Struggling with Cardio

Elizabeth_C34
Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi folks,

I am really struggling to do cardio these days. I have a heart condition (mitral valve prolapse) that has been acting up every single time I try to do my cardio workouts, and I'm having trouble burning enough calories during my workouts. I am under doctor supervision and my cardiologist is encouraging me to continue losing weight and working out.

I do heavy weight training (40-50 mins) 3 times per week. Normally, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical at 130 RPMs, but I can barely do 10 now at 80rpms. It's getting really frustrating and annoying. I need to find something to burn more calories without getting my heart rate up too high.

Suggestions?

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Sounds frustrating. What about walking?
  • chrisuy
    chrisuy Posts: 39 Member
    How about walking? If you're just looking to lose weight and burn calories, walking should fit the bill perfectly.

You might have to walk longer to get the caloric burn that you're looking for, but certainly it can be done!
  • jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Maybe the stationary bike? I find I can get a pretty awesome calorie burn without stressing my heart too much. I also have a heart condition and have to be a bit careful with how hard I get it pumping.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    How about a bike? Or a slow (relatively) walk with an incline?
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Do yourself a favor and pick up (or DIY- very easy) a weighted hula hoop. Hula hooping burns 108 calories for every 8 minutes while running up and down steps burns 100 for every 10. Don't say you can't hula hoop, if you don't think you can, try a weighted one! Something with the water and the tension makes it extremely easy to maneuver. I've taught big *kitten* male body builders how to hula hoop.... In my opinion is one of the most effective and fun ways to burn calories! Plus it will give you a tight belly!
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    My uncle has lost a lot of weight doing Yoga. I'd try that. I do it once in a while and feel like I got a good work out, but I don't remember my heart rate increasing much.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    I prefer the Cybex Arc Trainer as it burns more calories than any other cardio I've done. I can burn 300 cals in 30 minutes at a moderate pace and I weigh 110 lbs. Worth a try.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Maybe the stationary bike? I find I can get a pretty awesome calorie burn without stressing my heart too much. I also have a heart condition and have to be a bit careful with how hard I get it pumping.

I hadn't even thought of the stationary bike. I might give that a try! :)

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Some great info here.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Hi folks,

I am really struggling to do cardio these days. I have a heart condition (mitral valve prolapse) that has been acting up every single time I try to do my cardio workouts, and I'm having trouble burning enough calories during my workouts. I am under doctor supervision and my cardiologist is encouraging me to continue losing weight and working out.

I do heavy weight training (40-50 mins) 3 times per week. Normally, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical at 130 RPMs, but I can barely do 10 now at 80rpms. It's getting really frustrating and annoying. I need to find something to burn more calories without getting my heart rate up too high.

Suggestions?

What do you mean by "acting up?" Are you experiencing dyspnea, tachycardia, dizziness?

If you are having symptoms, that's really more of a question for your doctor.

You might also try
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Walking is great. You won't burn as many calories as fast as an eliptical though. You might have to walk for a longer period to achieve the same calorie burn.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Hi folks,

Suggestions?

What do you mean by "acting up?" Are you experiencing dyspnea, tachycardia, dizziness?

You might also try

I get tachycardia and a lot of chest pain and shortness of breath. My Cardiologist has already evaluated me thoroughly and wants me to continue working out. He's likely going to put me on beta blockers after all my bloodwork gets back which should make it so I can do a normal cardio workout without having as many symptoms.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    I assume you have talked to your doctor about this problem?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    I assume you have talked to your doctor about this problem?

Yes, see above posts.
  • Julie252
    Julie252 Posts: 20 Member
    I also have a heart condition (along with an implanted defibrillator). I also find exercise difficult at times and like you, my cardiologist has encouraged exercise. Being out of shape, I find it is difficult to determine what is heart related issue versus just being out of shape. I am on beta blockers and don't know if that is helpful or a hindrance. In any case, start slow and listen to your body but gradually increase intensity. I recently started couch to 5k. It is a nine week program, but I don't care if it takes me 6 mo or more to complete. My main goal is just increasing my fitness level which for me isn't too hard since I'm starting near zero. Best of luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Hi folks,

Suggestions?

You might also try

I get tachycardia and a lot of chest pain and shortness of breath. My Cardiologist has already evaluated me thoroughly and wants me to continue working out. He's likely going to put me on beta blockers after all my bloodwork gets back which should make it so I can do a normal cardio workout without having as many symptoms.

If he is going to put you on beta blockers, then you should be able to continue whatever you were doing. Beta blockers will reduce your fitness capacity somewhat , but you can still see training improvement and still lose weight. It is just more difficult. Perhaps you will do well enough on a lower dosage. Good luck.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    If he is going to put you on beta blockers, then you should be able to continue whatever you were doing. Beta blockers will reduce your fitness capacity somewhat , but you can still see training improvement and still lose weight. It is just more difficult. Perhaps you will do well enough on a lower dosage. Good luck.

I have a stress test scheduled next week to determine the severity of the regugitation. My doc said that will help him determine what the dosage should be for the beta blockers, but he also wanted to get my bloodwork done to make sure I could be on them. I hope I can so I can not have so many symptoms anymore. It's incredibly frustrating knowing I can do more but my heart won't let me.
This discussion has been closed.