming that those people want to be pushed in a way similar to military boot camp.

Personally, I would not respond well to the drill sergeant approach. You will earn my respect by showing me that you are well educated and know what you're doing. Then again, I would never sign up for a boot camp class.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to be a nice trainer AND push them. I've dealt with 11 different trainers over the past 17 months and I need positive encouragement and understanding. I would get very defensive when I hear things like "How bad do you want it?" Well, I want it bad but that doesn't mean I'm physically capable of doing something. I always give it my all.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm more a fan of "tough love". I like to hear things like:

"I know you're tired, but you've got 5 more left in you."

"Don't you give up on me!"

"Deeper on those squats! Deeper!"

"Only 15 seconds left - gut it out!"

What I don't like is Jillian Michael's style. I know a lot of people love her, but I feel there's no need for foul language. I also dislike her habit of gloating over people's pain. When she laughs at people and delights in watching someone vomit, I find that demotivating.

I believe you can push people without demeaning them. Good luck with your boot camp class!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My coaches in high school had a mean streak sometimes. It never did me any good. I resented it. There is a reason why I'm a faster runner now than I was in high school.

Yelling at me, cannot make me move any faster. But being a jerk, can demotivate me and make me move slower.
    My exact experience. I make me avoid everything gym related for literally decades. Yelling at me only causes me to withdraw.
  • ChellieT
    ChellieT Posts: 6
    Options
    Be nice before....mean during...and encouraging and supportive after. That's what my trainer is right now, and it's really working for me. He even cries with us sometimes (denies the tears but we see them) His view is this is no joke, it's your life, stop wasting time.