Diet Pills make me Jealous!

Options
I just found out that someone close to me is taking diet pills. I've been working really hard with diet and exercise to lose weight, and have lost about 30 since the very beginning of my journey almost a year ago. This person has lost about 40 in the last 3-4 months, and I'm super jealous. I know that I'm doing it the smart way, but she's lost it so much faster! She started after me and has lost more! Just wanted to share my frustration .

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Yes, she has lost more at the moment, BUT she will most likely gain it all back and more as soon as she stops taking the pills. She has not learned how to eat properly. YOU, on the other hand, arelearning how to take care of your body properly and keep the weight off in a healthy manner for the rest of your life. In one year, she will probably be up higher than her original starting weight, while you will be sitting pretty and a healthy weight.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I work with a girl that took adipex and lost about 35-40 pounds in the time I lost my 20. HOWEVER, she did not really change her eating habits that much and I can forsee her gaining some of it back. I feel like I did it the right way by making this a lifestyle change instead of a "for now" change and I know I will keep the weight off. So, there you have it.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    It's ok if we're the tortoises. We'll win the race.
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    Ditto to Maddy Mama... most people go back to their usual lifestyles after doing diet pills and then they gain all that weight again and again! You are doing it the right way, making lifestyle changes that will continue for the rest of your life will keep that weight from coming back! It's frustrating, I know. My mother in law does every fad diet on earth and loves to tell me how much she has lost... but it's the same 20 lbs that she is losing everytime she does a new diet!! I totally share in your frustration, but I am more proud of the 5 little lbs that I lost because I am doing it the right way, and this weight AIN'T EVERY COMING BACK!
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes, she has lost more at the moment, BUT she will most likely gain it all back and more as soon as she stops taking the pills. She has not learned how to eat properly. YOU, on the other hand, arelearning how to take care of your body properly and keep the weight off in a healthy manner for the rest of your life. In one year, she will probably be up higher than her original starting weight, while you will be sitting pretty and a healthy weight.

Also, check your friend's blood pressure and sugar? I will bet both is off the charts. That is what diet pills do and how they work. What is she still eating that you do not?

You are jealous of an illusion.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    The other posters are right, but I totally understand your frustration...it IS hard when someone starts after you and loses more/loses more quickly. Just try to keep reminding yourself that each person's body is totally different, and so comparing yourself to someone else makes no sense - apples and oranges. Even if you did the exact same workouts, ate the exact same foods, had the exact same starting weights and ending weights, you'd lose at different rates. The only person it makes sense to compare yourself to is the yourself you used to be :) You're doing great!!!
  • SSampley
    SSampley Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have taken adipex before and have lost weight really fast, but then I stopped and gain most of it back!! That was a couple years ago...This year I have lost the same amount of weight that I did before and it has been alot harder and it is hard because I am tempted to get those speckled little pills again...but I really want to lose the weight this time and keep it off!! That is why I am doing it the healthy way and changing how I eat and live!! I understand your frustration but believe me she'll probably gain it back...
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to be soooo jealous of people on prescription diet pills. But then I had a friend who took Adipex a year ago, she dropped 30+ pounds and looked amazing. But she didn't change anything. She didn't exercise at all and she didn't change her eating habits once she was off of it. She has gained about 20 of the 30 back and still isn't doing anything about it except talking about trying to get back on adipex again. I don't know why she wants to because she had severe heart palpitations and flutters and other crazy side effects. It suppressed her appetite so much that she really didn't eat at all ( one small meal a day) which is how she lost the weight. It sounds a little scary to me now! I keep telling myself I am learning much more valuable skills like how to eat healthy portions and make good decisions and forming lifelong healthy habits. Each time a pound comes off it is the best most triumphant feeling in the world :)