Calories by checking Heart Rate

Options
I know somebody knows this. I tried googleing it but I can't find anything I understand.
SO, I will ask mfp friends:

How do I figure out calories burned by counting my heart beats?

THANK YOU

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Probably not the answer you want to hear, but you need a HRM. There is a formula I'm sure, but as your heart rate goes up and down during exercise with the intensity levels, you must contiually take your heart rate and the length of time it is that rate to come up with the calorie burn. That is why the wrist watch versions are usually a little off. You get it set at one heart rate, but then you need to reset it if you change intensity.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    To make it easy, a decent HRM will do the math for you if you program in all your info.

To do it manually, you will need to take you HR multple times during your exercise session to get a good average and then there are calorie buring calcs out there that take HR into account.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    are you asking for the formula to calculate exercise calories by hand? As stated above, you CAN find an average, but that's all it will be, better off using an HRM with a calorie counter for direct measurement. By hand can be wildly inaccurate. I can go look it up in my nutrition text if you still want it, but it's going to be a rough guess, of that I can guarantee you.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just found this site...maybe it will help?

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies.
    I do have a heart rate monitor around here somewhere, I guess I"ll have to search it out.
    I thought maybe I could count my heart beats and the end of a cardio exercise and do some kind of calculation to figure out the calories.

Thanx again!