how to LOSE and not MAINTAIN

brookekeziah
brookekeziah Posts: 10
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
I currently can only have around 1400 calories a day and most of the time I use all of them but some days I don't. I run on the treadmill for 20 - 30 min everyday and that usually burns 230-300 calories but I feel like i'm maintaining my weight and not losing!

Replies

• Seems like you made need to do 6 small meals a day and jumpstart your motabolism. It sounds simple but it can be challenging once you get used to it. Give it a try!

7940140.png[/url]
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    You need to eat all of your calories, including your exercise calories. Doing this will keep your metabolism in high gear which will burn fat. Try it out for a week or 2 and see what results you get.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,459 Member
    If you haven't had a "cheat day" in a while, maybe try that...within reason, of course. And try to shake something up. Do something different for exercise, try more meals like previously mentioned...are you drinking enough water? Good luck!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,499 Member
    bump
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Try switching up your exercise and see if that helps. If you do something for too long, your body gets used to it and then it doesn't burn as much/or have the same results.

Also try experimenting with not eating your exercise calories or only eating half. I find that when I eat mine, I maintain and don't lose.
  • When I haven't lost any for a week or more, it seems like a cheat day does the trick. :) Just have to make sure you go right back on track eating your target amount of calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Not being able to see your food diary prevents people from giving really useful advice. 1400 calories should not be a maintenance level for you unless you are really short. How tall are you? What sort of foods are you eating? How active are you through the day? How long have you been eating at 1400? How carefully do you measure your portions (eyeball it or weigh/measure carefully)? All these will play into this.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,075 Member
    Without seeing your diary... it's really hard to offer suggestions. What kind of foods are you eating to get those 1400? Clean, wholesome foods or 1400 calories worth of crap? Are you eating your exercise calories (you should)... your net calories consumed needs to be at your goal.

If you are doing all that you say you are doing... you should be losing weight. The data doesn't lie so analyze it and look for the culprit. Too much sodium? Too many carbs, not enough protein? Eating vegetables, lean meats, fruits? Drinking water? Wearing a heart rate monitor so your calories burned are accurate?
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    When you guys say cheat what does that mean? How much of a cheat are we talking about? I am in the same situation. i do 1200 eat back my calories and the scale really hasnt move much in the past 3 weeks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    When you guys say cheat what does that mean? How much of a cheat are we talking about? I am in the same situation. i do 1200 eat back my calories and the scale really hasnt move much in the past 3 weeks.

When I say cheat, I mean eat whatever you want and don't worry about calories. For example it was our anniversary last week and we went out to a wonderful all you can eat buffet. I ate whatever and however much I wanted to. I guessed at calories since there was no real way to record what I ate. Did I gain a few pounds from it the next day, yes, but that was mostly water weight and came off in a matter of days. The thing is, if you have been in a caloric deficit for a long time, something like that can help keep the weight loss going. I know I have not had any plateaus since I started, but I also had times either days, sometimes weeks, where I would eat freely. The key is to not have this through you off track completely and to eat healthy 95% of the time.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    You need to eat all of your calories, including your exercise calories. Doing this will keep your metabolism in high gear which will burn fat. Try it out for a week or 2 and see what results you get.

Disagree. Eating your calories back is an excuse to eat--per my trainer/nutritionist.
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member

Disagree. Eating your calories back is an excuse to eat--per my trainer/nutritionist.

This would only be true if you were Not already calorie deficient
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member

This would only be true if you were Not already calorie deficient

But what about those who don't even have a 500 calorie deficit eating at 1,200 a day?
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    I say eat healthier foods, drink more water, and try something else besides running on a tredmill.
    Try to run outside - incorporate hills - run for a longer period of time - try doing a class at a gym - zumba is great - cardio kickboxing - spinning -
    do you do any weight training? you should try different things and switch things up so you don't get bored.
This discussion has been closed.