Calculating strength training

Options
How do you calculate how many calories you burn during strength training? Does anyone have a good formula for this?

Replies

• Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    the most accurate is a heart rate monitor with a chest strap...everything else is just a guess
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    the most accurate is a heart rate monitor with a chest strap...everything else is just a guess

even using a HRM is an estimate for strength training as the HRM assumes you are working out the whole time when usually with strength training the rests are longer than the lifting portions. If you take very little rest or do circuits it will be more accurate than with traditional strength training routines.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Its best just to count those calories as a freebee. Or calculate them really low. If I work out for a whole half hour I will count it as 100 calories burned. and that is only if I lift HARD.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, there's no easy formula for this, HRM's won't even be close. Because true strength training increases the EPOC (post exercise oxygen burn) for hours and sometimes days after the exercise, an HRM won't accurately perceive it, thus the only thing you can do is make a best guess, the total for a good full body routine an hour long that leaves you fatigued is generally going to be in the 300 to 500 calorie range, but this will vary widely per person, it could be as low as 200 but as high as 1000 for some.
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    On my strength training days, I do a 10 minute run as my warm up, I usually only count that as my calories burned and maybe add a little depending on hard I worked... solo vs class setting. I burn more in a class than solo. It's better to be conservative when counting exercise calories and a little more liberal when you counting you food calories! :)
  • bekarutt
    bekarutt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely do a 10-15 min. cardio warm-up before i do strength. I guess i just want to be able to count every calorie burned in my routine that i can. I try and keep the bare minimum calories burned during strength training. Most of the time I use a calculation from an internet site so i get an idea of what i might have burned. I guess its best to not count them.

Thanks everyone!
  • esavery
    esavery Posts: 4
    Options
    I asked the same thing, and the developers told me there is a Strength Training under the cardiovascular section in exercise. I use that....plus I add my treadmill warm up separate. Hope that helps
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by strength training.. I wear my HRM for my personal training sessions where we lift weights, but to me its more like circuit training then traditional lifting.

For one personal training session I burn between 500 and 700 calories.
  • bekarutt
    bekarutt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I asked the same thing, and the developers told me there is a Strength Training under the cardiovascular section in exercise. I use that....plus I add my treadmill warm up separate. Hope that helps

Thanks for the tip!