Do you "eat" your workout calories burned?

Options
Do you eat your post or pre workout calories? For example, if you budget 1200 calories a day, do you count the 1200 calories even with exercise, or do you estimate how many cals you burned working out and add them to your 1200 to make up the defecit?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Being here on MFP I follow the program as designed which is to eat the exercise calories when I earn them (been a while).
  • bargmannr
    bargmannr Posts: 15
    Options
    I eat back some of them but not all of them
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i have no clue! do whatever makes you lose weight faster lol
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    I only eat them back if I am hungry. You don't want to force feed yourself and get sick or anything!
  • sportsjunkee70
    sportsjunkee70 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    No I do not eat them back. Ultimately weight loss = burn more calories than you eat.... .if you are eating back your calories than you're not really losing weight... maybe 1lb. Eating back your exercise calories is more for maintaining your current weight.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    STOLEN!

Screenshot2011-06-10at33445PM-1.png
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I set my limit to 1200 calories so i will eat them back without feeling bad because 1200 it lower then what i need to maintain my weight. Plus i do muscle building exercises and i want to feed the muscle, i dont want them to shrink.

Oh I only burn 200 or so a day and on some days i will burn 600 i dont eat all of it back if i cant.
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    LOL @ the bunny.
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat at least 1200 NET calories a day. So sometimes I eat back some of my earned calories,I just try to stay between 1200-1500 per day. Hope this helps
    :flowerforyou:
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I only eat them back if I am hungry. You don't want to force feed yourself and get sick or anything!

this sometimes i do seems like more so on weekends
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No I do not eat them back. Ultimately weight loss = burn more calories than you eat.... .if you are eating back your calories than you're not really losing weight... maybe 1lb. Eating back your exercise calories is more for maintaining your current weight.

This!

When I dropped my goal to half a week loss and ate back my exercise calories, all I did was maintain.
    Now that I'm back to pound a week loss and not eating my exercise calories, it's working out just fine.
  • debrajane81
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories a day. I try very hard NOT to eat the calories burned by exercise even though when posted on myfitnesspal it will say that i have earned them back. Sticking to your allotted calories and ignoring the exercise calories will lead to quicker success.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Actually eating them back ensures you lose your goal amount of weight, whatever you set it at. Not eating may lead to too large of a caloric deficit which can cause a lot of problems. If you have a lot to lose 75+ lbs, you may be able to get away with not eating them but the closer you are to your goal the more important it is to eat them.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Personally, I only eat if I'm hungry. Period. Eating when I wasn't hungry is how I got to be carrying 180 extra pounds around.

HOWEVER, with that said, everybody is different and every body is different. You have to find what works for YOU. Experiment a little. Eat all of them back for a week. Eat some of the back the next. Eat none of them back the next. Choose one. What works now may change in 6 or 8 months and you'll have to re-evaluate.
  • GamecockFan14
    GamecockFan14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    yeah. I def have 75+ lbs to lose, so that works for me!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I eat 1400 calories a day. I try very hard NOT to eat the calories burned by exercise even though when posted on myfitnesspal it will say that i have earned them back. Sticking to your allotted calories and ignoring the exercise calories will lead to quicker success.

Not necessarily, a lot of people hit plateaus by doing this, you need to fuel your workouts, not to mention you will lose much more muscle while losing fat, it you do not eat back the calories you burn.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options

This would be wrong.

You tell MFP how much weight you want to lose per week. (I'm at half a lb.) It does some factoring and tells you how many calories to consume based on what you say your level of activity is. If you work out more than your initial activity setting, then you should eat those calories back.
  • donmikulecky
    donmikulecky Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ignore the workout calories and try to stick to the same daily limit. I do not believe the calories burned figures to be accurate. Secondly the big reason for exercise is to maintain a higher BMR. The calories burned are small relative to that effect.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com

Always have and always will eat my exercise calories... who says that doesn't work? Those who don't know what they are talking about... that's who.