Elk for dinner?

Options
my FIL brings me ground elk and elk steaks. I've only been able to do a lighter taco or burrito version with the ground meat and my first attempt with the steak was a disaster!!!
Does anyone have any suggestions/recipes they know of for these two very lean products?
Thanks so much!! :drinker:

Replies

• Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    :(
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have never made elk.... but the key to Venison or Bison steaks is VERY hot fire and cook it rare. The other option is long cooking in a stew or braise....
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Lower fat and lean meats mean you have to cook them to a more rarer so they dont dry out.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    my dad's a hunter and we have that kind of stuff all the time. a steak is hard, you really have to know how to cook it to make it not taste "gamey" or gets really dry. marinading helps, and you have to make sure you don't over cook it...

my mom has mastered making chili, and started making meatballs, ravioli, and lasagna with the ground meat. it's pretty amazing :)

BBQing it is also pretty good. we take a small cube of meat, a piece of feta cheese, a slice of jalapeno, wrap it in turkey bacon, stick a toothpick through it and throw them on the BBQ....AWESOME!!! not the greatest for out diets, but they're still awesome!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I marinaid my elk steak and then slap it on the barbeque...so damn good
  • spareparts79
    spareparts79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I grill it at the same temp. as I do beef steaks just for a little shorter time. But I also use grass fed very lean beef so that may not be the best example.

I can't remember exactly but somewhere around 350* on the BBQ and cook for around 6 mins on each side (if not thawed completely may need to cook 6 mins 3 times). I season it with garlic powder (lightly) and lemon pepper.

May or may not work for you. I love the taste of wild meat so I try not to cover it up too much.
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine smoked the elk steaks we had and they were so good! Wrap them really good in tin foil so you dont loose all of the juice and use what ever sauces you want to.